Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just Received An Email Stating that my VIN is ready. What's the next step?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Investor9872

White Ext/Int MY LR, EDD December 2022
Apr 12, 2022
SoCal
A quick question to everyone. I just received an email stating that my VIN has been assigned, and that I'm supposed to arrange for full payment before delivery at the local service center can take place. If I do that, can I still walk away if we find quality control issues (like mismatching paint and panel alignment issues) during the visual inspection? Will I get my full payment back (minus the $250 ordering fee)?

I keep reading that some people had rejected their VIN twice, because their cars weren't acceptable to them during their inspections, and I'm wondering if they got their full refund back after Tesla canceled their orders. Other brands usually give you the opportunity to inspect the car before making the final payment. Tesla is doing this backward to me since they wanted the Full Payment before I even get the chance to inspect my car. It's been a long 8+ month wait for my MYLR.

Last edited:
Once you get your VIN, the next step is to get your payment prepared and all the other checklist item on the app done. You will be scheduled a delivery date and that is usually pretty accurate.

If there are QC issues, you can decline it but I believe there's a limit on how many VINs you can decline before your order gets cancelled altogether. I do not know what happens to your initial payment setup. Pretty sure you will need to work that out with your sales/delivery team member (Usually on your app). If you have it setup for you to pick up at their service center, you might have more options vs. a home delivery.

Also, without clicking accept to your delivery, you won't be able to inspect the inside of your car or even drive it. At least not for a home delivery. You might be able to get a service advisor to help you with said inspection if you are picking up at a local service center.