Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just received Model 3 configuration/order email

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received my email from Tesla telling me it’s time to configure my Model 3. I’m in the Seattle metro area.

I’m NOT going to use this. Circumstances have changed (getting divorced) so my Model S is all I need and can afford. If anyone else is interested in using my spot in line - and lives in the Seattle metro area - I’m open to discussions.

I can’t transfer the reservation, but I can go through the order process for someone else, have that other person pay for and take possession of the vehicle at delivery. I never own it, I just act as an intermediary through the order process. At least that’s my understanding right now.

Although there’s no specific terms to disallow the dual name tactic, there is a clause I don’t remember in any previous owner agreement regarding buying in “bad faith” for resale:

No Resellers; Discontinuation. Tesla and its affiliates sell cars directly to end-consumers, and we may unilaterally cancel any order that we believe has been made with a view toward resale of the Vehicle or that has otherwise been made in bad faith. We may also cancel your order and refund your Order Payment if we discontinue a product, feature or option after the time you place your order or if we determine that you are acting in bad faith.
Not sure if this is directly applicable, though would add some hesitancy for me doing it - even with the noblest of intent.

Also, there may be a buglet on the website. My first 3 reservation got ordered immediately, though the second reservation is saying I can configure now too. I’m not intending that and placed in on hold for the D, though originally this was saying it would only be available much later... not at the same time as the first reservation. Not sure why.