Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just received my new car without ultrasonic sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

C-rob

Nov 28, 2022
Utah
Moderator note: The title of this thread has been edited from the original.

I just found out that my car was not equipped with the USS features, but has not transitioned over to the new tesla vision. So currently has not safety features like parking assist or sensors, not blindspot alerts, no summons or really minimum self driving features. This is a 2023 with no safety. What do I do??

Last edited by a moderator:
I just found out that my car was not equipped with the USS features, but has not transitioned over to the new tesla vision. So currently has not safety features like parking assist or sensors, not blindspot alerts, no summons or really minimum self driving features. This is a 2023 with no safety. What do I do??
Pretty sure there was a notice you had to accept as part of your delivery process acknowledging this and that the features would be restored as soon as possible via Tesla vision updates.

1669680226063.png

So the short answer is nothing.

Welcome to Tesla!

I'm just as upset at the removal of the USS as the next person. When I'd placed my order 8 months ago, it had it then. But after reading your post, don't you think you're over-reacting a bit? Buyers' remorse? Not having those things you mentioned doesn't all of the sudden make you forget how to drive a car, does it? How did you drive before without any of those tech?

I am thinking twice of getting one now.. Plus it is so expensive, there should be some features from the start..

No one seems to be reading the disclaimer they are agreeing to when they are assigned a VIN.

Your car comes fully equipped with Vision-based Autopilot, which, once your car is updated to the latest version of software (2022.40.4.1), works pretty darn well and doesn't rely on USS at all. The standard Autopilot suite comes with all active emergency safety features activated by default.

These include:
  • Lane Assist (Blind spot monitoring, in Tesla's interaction, relies on vision and not on the USS or rear facing radar like in other cars)
    • Lane departure avoidance
    • Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance
    • Automatic Blind spot Camera
  • Collision Avoidance Assist:
    • Forward Collision Warning
    • Automatic Emergency Braking
    • Multi-Collsion Braking
    • Obstacle-Aware Acceleration
All of these systems operate under Tesla vision only.

These are in addition to Tesla's long history of making some of the safest vehicles anyone can buy. I trust my family's safety with them so much I bought two.

Tesla removed the USS array from ALL Telsa vehicles in October of 2022. There are still some X/S being produced with them, but the majority of vehicles popping up now are USS-less.

The updates and limitations of the current system were announced via press release by Tesla. Just like I had to sign a disclaimer about my car being limited to the radar-less Vision only system back in 2021, there is a disclaimer about the lack of USS and the system's limitations when you were assigned a VIN.

Don't mean to come off as harsh, but these kinds of posts strike a chord with me. You just purchased one of the safest cars on the road. Period. To say there are no safety features is false and misinformed. If you don't want it cause it can't beep when you're not paying attention while backing up, cancel your order.

Last edited:
No one seems to be reading the disclaimer they are agreeing to when they are assigned a VIN.

Your car comes fully equipped with Vision-based Autopilot, which, once your car is updated to the latest version of software (2022.40.4.1), works pretty darn well and doesn't rely on USS at all. The standard Autopilot suite comes with all active emergency safety features activated by default.

These include:
  • Lane Assist (Blind spot monitoring, in Tesla's interaction, relies on vision and not on the USS or rear facing radar like in other cars)
    • Lane departure avoidance
    • Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance
    • Automatic Blind spot Camera
  • Collision Avoidance Assist:
    • Forward Collision Warning
    • Automatic Emergency Braking
    • Multi-Collsion Braking
    • Obstacle-Aware Acceleration
All of these systems operate under Tesla vision only.

These are in addition to Tesla's long history of making some of the safest vehicles anyone can buy. I trust my family's safety with them so much I bought two.

Tesla removed the USS array from ALL Telsa vehicles in October of 2022. There are still some X/S being produced with them, but the majority of vehicles popping up now are USS-less.

The updates and limitations of the current system were announced via press release by Tesla. Just like I had to sign a disclaimer about my car being limited to the radar-less Vision only system back in 2021, there is a disclaimer about the lack of USS and the system's limitations when you were assigned a VIN.

Don't mean to come off as harsh, but these kinds of posts strike a cord with me. You just purchased one of the safest cars on the road. Period. To say there are no safety features is false and misinformed. If you don't want it cause it can't beep when you're not paying attention while backing up, cancel your order.

I was getting ready to post the same thing, but you said it better than I would have.

The OP here has 2 posts, both saying (incorrectly) that their car was delivered without safety features. The entire suite of safety features you listed is on the car they bought, so the thread title itself is a fabrication. If it was in the model 3 subforum I would change the title (and merge the thread into the "no USS" existing thread since this is a complaint about that.

I get people complaining about that stuff, but this OP joined TMC today (nov 28th) to pitch this "my car doesnt have safety features" angle. its one thing to be upset about no USS, I totally get that, and frankly agree. This, though completely loses me, especially when it looks like deliberate misinformation.

Store rep told me today that cars being currently delivered already have parking sensors enabled through the cameras. Is this accurate? This thread makes it sound like not.
I am not following it closely as it doesnt impact me, but the most active discussion I know of is here:

Its likely that thread would be one of the first ones people would post in if any model 3s got parking sensors activated by a firmware update or something. Last I saw they hadnt, but I havent checked it in a few days.

I wonder if you don’t click the button to process for delivery until, let say dec 31, May be you can use it as to ‘delay’ your order and get the 2023 tax credit.

I get the frustration over the switch from USS to Tesla Vision. I feel Tesla should have added the capabilities to Tesla Vision before removing the USS.

With that said saying the car has no safety features is going a little far. The options are to buy it and wait for the OTA update or delay purchase until the features are available with Tesla Vision.

Reactions: alex77
My USS seems to be easily blocked by snow so far this winter, giving me the "STOP" warning a few times when I'm not near anything and only having a tiny amount of snow on the bumper. I don't recall this being an issue last winter, so maybe some of my USS is about to die? I guess if Tesla can get vision to feature parity with the USS, I'd welcome it.

We can sit here and complain about Tesla vehicles not having sensors or small minor crap, but in reality they are the best EV's out here which includes their charging network. I have driven others and yes they are visually appealing and have bling on the interior, they just don't compare technology wise to Tesla. Tesla cars are constantly updating and getting better (some may think otherwise). If you want it buy and enjoy it.. Life is short

Status
Not open for further replies.