Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just received my new car without ultrasonic sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The stats from Tesla are misleading (“winner’s bias”) because they are limited to a set of scenarios where FSD can work and there is a “safety net” - a human who has to take over when the FSD simply gives up.

We have to compare FSD against humans on the same road, under the same conditions and every FSD failure is a crash, as every human failure is a crash. Unfortunately, that data is not available.

Yes, FSD is basically only available to function when its very safe conditions. Humans would have many less accidents if you only tracked the time they were driving in the same very safe conditions.

Reactions: jeewee3000
@Boza - I understand your points, but I don't think that impacts the ability to claim success.

On limited scenarios - Let's say the comparison is Vehicle Set A (a group of cars with approx 70% FSD driving, 30% human driving in tough "non-FSD-able" conditions), vs Vehicle Set B (100% human driving in all conditions), both sets statistically large and doing statistically average driving over a period of time. Sure, we could say that FSD "skipped the hard parts" - and that's true. But if the statistics (FSD augmented by a human, vs human driving alone) say that FSD was a net safety benefit - that's still a success, even if FSD wasn't driving 100%.

And on "when the FSD simply gives up"... don't forget that humans do that too...

View attachment 885041
Agree that FSD is beneficial. I regularly drive 200+ miles on a highway and use it a lot in sunny conditions. It performs generally well and I feel more relaxed at the end. That puts it in “driver assistance” category, together with cruise control, power steering, etc. - definitely not a replacement for the human as Tesla is trying to portray it.

Reactions: jeewee3000
Presumably you have discovered the function that puts the camera views on screen? And overlays the path the car is going to follow when you reverse on the rear view? And you have wing mirrors?

I genuinely have trouble understanding the hyperbole on these USS threads. Removing them from orders already in progress is a dick move, to be sure, but from these posts anyone would think that the car was literally unusable.
Yup “dick move” for sure. Seems worse that they really didn’t make an effort to be as transparent about it as possible nor plan the transition well. Should have offered USS to anyone who ordered it and wanted it. Had a working equivalent Vision product to replace USS seamlessly. Not to mention that EAP buyers lost out on self parking etc (for the open ended future) that they paid 6k for today.

Car obviously isn’t “unusable”. It drives. Still safe. May potentially regain these proximity features in short order. But I think there’s such a track record of overpromise and underdeliver (or delays in delivery) that makes buyers feel they didn’t get the product that they paid a hefty premium for.

But I think there’s such a track record of overpromise and underdeliver (or delays in delivery) that makes buyers feel they didn’t get the product that they paid a hefty premium for.
The features added far outweigh those taken away. While radar, USS, and passenger side lumbar support adjustment were removed, the list of added features includes:
  • Larger main battery
  • Bio-weapon defense mode
  • Li-ion low voltage battery
  • Ryzen processor
  • 10 miles extra range due to better efficiency
  • Heated wipers
  • Cargo cover
  • Improved rear door emergency release
  • Heated steering wheel

I would gladly trade radar, USS, and passenger side lumbar support adjustment for just the larger battery. Or just the Li-ion battery. Or just Bio-weapon defense mode. Or just the Ryzen processor. When you combine all of the new goodies, it's a no-brainer.

The features added far outweigh those taken away. While radar, USS, and passenger side lumbar support adjustment were removed, the list of added features includes:
  • Larger main battery
  • Ryzen processor
  • Heated wipers
  • Cargo cover
  • Heated steering wheel

I would gladly trade radar, USS, and passenger side lumbar support adjustment for just the larger battery. Or just the Li-ion battery. Or just Bio-weapon defense mode. Or just the Ryzen processor. When you combine all of the new goodies, it's a no-brainer.
I think you’re actually being conservative. As a 2020 buyer I could easily add 25 more added items they Included. Granted I don’t follow the “entitled“ stance and and very happy with the car I received.

Reactions: Mullermn and BitJam
  • Larger main battery
  • Ryzen processor
  • Heated wipers
  • Cargo cover
  • Heated steering wheel

Also comfort suspension and matrix headlights for some

Reactions: jsight
While radar, USS, and passenger side lumbar support adjustment were removed
Also removed were the center console USB data ports, the window vent feature, the ability to select regen strength, the interior color-matched door panels, the bundled charging cable, the front center speaker, etc, plus some features that were added or available but then selectively removed later (matrix headlights, CCS charging compatibility, pre-2022.20 non-FSD green light chime, boombox while driving, Gemini+Michelin snow tire option).

I'm not disagreeing with your conclusion, that the cars are ultimately better now than when they started. But if comparing lists, there was a lot more removed than just radar, USS, and passenger lumbar.

At the end of the day, I think it's more about transparency versus a dice roll. Example; These are the standards features for this year's (Or however they want to compartmentalize it) Model. Your car that was ordered, due to availability (Or whatever) only comes with 95% (Or whatever) of the features. These are the list of features you have and the list of features you don't have. For the missing features, you will get $X amount of credit towards your total. Alternatively, you can decline this VIN and wait in line.

So you can still have random builds but gives some sort of a choice to buyers so they know what they are getting themselves into when they click the dreaded accept delivery button on the app. Nobody, if given the choice will want to spend months waiting for a car only to be let down for not getting x, y or z features. Worse yet, having to find out what features you are missing by comparing notes with likeminded internet randoms (Hello friends), lol.

Reactions: Boza
  • Larger main battery
  • Ryzen processor
  • Heated wipers
  • Cargo cover
  • Heated steering wheel

I would gladly trade radar, USS, and passenger side lumbar support adjustment for just the larger battery. Or just the Li-ion battery. Or just Bio-weapon defense mode. Or just the Ryzen processor. When you combine all of the new goodies, it's a no-
At the end of the day, I think it's more about transparency versus a dice roll. Example; These are the standards features for this year's (Or however they want to compartmentalize it) Model. Your car that was ordered, due to availability (Or whatever) only comes with 95% (Or whatever) of the features. These are the list of features you have and the list of features you don't have. For the missing features, you will get $X amount of credit towards your total. Alternatively, you can decline this VIN and wait in line.

So you can still have random builds but gives some sort of a choice to buyers so they know what they are getting themselves into when they click the dreaded accept delivery button on the app. Nobody, if given the choice will want to spend months waiting for a car only to be let down for not getting x, y or z features. Worse yet, having to find out what features you are missing by comparing notes with likeminded internet randoms (Hello friends), lol.
Agreed. All fair points. No doubt there are features added and some removed. Certainly many will conclude there is a net improvement in the vehicle (as evidenced by the orders). The point isn’t whether there is a net positive or negative. The point is when someone purchases a product (after weighing the pros/cons of the advertised feature set) , the customer should have a reasonable belief they’ll be receiving what they purchased.

Honestly a lot of this is related to the delay between order and delivery. Once the supply catches up to demand, you’ll know that you are buying.

But in the interim, I think it will be interesting how this shakes out for customers stuck in the middle.

The downgrades are not over when you accept delivery. You will get another game (e.g. Sonic the Hedgehog), have a feature removed (e.g. radar) and something that needs fixing not fixed (e.g. auto wipers). And so on…

Ah, yah, also the potential downside of having the car updated. The good is that is being updated, the bad is that is being updated, lol. The upside is that a car is not permanent, just hoping that the other manu gets their act together and catch up so everyone can be held to a higher standard.

In my opinion, removing hardware is entirely different than software updates/features. Software is “incremental”, adding small capabilities here and there. But when you remove hardware (radar, uss, etc) you generally close the door permanently to entire capabilities (software is always limited by the hardware it works with).

And I don’t foresee a major retroactive hardware update being offered (outside of a recall or legal action).

Despite the SA repeatedly letting me know about the incentives (I don’t qualify for any tax rebate), a few thousand bucks cheaper on a car missing some fundamental hardware features in this class just isn’t worth it for me. Leaving my order on hold. Once it’s released, if there still isn’t clarity/rectification, will just eat the $250.

In my opinion, removing hardware is entirely different than software updates/features. Software is “incremental”, adding small capabilities here and there. But when you remove hardware (radar, uss, etc) you generally close the door permanently to entire capabilities (software is always limited by the hardware it works with).

And I don’t foresee a major retroactive hardware update being offered (outside of a recall or legal action).

Despite the SA repeatedly letting me know about the incentives (I don’t qualify for any tax rebate), a few thousand bucks cheaper on a car missing some fundamental hardware features in this class just isn’t worth it for me. Leaving my order on hold. Once it’s released, if there still isn’t clarity/rectification, will just eat the $250.
Yeah I completely agree and miss my mechanical cruise control with a chain. Hardware is So the only way to solve problems. Want my phone with plastic keys back while we’re complaining! Lol

Yeah I completely agree and miss my mechanical cruise control with a chain. Hardware is So the only way to solve problems. Want my phone with plastic keys back while we’re complaining! Lol
Yup. Also won’t miss $70k for a car which can fart and do light shows. But can’t tell if it’s about to hit a wall.

(Hah. Figured the “reply” ahead of time. Prob easier to blanket support this move when the vehicle you personally own was purchased cheaper and had radar/USS hardware built in)

(And trust me, I wish the situation was different and I think it will improve next year)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.