Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just received my P100DL im sort of dissapointed and embarrassing and I'm having AP2 issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys At first I was really thrilled I bought a used MX p100dl with 8k miles 12/16 manufactured date... paid 115 I think I did well.. it's a black/white 5 seater wrapped in black chrome just ordered a vanity plate "i8a4ari" .. it came with ventilated seats and I heard they don't even make ventilated seats anymore... can def understand why.. was driving today was like 90 outside AC was pumping hard with the vented seat on and my back was still sweating.. that's not the worst I was testing the auto steer for the 3rd day on some state roads with clear and visible lines and the car randomly went into opposite traffic and made an extremely hard left.. was actually scary that another car could've been there.. after that I looked up my software version it's 8.1(2017.28 c528869).
It's started to bug me that something had to be wrong that everyone is talking about how great the features are being that I have both options with enhanced autopilot. So when I turn autosteer on the car literally starts slowing down and comes to a complete stop.. really annoying, other times the car would hard brake and or just start flying out of nowhere, it's very uncomtorble I wish it was as "smooth" as everyone says.

So then when I started to compare and contrast stuff online I realized that when my auto steer is on I only see that the car icon and in front which shows one car in front although I have seen on YouTube 3 lanes on the dash with a icon car avatar on a different lane.. am I missing something ?
How do I configure all the options and or update or do something to fix these issues.. I don't feel safe at all and I was sold on both these options and they seem useless and really over exaggerated. More than anything when I had a girl in the car and she asked if the car self drives and I turned it on and it started to brake and accelerate back and forth like a horrible driver that you can vomit instantly from it's super embarrassing.
Any thoughts?

The car takes some getting used to. Realize that most people here studied the ins and outs of the car for months or years and knew exactly what to expect from it when they finally got theirs. It is a little tough for us to help with someone who is somewhat inexperienced.

Autosteer has limitations and they will hopefully improve with time on your car. Learn what the current status of the system is bu reading this forum. I can't help much, since I have the older hardware with different capabilities and issues. But even with that, I remember my first few attempts to impress people with Autosteer, only to find that I picked the exact time where it would try to kill all passengers -- cresting a hill on a 2-lane road with oncoming traffic.

Learn the capabilities of the system, compare to other owner's experiences, and if the car seems to be having issues outside those expected from other's experiences, Tesla can make some adjustments at times to improve AP performance.

It's pretty impressive on limited access highways. You really, really have to be vigilant everywhere else until you are comfortable that it performs well there. It is a work in progress. It is beta. It will improve over time. That's just the way it is.

Reactions: guyG
I just learned that AP2 does not see any road signs like AP1. it gets its speed limits from the local 3rd party maps and if it does not have the info in the local maps it will default to 30mph. That will explain why the car will slam on the breaks.
I have seeing the speed go from 65 to 30 with no sign in sight.
I am appalled to learn that Tesla decided to trust a 3rd party in updating all roads in real time instead of reality. Be ready to be rear-ended or get a ticket when someone behind some desk takes too long to update the maps.
I was also told that AP2 autosteer is nowhere near performance of AP1 and further yet from V7.0, so beware. It will drive you off the road and on top/under a car/truck you are passing.
Some call it beta, I call it pre-alpha and down right dangerous. It feels like it is going backwards and not forward.
I do hope AP2 is not a big hype.

[QUOTE=" More than anything when I had a girl in the car and she asked if the car self drives and I turned it on and it started to brake and accelerate back and forth like a horrible driver that you can vomit instantly from it's super embarrassing.
Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Ah, you should only show the girl the car driving itself the next morning.... AFTER you sealed the deal.

If you need help sealing the deal, ask her, "do you like pancakes or waffles?" when she asks "why?", you tell her you'd like to know which one to cook for her in the morning...

Whatever you do, do NOT tell her that she is likely to vomit them up when you engage autopilot... just wait till it happens... then show her the bug report feature... that will likely impress her quite a bit, not to mention the new vegan interior is excellent with repelling vomit.

I have a two month old X100D. Had a model s85 previously with no ap. It does take done getting used to and a lot of trust. I use it mainly on interstate type larger freeways and I find it does s very very well job.

I have a two month old X100D. Had a model s85 previously with no ap. It does take done getting used to and a lot of trust. I use it mainly on interstate type larger freeways and I find it does a very very good job.

On side streets is can be scary, definitely pay attention.

I get only the avatar of the car in front of me.

I've noticed the limited super limit thing before... A couple of smaller roads that were upgraded in width and speed the car thinks are the original speed limit. Finding that out is dangerous. I wish they would put the number if the ap's speed limit in the blue steering wheel icon to know if this is going to happen.

Reactions: Vitold
[QUOTE=" More than anything when I had a girl in the car and she asked if the car self drives and I turned it on and it started to brake and accelerate back and forth like a horrible driver that you can vomit instantly from it's super embarrassing.
Any thoughts?

Ah, you should only show the girl the car driving itself the next morning.... AFTER you sealed the deal.

If you need help sealing the deal, ask her, "do you like pancakes or waffles?" when she asks "why?", you tell her you'd like to know which one to cook for her in the morning...

Whatever you do, do NOT tell her that she is likely to vomit them up when you engage autopilot... just wait till it happens... then show her the bug report feature... that will likely impress her quite a bit, not to mention the new vegan interior is excellent with repelling vomit.[/QUOTE]

I guess I lost everyone with the waffle pick up line reference. Oh well