Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just received Tesla Solar Panel proposal ( NJ )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I just got my system design and proposal. We're in NJ and I'd like any feedback, ideas, suggestions as we're new to the whole solar thing.

Size: 17.33 kW ( 15,690 kWh estimated production in first year, 90% energy offset ). I have a model S which uses about 25 kWh / day to charge for my commute. Our total average daily consumption as of last month was 40kWh and I expect that to go up to about almost 50 kWh during the summer with A/C and pool. Our cost per kWh is about $0.16....yeah....ouch....
Powerwalls: 0 - even though we had asked them to include them, need to find out why they didn't include them

1. Solar Power System - $49,376
2. Pre-Construction Costs - $13,500 - They say I need to replace current roof, which is about 15 years old and showing some signs of wear and is probably the second layer of shingles on a 34 year old home so would be a tear off job.
3. Upfront Incentives/Rebates: -$9,529 - this is due to NJ SREC credit. This I really don't understand very well. At a basic level I believe for every 1000 kWh produced, an SREC is earned which can be sold on a market. Right now, it looks like SRECs are being sold for about $220, so that should be about $3,300 for the first year alone. The contract seems to indicate that Tesla will give me the $9,529 credit but that's all I'm entitled to. Has anyone else dealt with this? Is there any reason I can't sell these credits separately? Seems like a sweet deal for Tesla.
4. Federal Tax Credit: $14,813

So, if I look at cost / kW as being $49, 376 - tax credit of $14, 813 divided by a rate of 17.33kW that seems to be about $1.99/kW. Am I thinking about that correctly? Seems like a good price. Main negative would be if they won't allow me to independently claim the SRECs. Can anyone tell me if I produce 15 mWh / year does that mean I get 15 new SRECs each year? so in other words if that's worth $3300 per year I can get that in perpetuity ( I do believe that SREC market will decline about $10/SREC/year, but still, even with that, over 10 years, thats $26,250 or $37,500 over 20 years ) which would go along way to covering any loan cost. The re-roof might be a little premature but I'm not too worried about it. Might be able to save a few dollars if we got quotes from other contractors but then again, this is NJ.

One last Q. We had a guy out from Sunrun to give us a quote. he mentioned that it is illegal to store electricity residentially in NJ and so Powerwalls are useless. I can't find anything about that and Tesla said no but has anyone come across anything like this or was that just Sales BS? Wondering more since Tesla didn't include Powerwalls in quote. Also wondering if it's worth getting Powerwalls vs relying on net metering for cost savings at night time reliance on utility company. Other reason was to have a way to deal with power outages but could also do backup generator and save a few K.

Again, any input is welcome.

Sorry for reviving a rather dormant thread, but I am just curious what happened with your install ? I am also in NJ and got a quote and like in your case, Tesla is offering me a one time $7K credit for SRECS on 15Kw System. It makes no sense, right?
I am still waiting for an answer from them if they can let me have my SRECS and keep the $7K credit.

Also, did they match the price ? I have a Model X and need about 30Kw Daily for my commute as well.

Thanks for your anticipated response ..

Sorry for reviving a rather dormant thread, but I am just curious what happened with your install ? I am also in NJ and got a quote and like in your case, Tesla is offering me a one time $7K credit for SRECS on 15Kw System. It makes no sense, right?
I am still waiting for an answer from them if they can let me have my SRECS and keep the $7K credit.

Also, did they match the price ? I have a Model X and need about 30Kw Daily for my commute as well.

Thanks for your anticipated response ..
you can decline Tesla's SREC "buyout", just ask you adviser to remove it from the contact. Your system would probably generate enough for 15 SREC/year. At modestly priced $200 a credit x 15 credits x 10 years = $30,000. So yeah.... DEFINITELY decline Tesla's offer :)

I held off for now. Seems like the technology is evolving, between the solar shingles available now and also more recent advances in efficiency. I'm hoping that by then end of next year, this will provide more cost effective and aesthetically pleasing options.

I'm just over the border from you in the Hudson Valley in NY. I had a 6.6kw system and 2 PW's installed last November. For me, it was all about having a backup power option. Strongly considered an automatic LP system but there are so many negatives associated with going that route. I could not be happier with the decision to go with the PV/PW's. Solar production and offset has been far better than expected. Systems performs exactly as advertised. Happy to answer any questions you have if you want to hit me off line.

Hi I'm in the process of getting quotes for solar and from the automated Tesla quote it looks that I will need a 8.48kW system seeing that you have a 6.6kW system I like to find out more as to how much it cost you. Are you financing, paid cash or you leasing? who installed it for you and how did the whole process start. Through Tesla I'm asked to pay non-refundable 100$ fee but I'm not sure what is that for and their website doesn't really say much. Do they send someone over to see the property like Sunrun or ? The total system prices is as much as what Sunrun and others quoted me 35k does that sound about right it seams to me a bit high as it's without powerwall. My 35k doesn't include the federal and state savings as I like to first agree with the out of packet expense up front seeing that I be financing it. Thanks. appropriate your help.

Hi I'm in the process of getting quotes for solar and from the automated Tesla quote it looks that I will need a 8.48kW system seeing that you have a 6.6kW system I like to find out more as to how much it cost you. Are you financing, paid cash or you leasing? who installed it for you and how did the whole process start. Through Tesla I'm asked to pay non-refundable 100$ fee but I'm not sure what is that for and their website doesn't really say much. Do they send someone over to see the property like Sunrun or ? The total system prices is as much as what Sunrun and others quoted me 35k does that sound about right it seams to me a bit high as it's without powerwall. My 35k doesn't include the federal and state savings as I like to first agree with the out of packet expense up front seeing that I be financing it. Thanks. appropriate your help.

I Adam. I am in further along in the process right now then you were when you posted. I completed my order for $100 and Tesla has provided a layout and proposal. I haven't finalized this yet, but wanted to get more feedback from others who have used Tesla for Solar in NJ. Did you end up making a decision with Tesla or someone else?

Tesla is offering the Hanwah panels with a 12 year warranty, a 6.8kw system that estimates to produce 8400 kw/yr. This is about 95% of my average consumption in the past year. They are not willing to sell a bigger system to account for future increased use. They are quoting only for about 95% coverage. I have a Tesla MS, but would charge at home more regularly if I have the panels. I anticipate this will increase my consumption beyond the 95% capacity. Tried to convince them to provide more panels, but they will not budge.
Also, they quote as if they will buy the SRECs (now TRECs) from me and provide me an upfront discount. I don't want to sell my SRECs upfront, but rather keep them and sell as I earn. I'd like your or other's experience on how you handled this.

I Adam. I am in further along in the process right now then you were when you posted. I completed my order for $100 and Tesla has provided a layout and proposal. I haven't finalized this yet, but wanted to get more feedback from others who have used Tesla for Solar in NJ. Did you end up making a decision with Tesla or someone else?

Tesla is offering the Hanwah panels with a 12 year warranty, a 6.8kw system that estimates to produce 8400 kw/yr. This is about 95% of my average consumption in the past year. They are not willing to sell a bigger system to account for future increased use. They are quoting only for about 95% coverage. I have a Tesla MS, but would charge at home more regularly if I have the panels. I anticipate this will increase my consumption beyond the 95% capacity. Tried to convince them to provide more panels, but they will not budge.
Also, they quote as if they will buy the SRECs (now TRECs) from me and provide me an upfront discount. I don't want to sell my SRECs upfront, but rather keep them and sell as I earn. I'd like your or other's experience on how you handled this.

I just completed a solar/pw install in NJ.. feel free to message me with any questions. The communication prior to installation was typical Tesla. I had to call them a bunch of times to get answers to my questions.

As far as the TRECs, I sold mine for the upfront discount since TRECs are far less lucrative than SRECs. They do give you the option to keep them yourself. Just call and tell them that's what you want to do and they will adjust your paperwork to reflect that.

I just placed an order for Tesla Solar Roof. It's a 10KW with a 12 KW output. Located at the shore. Price is around $47K. Do not take the TRECs credit. The credit Tesla gives you is less than what you can earn by selling it yourself. Current TREC price is $92/TREC and that is for the next 15 years or until that changes. My offset is greater than my current usage and as per Tesla, since this is a seasonal home, they said they can increase the KW. I'm not sure about this but I accepted. So now, I am just waiting for permitting process and potentially someone from Tesla to conduct a site visit.

I just completed a solar/pw install in NJ.. feel free to message me with any questions. The communication prior to installation was typical Tesla. I had to call them a bunch of times to get answers to my questions.

As far as the TRECs, I sold mine for the upfront discount since TRECs are far less lucrative than SRECs. They do give you the option to keep them yourself. Just call and tell them that's what you want to do and they will adjust your paperwork to reflect that.

May I know how long did it take to completely install your system (solar +pw)? I plan to place the order this weekend and I have concerns if the system (solar + pw) can be completed by 12/31 to receive the 26% tax credits. Any tips to speed up the process?

The website price (8.16 kW solar + pw) is the best comparing with other dealers. I am curious if your total payment is the same as the website says? I am worried about any extra or hidden fees.

My power company is JCPL and my last 12 month usage was around 5000 kW. Will JCPL allow me to have 8.16 kw (24 panels)? What is your experience about this?

Thank you.

May I know how long did it take to completely install your system (solar +pw)? I plan to place the order this weekend and I have concerns if the system (solar + pw) can be completed by 12/31 to receive the 26% tax credits. Any tips to speed up the process?

The website price (8.16 kW solar + pw) is the best comparing with other dealers. I am curious if your total payment is the same as the website says? I am worried about any extra or hidden fees.

My power company is JCPL and my last 12 month usage was around 5000 kW. Will JCPL allow me to have 8.16 kw (24 panels)? What is your experience about this?

Thank you.

My order to install was around 2.5 months but it could have been shorter.. I had a conflict at the house that required me to push it out. I know someone locally who scheduled an install a couple weeks ago and they were only 1 week out until installation. If that trend holds and you can get your permits and utility approval you should have no issue getting installed this year. My tip to moving the process along would be to call and check the status every week or two. Some things just inherently take a while like the permitting and utility approval. Sometimes Tesla just drags their feet though. I had called about something unrelated and they told me I was ready to schedule my install.. no one ever reached out to me.

There's no extra fees as long as your electrical system does not require major updates. Once you order you will upload pictures of everything and they will assess if you need any work not covered by the initial estimate. I did not, so I paid the price on the website.

I'm on PSEG but I know most utilities don't like you to have a solar system that's way more than you need. Tesla should be able to tell you what the max size system you can get after you place your order. They will ask you to upload a utility bill so they can estimate your usage. If you're paying cash or financing you should be able to get a size somewhere between a small and medium system. That's what I was told but there's conflicting reports on this. If you're renting there's no flexibility.

I am getting ready for a tesla solar panel installation in New jersey next month. I read an article on CNBC on 3/22/21 regarding solar panel fires and law suit between tesla and former employee who was a whistle blower and mentioned that the tesla is not being upfront with its customers regarding fires from roof racking components and amphenol H4 connectors.

Does anyone know of any fires on NEW JERSEY installed tesla solar panels in the last 2 years?

Hi, so how big is your system how much did it cost you after the 26% federal credit and most important how you like it now are you happy with its production ? I went with SunPower no battery 8.8k system. I'm looking to do do solar on my rental property and I'm not too sure if I should do SunPower or Tesla. What I don't like with SunPower is that when I did the system I didn't own Model X but now I do and to have it all 100% covered I need 10 more panels on top of the 24 that I have the $ for those 10 doesn't make sense since all wiring is done so on.

Don't get too stuck on the SRECs if they won't let you decline their offer. They may be priced at around $200 now, but they are designed (in most states) to lose value every year as states get closer to their renewable energy goal and as more solar is installed. You can usually find out about how quickly they will depreciate. $9K for them might not be bad, you are basically taking less money up front to not be the one holding the risk of them devaluing over the next several years.

Don't get too stuck on the SRECs if they won't let you decline their offer. They may be priced at around $200 now, but they are designed (in most states) to lose value every year as states get closer to their renewable energy goal and as more solar is installed. You can usually find out about how quickly they will depreciate. $9K for them might not be bad, you are basically taking less money up front to not be the one holding the risk of them devaluing over the next several years.
This thread is over 2 years old, so a lot has changed since then. But it is worth noting that as I understand it, in NJ the current program is the TREC program, and those have a fixed value (~$90/MWh) over a 15-year contract period, so the value is known (the only variable then is how much you actually produce during that time.)

But the bigger issue to me is control of the system. The Tesla contracts which assign Tesla rights to the RECs have language which include obligations of the owner (and presumably any future buyer of the home) to maintain it for the life of the system. What that might mean in practice is a bit unclear, but it is not something I would want to take on as an owner, just in case it became an issue at sale of the home or if I wanted to modify/remove/replace the system in the future.

Reactions: lensovet