Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just received Tesla Solar Panel proposal ( NJ )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jwlsh

Sep 28, 2018
NJ
Hi,

I just got my system design and proposal. We're in NJ and I'd like any feedback, ideas, suggestions as we're new to the whole solar thing.

Size: 17.33 kW ( 15,690 kWh estimated production in first year, 90% energy offset ). I have a model S which uses about 25 kWh / day to charge for my commute. Our total average daily consumption as of last month was 40kWh and I expect that to go up to about almost 50 kWh during the summer with A/C and pool. Our cost per kWh is about $0.16....yeah....ouch....
Powerwalls: 0 - even though we had asked them to include them, need to find out why they didn't include them

1. Solar Power System - $49,376
2. Pre-Construction Costs - $13,500 - They say I need to replace current roof, which is about 15 years old and showing some signs of wear and is probably the second layer of shingles on a 34 year old home so would be a tear off job.
3. Upfront Incentives/Rebates: -$9,529 - this is due to NJ SREC credit. This I really don't understand very well. At a basic level I believe for every 1000 kWh produced, an SREC is earned which can be sold on a market. Right now, it looks like SRECs are being sold for about $220, so that should be about $3,300 for the first year alone. The contract seems to indicate that Tesla will give me the $9,529 credit but that's all I'm entitled to. Has anyone else dealt with this? Is there any reason I can't sell these credits separately? Seems like a sweet deal for Tesla.
4. Federal Tax Credit: $14,813

So, if I look at cost / kW as being $49, 376 - tax credit of $14, 813 divided by a rate of 17.33kW that seems to be about $1.99/kW. Am I thinking about that correctly? Seems like a good price. Main negative would be if they won't allow me to independently claim the SRECs. Can anyone tell me if I produce 15 mWh / year does that mean I get 15 new SRECs each year? so in other words if that's worth $3300 per year I can get that in perpetuity ( I do believe that SREC market will decline about $10/SREC/year, but still, even with that, over 10 years, thats $26,250 or $37,500 over 20 years ) which would go along way to covering any loan cost. The re-roof might be a little premature but I'm not too worried about it. Might be able to save a few dollars if we got quotes from other contractors but then again, this is NJ.

One last Q. We had a guy out from Sunrun to give us a quote. he mentioned that it is illegal to store electricity residentially in NJ and so Powerwalls are useless. I can't find anything about that and Tesla said no but has anyone come across anything like this or was that just Sales BS? Wondering more since Tesla didn't include Powerwalls in quote. Also wondering if it's worth getting Powerwalls vs relying on net metering for cost savings at night time reliance on utility company. Other reason was to have a way to deal with power outages but could also do backup generator and save a few K.

Again, any input is welcome.

Hi,

I just got my system design and proposal. We're in NJ and I'd like any feedback, ideas, suggestions as we're new to the whole solar thing.

[munch]

One last Q. We had a guy out from Sunrun to give us a quote. he mentioned that it is illegal to store electricity residentially in NJ and so Powerwalls are useless. I can't find anything about that and Tesla said no but has anyone come across anything like this or was that just Sales BS? Wondering more since Tesla didn't include Powerwalls in quote. Also wondering if it's worth getting Powerwalls vs relying on net metering for cost savings at night time reliance on utility company. Other reason was to have a way to deal with power outages but could also do backup generator and save a few K.

Again, any input is welcome.
I don't have solar (neighbors have too many large trees), but there have been discussions of this on the Tesla Owners of NJ google group:
Google Groups

I'm pretty sure I even read a post from a member with solar from Sunrun + a powerwall. (look for 'Solar')

That sounds like a great price! Powerwalls are 100% fine in NJ. I'm in NJ and just had 3 installed last week (there is a huge backlog though). Also, the NJ SREC program is closing to new installs very soon so don't delay. Also, don't let Tesla take your SRECs. Assuming the SRECs avg $150 this is super conservative for NJ) over the 10 years you are allowed to claim them... You would earn $22,000 from SRECs alone! Take a look at SRECTrade.com they handle all the details of your SRECs for a small fee ($14 per SREC)

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
That sounds like a great price! Powerwalls are 100% fine in NJ. I'm in NJ and just had 3 installed last week (there is a huge backlog though). Also, the NJ SREC program is closing to new installs very soon so don't delay. Also, don't let Tesla take your SRECs. Assuming the SRECs avg $150 this is super conservative for NJ) over the 10 years you are allowed to claim them... You would earn $22,000 from SRECs alone! Take a look at SRECTrade.com they handle all the details of your SRECs for a small fee ($14 per SREC)

Good to hear from a fellow NJ person! Mind if I pick your brain a bit more?

How long have you had your system? Is it performing as you expected/as it was sized? Do you have PSEG or JCPL? Do you take advantage of net metering? If so, how well does that cover your nighttime needs?

I'm debating about going with a backup generator vs powerwalls for coverage during outages, seems like between cost/wait for powerwalls vs generator plus benefits of net metering it may push me towards generator. What do you think?

Good to hear from a fellow NJ person! Mind if I pick your brain a bit more?

How long have you had your system? Is it performing as you expected/as it was sized? Do you have PSEG or JCPL? Do you take advantage of net metering? If so, how well does that cover your nighttime needs?

I'm debating about going with a backup generator vs powerwalls for coverage during outages, seems like between cost/wait for powerwalls vs generator plus benefits of net metering it may push me towards generator. What do you think?

I'm just over the border from you in the Hudson Valley in NY. I had a 6.6kw system and 2 PW's installed last November. For me, it was all about having a backup power option. Strongly considered an automatic LP system but there are so many negatives associated with going that route. I could not be happier with the decision to go with the PV/PW's. Solar production and offset has been far better than expected. Systems performs exactly as advertised. Happy to answer any questions you have if you want to hit me off line.

Reactions: preilly44
I'm just over the border from you in the Hudson Valley in NY. I had a 6.6kw system and 2 PW's installed last November. For me, it was all about having a backup power option. Strongly considered an automatic LP system but there are so many negatives associated with going that route. I could not be happier with the decision to go with the PV/PW's. Solar production and offset has been far better than expected. Systems performs exactly as advertised. Happy to answer any questions you have if you want to hit me off line.

Im in Dutchess County and wanting to go SOLAR for the past year now....who is your electric supplier Central Hudson??if so i have a question hopefully you can answer....

I noticed you have powerwalls so you might not have to worry about this. However Im trying to understand the net metering in the area. I was wondering how the net metering worked for Central Hudson but seeing that your in Rockland/Orange I dont think they are your provider. I want to know if i put in 1kw do i get back 1kw with net metering. Or do I get back a smaller percentage.

i'm almost certain that it is 1 for 1 for me with O&R. FYI, i am 3 months in a row now without an electric bill and have about $100 rolling credit from excess production. could not possibly be more pleased as this was icing on the cake for me. our original use case and justification was almost entirely a backup power source.

One issue I’ve discovered is that our utility caps net metering at 10kWh. I usually charge my model S at night which uses about 25kW out of a total daily amount of 40 to 50 kW, leaving me with a likely shortfall of 15 to 20 kW.

This will impact savings for sure. Any ideas here? Probably powerwall but that drives cost up

$2.85/W seems to be the new Tesla online price point for your area. A decent price, especially for an operation you know will be around in 10 years if service is needed.

The Sunrun sales comment about Powerwalls being illegal in NJ is nonsense. Perhaps they were confused and were talking about charging a Powewall from or feeding to the grid?

No idea about the NJ net metering cap, but I'm gonna look into it now. Interesting.

I may have been wrong about net metering cap. Link to JCP&L info:

Retail Interconnection

I though they limited residential to < 10kW inverters but there's a second level that's for < 2,000 kW that looks like I should be able to join and get full value, though there is a fee.

Does anyone else find this clear as mud? How do you figure all this out?

This is the link to the design plan, you can see the layout of panels, and components to be used.

https://solarbidapi.solarcity.com/api/pdf/design/fc9dc33d-e3a9-4cdc-a86c-5db9b73c110b

Are parts of your roof flat? That would be unusual for NJ. Typically, NJ houses have fairly steep roof slopes.

If your roof has a steep slope, then putting solar panels on the NW and NE locations, like what Tesla proposed, is a waste of money. Those solar panels will never produce enough electricity to pay for their installation.

Instead, I think you should limit your panels to SE and SW parts of your roof. You may find that if you cut your system size in half, you may still produce about 85% of the energy.

I'm inclined to agree that this is likely "oversized" with that northwest northwest facing section being fairly useless. All depends on the slope of course.

Since pricing is done "per Watt", you should definitely think about questioning at least the panels in the top left of your design area. If that's a normal sloped roof and facing dead NW, then you shouldn't bother IMO.

Someday soon installers will start charging based on true hardware cost and work effort, but for now they charge by the Watt and can sometimes propose more panels than they might if it were say....their own home. Ask how much production is likely to come from that NW portion.

Love this proposal layout. Tesla is taking the lead once again and will no doubt ramp residential solar back up to crazy annual growth. Good luck!

No flat sections on roof, roof has a mid level of slope. It's a colonial with an attached garage. MP6 section between the garage on right and main house gets partial shade right where MP6 panels are later in day as house roof is taller than MP6 connecting roof. I agree, not sure why they put panels on NW, NE locations vs SW, SE. MP4 & MP5 seem like better locations MP6. Ideally I would have no panels on front side of roof.

My assumption is the sales people still receive commission based on the number of panels installed. This is better and far cheaper than having someone do the same thing in your living room, but it appears to still be causing some of the same problems.

I would question their logic on the NW portion and ask them for annual production estimates for that quadrant as if it were the entire array. They should be able to nail that down and I bet it'll be peanuts. Then ask them why you're the one being forced to do the designing work :)