Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just received this warranty email

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mail

Our records show that you own, or previously owned, a Model S/X that was built before March 2018. It may be eligible for Tesla’s Warranty Adjustment Program covering malfunction of a memory chip (embedded MultiMediaCard). This malfunction may result in a blank or intermittently blank touchscreen but will not impact the ability to drive your car.
Tesla is providing eligible owners who experience a malfunction no-cost repairs to this part at any Tesla Service Center for 8 years/100k miles from initial delivery date. If you do not experience a malfunction, there’s no need to take action.
If you have already paid for repairs that meet the conditions of the program, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will send reimbursement details and eligibility by February 2021.
To learn more about the program and its terms and conditions, please click the link below.
LEARN MORE
Top Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if this issue affects my car?
If the 8GB embedded MultiMediaCard (eMMC) malfunctions due to accumulated wear, this may result in a blank or intermittently blank center display and/or a vehicle alert signaling memory storage device degradation.
My car is a Model S/X built before March 2018, but I haven’t had any issues with the touchscreen. What do I do next?
Nothing. Unless you are actively experiencing this issue, you don’t need to take any immediate action and you may continue to drive your vehicle.
Is Tesla offering to repair or replace this component?
Yes. If Tesla determines that the 8GB eMMC requires replacement due to malfunctioning caused by accumulated wear, Tesla will replace this component, free of charge, with an enhanced, 64GB eMMC to restore original functionality of the touchscreen.
I already paid to repair or replace my media control unit (MCU) due to the condition described in the program. Can I be reimbursed?
Yes, if you previously paid for a repair for the specific part and condition covered by the program within the Warranty Program Period, you may be eligible for reimbursement.

Glad to see Tesla backing up their product. I'm not experiencing any issues at the moment, but happy to know there's warranty if I do.

• Informative
Reactions: JBT66 and dhrivnak
mail

Our records show that you own, or previously owned, a Model S/X that was built before March 2018. It may be eligible for Tesla’s Warranty Adjustment Program covering malfunction of a memory chip (embedded MultiMediaCard). This malfunction may result in a blank or intermittently blank touchscreen but will not impact the ability to drive your car.
Tesla is providing eligible owners who experience a malfunction no-cost repairs to this part at any Tesla Service Center for 8 years/100k miles from initial delivery date. If you do not experience a malfunction, there’s no need to take action.
If you have already paid for repairs that meet the conditions of the program, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will send reimbursement details and eligibility by February 2021.
To learn more about the program and its terms and conditions, please click the link below.
LEARN MORE
If the 8GB embedded MultiMediaCard (eMMC) malfunctions due to accumulated wear, this may result in a blank or intermittently blank center display and/or a vehicle alert signaling memory storage device degradation.
My car is a Model S/X built before March 2018, but I haven’t had any issues with the touchscreen. What do I do next?
Nothing. Unless you are actively experiencing this issue, you don’t need to take any immediate action and you may continue to drive your vehicle.
Yes. If Tesla determines that the 8GB eMMC requires replacement due to malfunctioning caused by accumulated wear, Tesla will replace this component, free of charge, with an enhanced, 64GB eMMC to restore original functionality of the touchscreen.
I already paid to repair or replace my media control unit (MCU) due to the condition described in the program. Can I be reimbursed?
Yes, if you previously paid for a repair for the specific part and condition covered by the program within the Warranty Program Period, you may be eligible for reimbursement.

Glad to see Tesla backing up their product. I'm not experiencing any issues at the moment, but happy to know there's warranty if I do.
I would hardly call it “backing up their product”.

They are doing the bare, bare minimum because the NHTSA is likely going to force their hand eventually.

Reactions: VikH
I received the same email. I went to the Tesla app to schedule service and 3 days before got the following text.

Text 1 of 2:
Hi Carl,

Our team is currently reviewing your upcoming service visit.

Please be advised receipt of the warranty adjustment program email does not automatically qualify your vehicle for this program, further review is needed to determine if your vehicles hardware is affected under the specified terms.

This e-mail was just a notice of a new warranty adjustment available to you.

We have reviewed your vehicles logs and data and have confirmed that there has been no eMMC malfunction due to accumulated wear which would require service under this program.

Your vehicle is ineligible for this warranty adjustment program at this time.

Text 2 of 2
We have further reviewed vehicle data and confirmed the issues experienced for an intermittent blank screen is due to a known software issue. Service Engineering has developed a fix and will be resolved in update version 2020.48. In the meantime, perform a scroll wheel reset to temporarily mitigate this issue.

Once this update is released and installed, please continue to monitor this issue and create a new appointment if the issue persist with a date and time it occurred for us to review vehicle data again.

As there are no further repairs required in service, we'll proceed to close this service appointment.

• Informative
Reactions: fr100
expecting to pay a fair $400 for the service, but they did it "good will / no charge" :-D
I wonder how many of these "good will / no charge" events are SC and not Tesla. I am sure the service managers have a lot of leeway. For this particular issue, it makes no sense to have a mileage limit on it. It was designed to work with the original software. Tesla is pushing updates out which work the computer and this part harder than they expected.

I hope there is a little flexibility. I'm at 93K on my 2014. I've had some inconsistencies at the Burbank SC. They changed management about a year ago and it's been very difficult to get anything done that I feel is going above and beyond for the customer. Lately I've been taking videos of everytime something happens with the screen since I'm always getting told to provide them with a date and time of occurrence. At this point I'm going to try another SC.

I received the same email. I went to the Tesla app to schedule service and 3 days before got the following text.

Text 1 of 2:
Hi Carl,

Our team is currently reviewing your upcoming service visit.

Please be advised receipt of the warranty adjustment program email does not automatically qualify your vehicle for this program, further review is needed to determine if your vehicles hardware is affected under the specified terms.

This e-mail was just a notice of a new warranty adjustment available to you.

We have reviewed your vehicles logs and data and have confirmed that there has been no eMMC malfunction due to accumulated wear which would require service under this program.

Your vehicle is ineligible for this warranty adjustment program at this time.

Text 2 of 2
We have further reviewed vehicle data and confirmed the issues experienced for an intermittent blank screen is due to a known software issue. Service Engineering has developed a fix and will be resolved in update version 2020.48. In the meantime, perform a scroll wheel reset to temporarily mitigate this issue.

Once this update is released and installed, please continue to monitor this issue and create a new appointment if the issue persist with a date and time it occurred for us to review vehicle data again.

As there are no further repairs required in service, we'll proceed to close this service appointment.

Have you updated to 2020.48 and noticed any improvement? I took my MX to a service center and was told that a "reflash" of the module is recommended - replacement of the eMMC would only be done if the car was completely inoperable! I just got 2020.48 today so I'm hoping that will fix the dark screen problem.

mail

LEARN MORE

Do you know how frequently it has to go out to be considered for replacement?

Have you updated to 2020.48 and noticed any improvement? I took my MX to a service center and was told that a "reflash" of the module is recommended - replacement of the eMMC would only be done if the car was completely inoperable! I just got 2020.48 today so I'm hoping that will fix the dark screen problem.

I have been on this update for a while now and can say that the dark screen issue/ restart is not as frequent. however, my spotify barely works when switching tracks in a favorite list.I have tried switching to FM during that period when Spotify goes blank but FM goes off intermittently too. It sad to have to adapt to this until they perform the permanent fix.

It would make sense for folks with older vehicles to switch to MCU2 but I barely missed it by 2 months and I am not willing to buy it.

I hear ya and completely understand. Seems like the earlier gens get the short end of the stick. I did receive an email a few days ago from Tesla stating they are doing a recall. It's a long email but I copied it below.

Tesla has decided to voluntarily recall certain Model S and Model X vehicles built before March 2018 that are equipped with an 8GB embedded MultiMediaCard (eMMC) in the media control unit because the eMMC may malfunction due to accumulated wear. Our records show that you own a Model S or Model X affected by this recall.
If a malfunction occurs, you may experience a persistent blank center display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen, loss of certain functionalities, and/or a vehicle alert to contact Service. There is no risk to vehicle drivability, including no effect on acceleration, braking or steering, and we are not aware of any accidents or injuries resulting from this condition.
If your vehicle is operating software release 2020.48.12 or newer and the eMMC malfunctions, then the rearview backup camera will remain available, the exterior turn signal lighting will remain functional, and the windshield defogging and defrosting controls will automatically default to a preset cabin temperature to ensure windshield visibility. If your vehicle is operating software older than 2020.48.12 and the eMMC malfunctions, then you may lose these functionalities. Please ensure that your vehicle is operating software release 2020.48.12 or a newer release. To find your current software release, complete an update or review a list of possible malfunctions, please visit our Support page. If the touchscreen is unavailable, then please perform a shoulder check and use your mirrors to back up safely.
Additionally, Tesla will upgrade, free of charge, the eMMC on your vehicle with an enhanced 64GB eMMC.There is no need at this time to contact us as we will notify you when the parts become available. We kindly ask that you do not schedule a service appointment unless you receive a vehicle alert signaling memory storage device degradation or are actively experiencing a persistent blank center display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen. If you already paid for repairs that addressed the condition covered by this recall, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will share details about reimbursement and eligibility by the end of March 2021.
Thank you for being a Tesla customer, and we apologize for this inconvenience.

I got a notification in my Tesla app today stating that I had TSB recalls applicable to my 2016 Model X and to schedule an appointment. When I looked up my VIN on the website, it showed that the Steering bolt, roof applique, and eMMC are applicable, so I made a service appointment via the app. They might be notifying owners in waves to control load on service centers.

I got a notification in my Tesla app today stating that I had TSB recalls applicable to my 2016 Model X and to schedule an appointment. When I looked up my VIN on the website, it showed that the Steering bolt, roof applique, and eMMC are applicable, so I made a service appointment via the app. They might be notifying owners in waves to control load on service centers.

My guess would be that with the micro chip worldwide shortage affecting the auto industry right now, the 64Gb chips are not in great supply, so they would have to meter these recalls, starting with those who are experiencing the blank screen issue. Luckily, I am not. I have upgraded to 2020.48 which appeared to be a major update.

I had to pay about 2k to replace a dead screen a couple of yrs ago. They put in a refurbished unit.
The screen will now sometimes take 10 minutes to wake up after I have driven the car about 8 miles, parked to run into a store, and come back out - a 10 minute excursion between driving the car, parking, and trying to drive again.
I got this in the mail and am leery of the items filled in for me that I can not edit.
I'll have to look up when it was replaced and include that info. I started typing in the comment section.
(June 2015 purchase of S85D)
upload_2021-3-5_11-45-21.png

I had to pay about 2k to replace a dead screen a couple of yrs ago. They put in a refurbished unit.
The screen will now sometimes take 10 minutes to wake up after I have driven the car about 8 miles, parked to run into a store, and come back out - a 10 minute excursion between driving the car, parking, and trying to drive again.
I got this in the mail and am leery of the items filled in for me that I can not edit.
I'll have to look up when it was replaced and include that info. I started typing in the comment section.
(June 2015 purchase of S85D)
View attachment 642425
We paid to upgrade two cars to MCU since they were having issues. Unfortunately, since we didn't have Tesla diagnose things beforehand, we're not eligible for any reimbursement.

If we replaced proactively, we aren't eligible for reimbursement? Did anyone submit an exception and get approved?

I tried to submit and it said "Your request is ineligible for eMMC Recall Reimbursement" when I tried to submit.

If we replaced proactively, we aren't eligible for reimbursement? Did anyone submit an exception and get approved?

I tried to submit and it said "Your request is ineligible for eMMC Recall Reimbursement" when I tried to submit.

Yup, got the same thing. I also proactively replaced due to concern of MCU 1 causing an accident (it would turn off and even the turn signals would not work) and stated this in my original service request.