Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just received this warranty email

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to pay about 2k to replace a dead screen a couple of yrs ago. They put in a refurbished unit.
The screen will now sometimes take 10 minutes to wake up after I have driven the car about 8 miles, parked to run into a store, and come back out - a 10 minute excursion between driving the car, parking, and trying to drive again.
I got this in the mail and am leery of the items filled in for me that I can not edit.
I'll have to look up when it was replaced and include that info. I started typing in the comment section.
(June 2015 purchase of S85D)
View attachment 642425

I'm in the same situation and was verbally told I had a failing MCU but it was marked as an "upgrade" and thus not eligible for reimbursement. Sneaky...

I'm taking my 2016 Model X in tomorrow for TSB service on the glass fascia and steering column bolt. I thought I was also going to get the eMMC replacement but they notified me that parts are in low supply and since they didn't detect that I was losing screen functionality, repair would be delayed until such time in which the screen was consistently blank. Kind of inconvenient that I have to wait until it's non-functioning to get service, but understandable if there's a parts shortage.

I had to pay about 2k to replace a dead screen a couple of yrs ago. They put in a refurbished unit.
The screen will now sometimes take 10 minutes to wake up after I have driven the car about 8 miles, parked to run into a store, and come back out - a 10 minute excursion between driving the car, parking, and trying to drive again.
I got this in the mail and am leery of the items filled in for me that I can not edit.
I'll have to look up when it was replaced and include that info. I started typing in the comment section.
(June 2015 purchase of S85D)
View attachment 642425
I’m in the exact same situation. We’re you able to get a hold of someone?

I just checked with the service department in person. There was actually a person sitting at a desk ready to talk to me! Big improvement from a year ago.
He pulled up my service record and told me my repair was for the MCU unit (Oct 2019), and that my car was on the list to get the unit replaced. He said he would forward a copy of the work invoice to me.

Since I still haven't received the email, I'll go back in on Thursday to find out why the message didn't send.
Once I get that, I'll fill out the form requesting reimbursement. I'll add my service number/invoice number to the comment section before I hit the submit button.

I had that problem on my 2021 X (5k miles) this week, would drive and steer but both screens black. I was parking at home and checked back a few minutes later and they came on. I’m new at having a Tesla, do you report every malfunction to Tesla even when it self corrects?

I had that problem on my 2021 X (5k miles) this week, would drive and steer but both screens black. I was parking at home and checked back a few minutes later and they came on. I’m new at having a Tesla, do you report every malfunction to Tesla even when it self corrects?
Sadly no, at least that is my experience. If it keeps it up, then report it. Hopefully there is an update to the firmware that will make your problem go away.

Because my invoice didn't say eMMC or whatever, the software automatically rejects my claim for reimbursement.
My only option to get their attention was to check the box that says the repair was made outside of Tesla.
That allowed me to upload my invoice and tell them the cost of the invoice.
We shall see if that works.
Maybe I can get the service guys to modify my invoice and put the keywords into it.
Crossing my fingers.

Because my invoice didn't say eMMC or whatever, the software automatically rejects my claim for reimbursement.
My only option to get their attention was to check the box that says the repair was made outside of Tesla.
That allowed me to upload my invoice and tell them the cost of the invoice.
We shall see if that works.
Maybe I can get the service guys to modify my invoice and put the keywords into it.
Crossing my fingers.

I did this same thing...haven't heard back yet.

Probably telling us to take a hike. I wonder if I can get my service center to update my invoice to include the keyword. It is sort of annoying that they lock you out and declare that we do not qualify.
Personally, I expected to be rejected, but I had a collection of evidence to provide for review that could arguably have reasonably gotten me approved (specific line items on invoices from three different service visits). As such, I find it more annoying that they sent an e-mail saying I could submit evidence and then didn't allow me to submit anything based on automatic rejection.

Personally, I expected to be rejected, but I had a collection of evidence to provide for review that could arguably have reasonably gotten me approved (specific line items on invoices from three different service visits). As such, I find it more annoying that they sent an e-mail saying I could submit evidence and then didn't allow me to submit anything based on automatic rejection.
Exactly. Same irritation here.

I'm irritated that it has been sixty days and I have neither a check for reimbursement nor a message conveying rejection. I elected to have the daughter card even though I was denied initially back in January that I was eligible for extended warranty replacement. I had had it replaced under warranty (when they replaced the entire MCU with a refurb) a year and a half ago. it started exhibiting some of the same funky behavior and had the daughter card replaced. Then I got the notice about potential eligibility for reimbursement. I filled out the form and got confirmation note on March 7. It said within sixty days I would be reimbursed or rejected. That came and went last week.

I'm irritated that it has been sixty days and I have neither a check for reimbursement nor a message conveying rejection. I elected to have the daughter card even though I was denied initially back in January that I was eligible for extended warranty replacement. I had had it replaced under warranty (when they replaced the entire MCU with a refurb) a year and a half ago. it started exhibiting some of the same funky behavior and had the daughter card replaced. Then I got the notice about potential eligibility for reimbursement. I filled out the form and got confirmation note on March 7. It said within sixty days I would be reimbursed or rejected. That came and went last week.
Of course, I made a promise to the finance committee to use the reimbursement toward the MCU upgrade which I thoroughly enjoy. But said committee is now asking about reimbursement...

I have a 2015 S 70D w/AP1. When my MCU1 w/3G failed in July 2020, I used my Tesla App to book appointment stating all controls failed, no dash screen, no turn signal, no AC, no backup camera etc... Tesla replied saying that they diagnosed the problem OTA and determined that it was MCU1 failure and I will need to spend $1500 to replace with another MCU1 (refurbished) panel. They even mentioned I shouldn't be driving the car if I don't feel safe without all the controls. They further stated that appointment will be booked for me to bring the car into Service Center for repair as soon as they have an ETA on when the replacement part will be arriving.

Instead of agreeing to replace the defective MCU1 with another refurbished MCU1, I asked Tesla if my car can be upgraded to MCU2 w/4G LTE and the total cost. They came back with a quote of $2500 + tax. So I asked them to proceed with an upgrade to MCU2. Then all the news about the $500 eMMC repair, cheaper MCU1 and MCU2 panel replacement, MCU1 recall notice etc came out. I was so disappointed because I picked the wrong time to upgrade my MCU1 to MCU2 as well as I paid the higher price for the upgrade.

Then came an email from Tesla in March 2021 saying that I maybe qualified for a MCU repair reimbursement but then I also saw a lot of ineligible claims in this forum because of being an upgrade instead of a repair. Well, my story have a happy ending, I've just received a refund of $1480 on my MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade after submitting my claim a couple months ago. So best wishes to all of you whom have their MCU1 upgraded MCU2. *** Make sure you check your JUNK email folder because my Tesla Reimbursement email was actually stuck in my JUNK folder. If I didn't check my JUNK folder, I would have thought that my MCU2 upgrade was ineligible. And I wouldn't have been able to follow the instructions in the email to submit a refund claim. Good luck folks.

• Helpful
Reactions: Harvey Danger
I have a 2015 S 70D w/AP1. When my MCU1 w/3G failed in July 2020, I used my Tesla App to book appointment stating all controls failed, no dash screen, no turn signal, no AC, no backup camera etc... Tesla replied saying that they diagnosed the problem OTA and determined that it was MCU1 failure and I will need to spend $1500 to replace with another MCU1 (refurbished) panel. They even mentioned I shouldn't be driving the car if I don't feel safe without all the controls. They further stated that appointment will be booked for me to bring the car into Service Center for repair as soon as they have an ETA on when the replacement part will be arriving.

Instead of agreeing to replace the defective MCU1 with another refurbished MCU1, I asked Tesla if my car can be upgraded to MCU2 w/4G LTE and the total cost. They came back with a quote of $2500 + tax. So I asked them to proceed with an upgrade to MCU2. Then all the news about the $500 eMMC repair, cheaper MCU1 and MCU2 panel replacement, MCU1 recall notice etc came out. I was so disappointed because I picked the wrong time to upgrade my MCU1 to MCU2 as well as I paid the higher price for the upgrade.

Then came an email from Tesla in March 2021 saying that I maybe qualified for a MCU repair reimbursement but then I also saw a lot of ineligible claims in this forum because of being an upgrade instead of a repair. Well, my story have a happy ending, I've just received a refund of $1480 on my MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade after submitting my claim a couple months ago. So best wishes to all of you whom have their MCU1 upgraded MCU2. *** Make sure you check your JUNK email folder because my Tesla Reimbursement email was actually stuck in my JUNK folder. If I didn't check my JUNK folder, I would have thought that my MCU2 upgrade was ineligible. And I wouldn't have been able to follow the instructions in the email to submit a refund claim. Good luck folks.
When you went to the claim site, did it say you didn't qualify? Or was that part not showing as it is on mine?
Glad you got some money back.