Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

just reserved solar roof and 2 powerwalls, lets see how long this takes! :D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my household has been courting solar ever since we started thinking about EVs, solar city told us our sun facing roof was too small. then comes along solar roof and should allow for some more applicable solar geometries.

turns out my roof is in dire need of replacement so today i finally reserved the roof. (wife demanded to see it was a real product before agreeing to the reservation.)

not expecting it anytime soon, just need it within the next to years. my asphalt shingles and plywood base have seen better days...

Reactions: wnorris
Two years? This should be fun... :D We've not had any blow-by-blow on the roof product, so, we are going to be very interested. When it first came out, I had an immediate depo on it and then cancelled it because of cost and time. I then got my roof replaced (hail storm damage) and now am doing the 315W Black Tesla panels. So, your experience will be great to have documented as a comparison!

Not sure, I will post here when I find out.

For new construction also I will need to know what penetrations they will require for the roof and where they need to be.
If you have an attic space, I don't think the actual penetrations matter. What you should do during construction is provide conduits and pull strings in the walls that can be used for the DC string wiring to the inverters. Conduits can be extended as needed inside the attic space.

I had my house built with traditional panels in the plan. I told the GC to avoid any roof penetrations for other purposes (plumbing vents, furnace vents, kitchen hood vent) on the SE and SW facing roof sections. That was important because the plumbers would have put a plumbing vent in the middle of my larger array. I also had my solar installer pre-wire while the walls were open. I really like that my solar does not have any visible conduits on the outside of the house.

My guess is that they will have to place a temporary roof until they are able to get to it.

fema-blue-roof-tarps-after-hurricane.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: cr0ntab and VT_EE