Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just saying hello! New 60 on order. Late Jun 2014 delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@OP,

Great to have another MS60 owner. Couple of other points in favor of the 60.

1. Likely to be rarer than the 85, P85 or P85+, but the 40 is the most rare!

2. The lighter vehicle allows for more efficiency.

3. As Supercharging gets ubiquitous, you'll miss the extra miles even less.

4. As other have posted, you can already manually swap batteries for a cost (~$17K if I recall), making the car infinitely upgradeable.

5. If automated battery swap ever becomes available, then it will really make no difference if you decide to take a road trip.

I've already crisscrossed the U.S. over 9 days and ~8K miles and you can make of it whatever you want.

Around town car. Yes.

Road trip monster. Yup.

Tesla MS60 = 96.2% as much fun as the P85+ (my own wild ass guess).

2. The lighter vehicle allows for more efficiency.
As I understand it, MS60 has deadweights in the pack to keep the weight about the same as the 85 so they didn't need to double the crash tests.
Edit: As I am corrected below and have verified, this is not true. Don't repeat my mistake.

4. As other have posted, you can already manually swap batteries for a cost (~$17K if I recall), making the car infinitely upgradeable.
That's about right. Here's an article I found about upgrading from 60 to 85: Life With Tesla Model S: Battery Upgrade From 60 kWh To 85 kWh
I wonder if they include Supercharging and the Primacy tire upgrade with it if you don't already have them.

Last edited:
As I understand it, MS60 has deadweights in the pack to keep the weight about the same as the 85 so they didn't need to double the crash tests.

Wrong. The 60 is 223 lbs lighter. See page 118 in the manual:

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/model_s_owners_manual.pdf

3usavanu.jpg

That's about right. Here's an article I found about upgrading from 60 to 85: Life With Tesla Model S: Battery Upgrade From 60 kWh To 85 kWh
I wonder if they include Supercharging and the Primacy tire upgrade with it if you don't already have them.

I've never seen anything about deadweights. I can get sub 250Wh/m at ~62mph. Not sure why Tesla would design a car for weight efficiency and then add 300 lbs of dead weight. Not sure how weights would change whether the 60 is identical to the 85.

@GG above brings out the "facts". Nice!

Last edited:
I've never seen anything about deadweights.
I've seen speculation like that repeatedly, but never any proof. Admittedly, the weight delta seems small given that the battery is allegedly about 1000lbs.
I can get sub 250Wh/m at ~62mph.
These numbers continue to amaze me. On a round trip (so no net elevation change - that's cheating) I have never managed less than 280Wh/mile - and believe me I've tried. It must be the rotten rough roads here in Oregon...

I read about it elsewhere on TMC or Tesla forums and whoever said it seemed pretty sure. The reasoning was to allow one set of crash tests represent both. It may be something worth confirming, but the manual is certainly convincing that there are no deadweights.

Edit: After more research, it turns out the deadweight/dummy cell thing was just false information floating around that was originally a guess and repeated as fact. It was corrected in some threads, but not others (apparently where I read it).

Last edited:
i have read about a lot of these things on TMC - lower Wh/mi, lower weight, and *possibly* slower degradation of the battery - and it all just made me think the 60 was more practical for me. every now and then i tend to get OCD about hypermiling in the hybrid, although i am not a conservative driver for the most part. i still drive 80mpg on the highway and like to gun it every now and then, but when my tank average goes below 40mpg i cringe :rolleyes:. so i can certainly see myself doing the same thing in the MS...

- - - Updated - - -

i still have not received my VIN :crying:

and my premium center console wont' arrive until December :cursing:

I don't go a day without seeing at least a couple Teslas just on the way to work, certainly doesn't make the wait easier!

Getting the NEMA 14-50 plug installed this week, after tomorrow it'll be a 30 day countdown so I'll start the financing process, then lock down my insurance...stay busy stay busy don't think about it lol

I don't go a day without seeing at least a couple Teslas just on the way to work, certainly doesn't make the wait easier!

Getting the NEMA 14-50 plug installed this week, after tomorrow it'll be a 30 day countdown so I'll start the financing process, then lock down my insurance...stay busy stay busy don't think about it lol

you are lucky! i feel like it's easier once you get the VIN because then it's "official". right now i'm just a measly reservation holder :(

Regarding hauling the family and stuff to Disneyland, I think you'll find the cargo capacity of the Model S quite remarkable. If you have Supercharging (and that SJC comes online eventually) it will be a very easy trip. Actually it should be easy even without SpC because Disney now has Chargepoints in the Mickey garage (not free, but still cheaper than gas). I've taken our 60 as far south as Legoland (the kids love that hotel).

I agree. you will not want to drive the "Family Hauler" again after a few days with the S. Even if you think it's a fine car now, once you drive the Model S for a week or so, the old ICE will fell like you are driving a Yugo.

It can make it round trip from San Diego to Disneyland easily in a 60 after this week when the SJC supercharger comes online. And there is plenty of storage for multiple strollers, and all sorts of stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

*possibly* slower degradation of the battery
I find that extremely unlikely. There is a much higher chance the 60 battery will degrade faster, since you use more of the range.

I think it's the opposite for me. I very rarely see Teslas and get excited when I do, it's like an event on its own even though it typically lasts maybe 5 seconds. The wait seems to be harder with the thought that I won't get to see another Model S until mine arrives in a couple months.

I think it's the opposite for me. I very rarely see Teslas and get excited when I do, it's like an event on its own even though it typically lasts maybe 5 seconds. The wait seems to be harder with the thought that I won't get to see another Model S until mine arrives in a couple months.

I see tons of them on the way to work, the weekend and when I visit the Tesla store :) It's already been a 3 week wait or so and 6 more weeks until delivery might kill me! I'm not even in the window for applying for financing and insurance yet :(

I see tons of them on the way to work, the weekend and when I visit the Tesla store :) It's already been a 3 week wait or so and 6 more weeks until delivery might kill me! I'm not even in the window for applying for financing and insurance yet :(
Silicon Valley and Seattle are among the most popular areas for Tesla in the US, so doesn't surprise me. I just get a little jealous when it's mentioned.
I was pre-approved for financing with my credit union before confirming, though I may need to apply again later this month so it's locked down when I need it. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a problem to get approved with no credit score/report. I've also been checking insurance quotes, which are apparently all over the board. Looks like I'll end up with something around $300/month.