Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just Shredded Three Tires: Need Tire Recs ASAP!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well thats a bummer....
A construction truck in front of me dropped a TON of debris on the road which I coincidentally ran over.
3/4 tires are pretty shredded while the fourth has a slow leak.
Have to change the tires out a lot quicker than I had expected. Currently running tsport rims 19".
Deciding on a few different tires but after 5 hours of research last night, I'm back to square one.
I was CONTEMPLATING on running 245 but decided to just stick with the 235 and play it safe.
The tires I'm contemplating are:

Continental PureContact LS
Cintuarto P7 All Season Plus (there seems to be a new version though)
Primacy MXM4

I would't mind High Performance All Season tires but those don't seem to come that frequently.

If you want a very solid and readily available set of all-seasons, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is your tire.

It is not available in 235/40R19, but is available in 245/40R19. The different size results in only a 1.1% speedometer error.

M3-235-245-Comp.png

Reactions: e-FTW
Dammit guys, you guys are making me want to go up to 245 then.
Okay so the new options are:
P7 All Season Plus 2
DSW06
A/S3

Only issue with the A/S3 is some of these reviews are stating that they're getting like 15-20K miles. WHAT. The P7 has a warranty of 70K. That is an absolute gulf of a difference. That being said, with the P7 having less grip, I'm a bit concerned that my wheels might start spinning out. I'm also a bit weary about have a speedometer that is slightly off.
Who knew tire shopping could be so stressful.

This chart has the most info you will find on Model 3 tires anywhere. Just avoid the Tesla Service Center. Other options should be way cheaper with better warranty conditions.

VERSION 2: Comparison of best Model 3 compatible tires (18", 19", 20") : teslamotors
Thanks for the link. I've seen that before, and it's good for a refresher.

So here's my question. For 18-inch all-season tires, Michelin Cross Climate + seems to be the clear winner, better in every metric than the original MXM4, and edging out all other competitors. It's even cheaper than the MXM4. Is there any reason not to buy this tire? The only datum I don't see is efficiency. If this tire would knock 15% off our range, for example, that would slow me down. Thoughts?

Thanks for the link. I've seen that before, and it's good for a refresher.

So here's my question. For 18-inch all-season tires, Michelin Cross Climate + seems to be the clear winner, better in every metric than the original MXM4, and edging out all other competitors. It's even cheaper than the MXM4. Is there any reason not to buy this tire? The only datum I don't see is efficiency. If this tire would knock 15% off our range, for example, that would slow me down. Thoughts?

Just about anything will be less efficient than the Primacy MXM4 -- those are some of the highest efficiency tires out there. Having said that, I would doubt that the CrossClimate+ tires will penalize you more than 5-7% compared to the Primacys. The Pilot Sport A/S 3+ will have lower efficiency, probably 10-15% lower than the Primacy.

• Informative
Reactions: CharleyBC
If you want a very solid and readily available set of all-seasons, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is your tire.

It is not available in 235/40R19, but is available in 245/40R19. The different size results in only a 1.1% speedometer error.

M3-235-245-Comp.png

That would be my recommendation as well, and that 1% change actually corrects a 1.5% speedometer error. We have a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport all-season 3 + and they are amazing.

will the 245 tires reduce the chances of getting curb rash?
In general, and most likely within the same brand, yes. It's not going to be a big difference in protection as you're only going to get another ~5mm of width.
You have to read the tire specs to be positive, though. Some brand's 235's might be a little wider or narrower than a different brand.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mbdionio
Just about anything will be less efficient than the Primacy MXM4 -- those are some of the highest efficiency tires out there. Having said that, I would doubt that the CrossClimate+ tires will penalize you more than 5-7% compared to the Primacys. The Pilot Sport A/S 3+ will have lower efficiency, probably 10-15% lower than the Primacy.
So, I'm a software engineer, but definitely not a tire engineer. How can you evaluate efficiency from what we see in that table? Or are you using other info not in the table? I'm just trying to learn here! Thanks!

Heavy car. Insta torque. It sucks. Cry once, drop the $1k every 1.5-2 years and just go on with life.

I was at this point a month ago when my dear wife bent two of my 20"s. $1,500 later I'm rocking A/S 3+ and newly painted/fixed 20s :) YOLO!

My suggestion is that you should buy tires with a warranty and go to shops that will cover it if they wear out too quickly. Even the standard MXM4's can be covered by michelin prorated warranty if they wear out before 45k miles.

My suggestion is that you should buy tires with a warranty and go to shops that will cover it if they wear out too quickly. Even the standard MXM4's can be covered by michelin prorated warranty if they wear out before 45k miles.

Remember that to claim a treadwear warranty replacement, most tire companies will require that you produce records showing that rotations were done according to their rules. This usually means that you must rotate every X months or Y thousand miles, or as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer, whichever is shorter. Tesla typically does not require or offer tire rotation as part of normal maintenance, so if you don't do it, that will void the treadwear warranty.

Also, Michelin specifically states that OEM tires that are delivered on the vehicle are no longer covered by the treadwear warranty as of 2018. So, you can claim a warranty on Michelin Primacy MXM4's, but only ones that you buy later, not the ones that were delivered on the car.

Tire shops will sell a road hazard warranty as an optional addition when you buy tires, but this generally covers pothole damage, punctures, etc., not treadwear.