Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just sold my Model Y - Parting thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just sold my Model Y to Driveo. Great price BTW - 62,500 for a May Build 2021 Model Y with 20" wheels. It was a quick and smooth experience.

Since this was my first Tesla, I thought I'd share some thoughts on the car having owned it for almost 7 months.

Highs:
1) Powertrain. Power deliver was very impressive - especially given this was the LR and not the Performance model.
2) Phone Key. I love the phone key. It is so simple and I don't know why every OEM doesn't implement it in the same way. This is one of those things other companies over complicate.
3) Some other cool nuggets in software - I like the built-in streaming services, the ability to open and close garage door based on proximity, the simple and intuitive user profiles and the way you set them up.
4) Space. The Model Y is extremely well packaged with lots of interior space and lots of storage. It's really amazing.
5) Value. At the $52k price this car sold for new, it was untouchable in terms of value.
6) 5 standard heated seats and heated steering wheel. This was very impressive to me and is one of the things that makes Tesla appealing on the used market. You don't need to worry if it has this or doesn't have it depending on how it was specced.
7) Impressive resale value.

712B4324-9010-4DD8-B466-44CA82E37D10.jpeg

Lows:
1) Rigidity. The car did not feel very rigid. You could sense a the chassis flex every time you drive. It felt cheaply built compared with a German car. They went with style over engineering. I would prefer a more rigid car than an uninterrupted glass roof.
2) Rough suspension. The suspension on the Model Y is pretty poor. You feel everything. I know some will say it is because I got the 20" wheels. However a lot of cars have 20" wheels with low profile tires and don't have this issue. This is one area they should have done a better job.
3) Autopilot. I like the Autopilot, but I also hate it. I regularly found myself in situations where it would tell me auto steering is disabled for the rest of the drive. I've never experienced that with any other brand.
4) Extreme minimalism. No roof blind or blackout function. No instrument cluster. Cheap doorhandles. No ambient lighting. Lack of physical buttons and switches to an extreme.
5) Range falls short of EPA estimates.

Overall I would say I leave Tesla with a positive impression of the brand, but I also feel there are a few areas they badly need to address if they want to stay leaders in this segment. The lows I described above will be important to address as the competition catches up in other aspects.

"So far in 2021, short sellers in Tesla - the biggest short in the stock market - have endured $14.2 billion in realized and unrealized losses, according to Ihor Dusaniwsky, managing director of predictive analytics at S3 Partners."

"It’s hard to imagine anyone has had a better year than Elon Musk did in 2020.

His personal net worth soared like one of his SpaceX rockets, increasing by more than $100 billion. And his loudest critics, aka investors who shorted Tesla (TSLA) stock on the assumption the share price would go down, lost a record $40.1 billion betting against him, according to analysis by S3 Partners."

Reactions: WhiteWi
True. But Tesla’s stock at its peak was a ridiculous bubble. Also curious to see how it fares when the bottom falls out of the auto market.
Based on Gary Black, it was not a bubble at all even at its peak since the target price is much higher all the time. Also, TSLA is different than legacy auto market and different expectation. It is treated more like a tech company then auto maker, and it has been crushing all the expectations on the street. Also, it has many positive catalysts that are coming up, so it will be a good long term investment, and even for short term quick in and out if you can time it right. =)
When Tesla first started and its price was around $150, all the expectation and experts were saying they will crash to a single digit price and eventually disappear, but the opposite happened.

Based on Gary Black, it was not a bubble at all even at its peak since the target price is much higher all the time. Also, TSLA is different than legacy auto market and different expectation. It is treated more like a tech company then auto maker, and it has been crushing all the expectations on the street. Also, it has many positive catalysts that are coming up, so it will be a good long term investment, and even for short term quick in and out if you can time it right. =)
When Tesla first started and its price was around $150, all the expectation and experts were saying they will crash to a single digit price and eventually disappear, but the opposite happened.
"Tesla’s shares have declined more than 40 percent since April 4 — a much steeper fall than the broad market, vaporizing more than $400 billion in stock market value. And the tumble has called attention to the risks that the company faces. These include increasing competition, a dearth of new products, lawsuits accusing the company of racial discrimination and significant production problems at Tesla’s factory in Shanghai, which it uses to supply Asia and Europe."

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
So... EV6... there are ways to get it a MSRP. There are high volume Kia dealers that will custom order it. How do I know? I pinged various Kia dealers since I'm seriously considering ditching one of my EVs for a Telluride because these EV crossovers are too small and with Tellurides you absolutely need to order out of state because of $20K markups. I really want the R1S to arrive at this point.

As for Toyota at MSRP... lol. Even if my Toyota dealer (that sold me my Prime at MSRP) decided to give me first dibs on the bz4z... they will still add $4K in junk/fees. The bz4x is RAV4 Prime 2.0 buying insanity all over again because there's no online reservation system and they will only be allocated to certain states.

My Solterra reservation I may get it a MSRP because the local dealer I reserved it with seems to be reasonable (and small). If there was a small $2K markup I'd might consider accepting delivery if it drives like a BEV-version of the RAV4 Prime. From what I hear though... I don't foresee MSRP for either of these two EVs.
I am looking to sell a 2022 gravity gray/black SX Prestige Telly w nightfall, tow, and RSE. It has 8200 miles and climbing. Has Modesta ceramic as well. Just did the 8000 mile service which was an oil change. Tesla obviously low balled me. It will probably go to Cargurus or a local small dealer.

I am looking to sell a 2022 gravity gray/black SX Prestige Telly w nightfall, tow, and RSE. It has 8200 miles and climbing. Has Modesta ceramic as well. Just did the 8000 mile service which was an oil change. Tesla obviously low balled me. It will probably go to Cargurus or a local small dealer.

Gas guzzlers have plummeted in price. I kept tabs on the value of my Telluride SX via Carvana and back in early May it was $60K+ offers and now it is $49K and I have only 2K miles (it's solely used for weekend trips) over the last 3 months. It's weirdly my favorite car to drive if going further than 25 miles. The lane keep assist and blind spot alarms are my favorite features.

What did Tesla offer? I suspect auction prices have collapsed for some cars. The new 2023 Telluride is due soon.

That’s what you get when you buy Hyundai/Kia and try to sell. It’s been like that for a long time.
Nah.. they are still in high demand with 8 month waits. The Telluride is fantastic car. Deserves to win all the car of the year awards it's received. I much prefer it over driving my Teslas on road trips.

The problem is... used gas guzzlers are falling in price.

Nah.. they are still in high demand with 8 month waits. The Telluride is fantastic car. Deserves to win all the car of the year awards it's received. I much prefer it over driving my Teslas on road trips.

The problem is... used gas guzzlers are falling in price.
I am not questioning how good Telluride is. Wait time to get the new car doesn't matter when it comes to resale value. I am just telling you how used car market prices Hyundai/Kia cars compare to Honda/Toyota/Mazda. The resale values goes down very quickly for the Hyundai/Kia cars.

Gas guzzlers have plummeted in price. I kept tabs on the value of my Telluride SX via Carvana and back in early May it was $60K+ offers and now it is $49K and I have only 2K miles (it's solely used for weekend trips) over the last 3 months. It's weirdly my favorite car to drive if going further than 25 miles. The lane keep assist and blind spot alarms are my favorite features.

What did Tesla offer? I suspect auction prices have collapsed for some cars. The new 2023 Telluride is due soon.
Tesla offered 50k. Cargurus offered 56,700. That was a month ago. I think the Telluride has been desirable right from the gate and will continue to be. There are so many people that will strictly look at a used car (my bro and sis in law). They just bought a used Mazda and Toyota. When I asked them if they looked at new cars, their reply was no🤷🏻‍♂️

Tesla offered 50k. Cargurus offered 56,700. That was a month ago. I think the Telluride has been desirable right from the gate and will continue to be. There are so many people that will strictly look at a used car (my bro and sis in law). They just bought a used Mazda and Toyota. When I asked them if they looked at new cars, their reply was no🤷🏻‍♂️

Tellurides will still be in demand but Kia makes 100K of them per year in GA. They will have good resale value BUT expecting them to resell $10K-$15K over MSRP on the used market... that might be ending. Especially when the Palisade markups and used resale values over MSRP are sub $5K and the new 2023 Telluride refresh is arriving in Sept. I heard there was a glut of used Tellurides on lots and that's why used prices for them have been falling.

I have the same opinion about Model Ys... if Austin gets to full capacity and wait times drop from 10 months to 2 months.. you won't see $5K to $10K markups on used Model Ys.