Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just sold my Model Y - Parting thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just sold my Model Y to Driveo. Great price BTW - 62,500 for a May Build 2021 Model Y with 20" wheels. It was a quick and smooth experience.

Since this was my first Tesla, I thought I'd share some thoughts on the car having owned it for almost 7 months.

Highs:
1) Powertrain. Power deliver was very impressive - especially given this was the LR and not the Performance model.
2) Phone Key. I love the phone key. It is so simple and I don't know why every OEM doesn't implement it in the same way. This is one of those things other companies over complicate.
3) Some other cool nuggets in software - I like the built-in streaming services, the ability to open and close garage door based on proximity, the simple and intuitive user profiles and the way you set them up.
4) Space. The Model Y is extremely well packaged with lots of interior space and lots of storage. It's really amazing.
5) Value. At the $52k price this car sold for new, it was untouchable in terms of value.
6) 5 standard heated seats and heated steering wheel. This was very impressive to me and is one of the things that makes Tesla appealing on the used market. You don't need to worry if it has this or doesn't have it depending on how it was specced.
7) Impressive resale value.

712B4324-9010-4DD8-B466-44CA82E37D10.jpeg

Lows:
1) Rigidity. The car did not feel very rigid. You could sense a the chassis flex every time you drive. It felt cheaply built compared with a German car. They went with style over engineering. I would prefer a more rigid car than an uninterrupted glass roof.
2) Rough suspension. The suspension on the Model Y is pretty poor. You feel everything. I know some will say it is because I got the 20" wheels. However a lot of cars have 20" wheels with low profile tires and don't have this issue. This is one area they should have done a better job.
3) Autopilot. I like the Autopilot, but I also hate it. I regularly found myself in situations where it would tell me auto steering is disabled for the rest of the drive. I've never experienced that with any other brand.
4) Extreme minimalism. No roof blind or blackout function. No instrument cluster. Cheap doorhandles. No ambient lighting. Lack of physical buttons and switches to an extreme.
5) Range falls short of EPA estimates.

Overall I would say I leave Tesla with a positive impression of the brand, but I also feel there are a few areas they badly need to address if they want to stay leaders in this segment. The lows I described above will be important to address as the competition catches up in other aspects.

Tellurides will still be in demand but Kia makes 100K of them per year in GA. They will have good resale value BUT expecting them to resell $10K-$15K over MSRP on the used market... that might be ending. Especially when the Palisade markups and used resale values over MSRP are sub $5K and the new 2023 Telluride refresh is arriving in Sept. I heard there was a glut of used Tellurides on lots and that's why used prices for them have been falling.

I have the same opinion about Model Ys... if Austin gets to full capacity and wait times drop from 10 months to 2 months.. you won't see $5K to $10K markups on used Model Ys.
As long as I get what I paid OTD, then I’ll be ok with that. Nine months of driving a vehicle for free. I’ll even settle for a tad less than OTD price. Excited to be trying out something relatively new to the auto industry!

Tellurides will still be in demand but Kia makes 100K of them per year in GA. They will have good resale value BUT expecting them to resell $10K-$15K over MSRP on the used market... that might be ending. Especially when the Palisade markups and used resale values over MSRP are sub $5K and the new 2023 Telluride refresh is arriving in Sept. I heard there was a glut of used Tellurides on lots and that's why used prices for them have been falling.

I have the same opinion about Model Ys... if Austin gets to full capacity and wait times drop from 10 months to 2 months.. you won't see $5K to $10K markups on used Model Ys.
So many people seem to forget this part.. and that is this whole "markup" or "adjusted market value" pricing thing is temporary.

One of the reasons it took me so long to buy a Tesla was the price KEPT dropping. When I did the original test drive on the Model 3 is was back in summer 2018 and the cheapest car Tesla sold was the $50K Model 3 LR.. AP was an extra $3K.. and I just couldn't get myself to pay $60K OTD for a commuter car. I ended up buying a Honda for less than half that price. Over the years I kept watching as Tesla came out with the MR Model 3 for $44K. Then the SR+ Model 3 for $40K. Then the true $35K Model 3 is available by phone or in-person only. Then a $58K Model Y.. then $42K SR Model Y.. then a $2000 price cut on the SR Model Y which is when I finally pulled the trigger at $39,990.

And while I don't expect a $40K Model Y to show up anytime soon. I also don't expect people to continue to pay $80K for used Model Y's either. At some point, the bubble has to burst because the value of everything right now is so incredibly overinflated. As you pointed point.. if Austin gets to full capacity that means Tesla should be selling almost 2 million cars a year. With Berlin & Austin at full capacity.. that's 2 million Model Y's per year. And that's when you see supply & demand go back to the other way around.. which generally means more supply than demand.

And that's before we even get into any recession-type talk. It's easy to forget most people only sign up for a car payment. Very, very few people can afford these vehicles if they had to pay the full price upfront in cash:

Last edited:

The car market for the last year has been a complete anomaly. No one can predict the future, but making plans on it continuing like this is foolish, IMO.

So many people seem to forget this part.. and that is this whole "markup" or "adjusted market value" pricing thing is temporary.

One of the reasons it took me so long to buy a Tesla was the price KEPT dropping. When I did the original test drive on the Model 3 is was back in summer 2018 and the cheapest car Tesla sold was the $50K Model 3 LR.. AP was an extra $3K.. and I just couldn't get myself to pay $60K OTD for a commuter car. I ended up buying a Honda for less than half that price. Over the years I kept watching as Tesla came out with the MR Model 3 for $44K. Then the SR+ Model 3 for $40K. Then the true $35K Model 3 is available by phone or in-person only. Then a $58K Model Y.. then $42K SR Model Y.. then a $2000 price cut on the SR Model Y which is when I finally pulled the trigger at $39,990.

And while I don't expect a $40K Model Y to show up anytime soon. I also don't expect people to continue to pay $80K for used Model Y's either. At some point, the bubble has to burst because the value of everything right now is so incredibly overinflated. As you pointed point.. if Austin gets to full capacity that means Tesla should be selling almost 2 million cars a year. With Berlin & Austin at full capacity.. that's 2 million Model Y's per year. And that's when you see supply & demand go back to the other way around.. which generally means more supply than demand.

And that's before we even get into any recession-type talk. It's easy to forget most people only sign up for a car payment. Very, very few people can afford these vehicles if they had to pay the full price upfront in cash:

Daekwan, your ‘Epic and a Genius’ who could predict that incredible low price?
How did you ever know the price was going to drop that low (Rick bottom) ? 😲👍🏻
I bet you also bought Tesla stock at $20-30 dollars 😃 You definitely have a gift..

Thank for sharing..

Daekwan, your ‘Epic and a Genius’ who could predict that incredible low price?
How did you ever know the price was going to drop that low (Rick bottom) ? 😲👍🏻
I bet you also bought Tesla stock at $20-30 dollars 😃 You definitely have a gift..

Thank for sharing..
I didn’t predict anything. I just refused to pay $60K for a car. The longer I waited the cheaper the price got.. until it was finally at a point where I felt it was affordable and reasonable.

I’m sure we all have different experiences. That said if you anxious to pay $80K for a Model Y.. please by all means buy mine! :)

Last edited:
By the way my average stock price is 300

Down to almost 200 bucks with a bullet. Company officially worth half of what it was now.

Down to almost 200 bucks with a bullet. Company officially worth half of what it was now.
Ya good time to start nibbling on a buy :) particularly if a share buyback is in the cards.
Bought yest at close. 🤷🏽‍♂️

The one with just 22 miles on it had to be a flip. A new, white MY with 19” wheels and no other options is $66k so it’s hard to tell how good of a deal those are without knowing the options.

I checked... all base whites. And from the CarFax they were all bought at auction in May/June/July and have been sitting for almost 4 months unsold. This dealer has bought many Ys and sold them too. I think base whites are the least appealing when marked up.

Regarding ride stiffness.... There is a huge improvements from 2021 to 2022 models. I first test drove in March 2021 and the suspension was so stiff (I felt every bumps and rocks on NYC streets) that it really made me think twice. This is from someone coming from a 20" Benz SUV.....

However, fast forward to 2022... the ride is so much better. Still on the stiff side but it didn't feel like the whole chassis was vibrating.... it's amazing how the car has improved in such a short time.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Regarding ride stiffness.... There is a huge improvements from 2021 to 2022 models. I first test drove in March 2021 and the suspension was so stiff (I felt every bumps and rocks on NYC streets) that it really made me think twice. This is from someone coming from a 20" Benz SUV.....

However, fast forward to 2022... the ride is so much better. Still on the stiff side but it didn't feel like the whole chassis was vibrating.... it's amazing how the car has improved in such a short time.
I've see that in other places, too. It's good to hear. Can you tell that to all the people who slammed me for complaining about the suspension in my 2020 MY and who said there was no way for it to be any better in a car that was as heavy and had as much acceleration as the MY?