Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just Spoke to Tesla...Reservation date means NOTHING!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read the agreement and here is a clip directly from the order agreement.....

Order; Nonrefundable Order Payment; Changes. Once you submit your completed order, we will locate a vehicle to match your Vehicle Configuration and coordinate the shipment of the Vehicle for delivery. Your Order Payment covers the cost of these activities and other processing costs and is nonrefundable; it is not a deposit for the Vehicle. Any changes to your Vehicle Configuration, delivery location or expected delivery time after the Order Date will be difficult, if not impossible, for us to accommodate. If you want to make changes to your order, we will try to accommodate your request. If we accept your request, you will be subject to a non-refundable $500 change fee and potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date. Any
changes made by you to your Vehicle Configuration, including changes to the delivery location or estimated delivery date, will be reflected in a subsequent Vehicle Configuration that will form part of this Agreement.

Cancellation; Default: We incur significant costs in managing your order, and locating and coordinating delivery logistics for your Vehicle. We may also incur significant costs for remarketing and reselling the Vehicle, including additional coordination, logistics and transport costs. If you cancel or default in this Agreement, you will not be refunded your Order Payment as it has already been earned by us in taking and processing your order. You acknowledge that the Order Payment amount is a fair and reasonable estimate of the actual damages that we have incurred or may incur as a result of your breach of this Agreement, damages that are otherwise impracticable or extremely difficult to determine. When you take delivery of the vehicle we will provide a credit to the final purchase price of your Vehicle equivalent to the amount of the Order Payment you paid. This Order Payment and this Agreement are not made or entered into in anticipation of or pending any conditional sale contract.

Seems pretty clear to me????
Not sure what order agreement you’re looking at but this is verbatim from mine:

“Your Order Payment covers the cost of these activities and other processing costs and is not a deposit for the Vehicle. Your Order Payment is fully refundable only until your order is matched to a Vehicle, at which point it becomes nonrefundable”

So, until you are matched to a vehicle (in other words are assigned a VIN) the order payment remains refundable. Seems pretty clear to me as well.

Not sure what order agreement you’re looking at but this is verbatim from mine:

“Your Order Payment covers the cost of these activities and other processing costs and is not a deposit for the Vehicle. Your Order Payment is fully refundable only until your order is matched to a Vehicle, at which point it becomes nonrefundable”

So, until you are matched to a vehicle (in other words are assigned a VIN) the order payment remains refundable. Seems pretty clear to me as well.
My order agreement (on my Manage page) matches what @bigroccrek posted. Doesn't say anything about being refundable.

Tesla has many RWD LR cars in stock, and will let them sit until people buy them at HIGH PROFITS FOR TESLA.
As opposed to what? Tearing out 1/3 of the batteries and selling them as SR?

The answer here is simple. Tesla is GREEDY FOR YOUR MONEY!!!

Many people like me who reserved the first day are holding out for the base $35K model. Which Tesla refuses to make, even though they can, because it is LESS PROFITABLE FOR TESLA. This is why we have photos of parking lots loaded with Model 3's, and why you can now order an AWD or Performance 3 ahead of all the first day reservation holders who refuse to pay more than $35K and will wait Tesla out.

Tesla has many RWD LR cars in stock, and will let them sit until people buy them at HIGH PROFITS FOR TESLA. Tesla will also make profitable AWD and Performance cars now, the base model people can take a number and wait.

It is wrong that first day reservers are being forsaken for people who give Tesla more money. And it is wrong that Tesla refuses to make the car they promised, because it is less profitable for them.

In other words, Tesla only cares about you if you give them large profits on your sale. If you are holding them to their word of a $35K car, you can wait until they get good and ready to make it.

What profits?

They aren't LOSING money, they are spending it to develop their production lines and factories and all that. Not the same thing as losing money. And because of this, they are giving preference to the high profit orders.

You don’t need money to make a line to create SR battery packs?

Do you want
1.) SR Model 3 now and have no company around to support it a year from now?

2.) SR Model 3 built when it’s good and ready to be built where Tesla can support it for the years to come?

Nobody MADE you buy a Tesla. If you want your warranty to be worth anything you need to wise up and root for Tesla to maintain sound financial decisions.

Last edited:
Elon has stated that the people that purchased the original Roadster provided the seed money to make the Model S possible.
That the people that bought the expensive Model S made the Model X possible.
That the people that bought the expensive Model S and X made the Model 3 possible.
and that the people that are buying the more expensive and more optioned Model 3s will be the ones that get the volume and profit up enough to allow the $35,000 base Model 3 to be produced without causing the company to die.

Instead of getting upset while you are waiting for your prefered configuration to be produced and delivered, perhaps you should show some gratitude for those who have stepped up and purchased the configurations that make everything possible.

Even those who bought boring company hats, not a flame throwers or even surf boards have done their part in keeping this remarkable company solvent and successful.

H

Honestly just cancel. You'd be a nightmare costumer anyway.

Tesla will refund you 100% of your deposit. So call them now and goodbye.

Enjoy the Jaguar IPace you *might* get in 2 years (that is, if Google stops buying them). Meanwhile the rest of us will be driving our Teslas
Always a jerk in the crowd. Learn the English language....moron.

My agreement includes the refundable until vehicle match working. I ordered a RWD M3 last week. I'm guessing that they updated the order agreements to allow cancellation/refund so that people don't lose their minds if they don't get delivery by 12/31.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
My agreement includes the refundable until vehicle match working. I ordered a RWD M3 last week. I'm guessing that they updated the order agreements to allow cancellation/refund so that people don't lose their minds if they don't get delivery by 12/31.
Interesting, I stand corrected. Somewhat unfair that the order agreements have different wording regarding refunds. True, I canceled my reservation a few months ago and ordered two weeks ago. So, it seems the reservation date means that if you’re an early reservation holder, as I was, you get screwed if you’ve already ordered and have to cancel.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Interesting, I stand corrected. Somewhat unfair that the order agreements have different wording regarding refunds. True, I canceled my reservation a few months ago and ordered two weeks ago. So, it seems the reservation date means that if you’re an early reservation holder, as I was, you get screwed if you’ve already ordered and have to cancel.
As mentioned above by silentsnow31802, they seem to be willing to let people out anyway. At least sometimes if you ask in time.

Here’s my advice to the OP:

Don’t cancel, don’t fret about your place in line, don’t listen to the Tesla reps, don’t get on these forums too often, and just wait for the car. I reserved day one and ordered first production. And waited nearly ten weeks to take delivery. Delivery wasn’t a great experience either. Now I’m a month into owning the car and it is fantastic! You will love this car. No one has built an EV like this and it will be some time before they do. So sit back and distract yourself and even discount the delivery process. Just take the car home and put on that Tesla smile. You will get that smile, I guarantee it,

I was surprised to read that the $2500 was refundable as I read my original order agreement very carefully and did not see this. My original order agreement from 6/30/2018 for a Dual Motor clearly states not refundable:

Order; Nonrefundable Order Payment; Changes. Once you submit your completed order, we will locate a vehicle to match your
Vehicle Configuration and coordinate the shipment of the Vehicle for delivery. Your Order Payment covers the cost of these
activities and other processing costs and is nonrefundable
; it is not a deposit for the Vehicle. Any changes to your Vehicle
Configuration, delivery location or expected delivery time after the Order Date will be difficult, if not impossible, for us to accommodate.
If you want to make changes to your order, we will try to accommodate your request. If we accept your request, you will be subject to a
non-refundable $500 change fee and potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date. Any
changes made by you to your Vehicle Configuration, including changes to the delivery location or estimated delivery date, will be reflected
in a subsequent Vehicle Configuration that will form part of this Agreement.

However I subsequently modified my order via the Edit link to a Performance model on 7/11/2018, and there is new language saying it is refundable.

Order; Nonrefundable Order Payment; Changes. After you submit your completed order and the options you selected become
available in production, we will begin the process of matching your order to a vehicle and coordinating your Vehicle delivery. Your Order
Payment covers the cost of these activities and other processing costs and is not a deposit for the Vehicle. Your Order
Payment is fully refundable only until your order is matched to a Vehicle, at which point it becomes nonrefundable. Any
changes to your Vehicle Configuration, delivery location or expected delivery time after the Order Date will be difficult, if not impossible,
for us to accommodate. If you want to make changes to your order, we will try to accommodate your request. If we accept your request,
you may be subject to a non-refundable $500 change fee and potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your
original Order Date. Any changes made by you to your Vehicle Configuration, including changes to the delivery location or estimated
delivery date, will be reflected in a subsequent Vehicle Configuration that will form part of this Agreement.

I revised my order a second time on 7/27/2018 to add the Performance upgrade package, and the language is the same as the 7/11 agreement, thus is still refundable.

It thus appears that sometime between 6/30/18 and 7/11/18 they updated the language in the order agreement to say it is fully refundable until a VIN is assigned. I would assume for anyone with the older order agreement language that as a courtesy they will agree to refund it. Or you could edit your order and get new agreement language and then attempt to enforce that.

Best of luck!

• Informative
So I just got off the phone with Tesla because the "Reservation date" under "Payments" on my M3 Reservation page indicates a date paid of 1/1/0001.
View attachment 321738
Deposit 1/1/0001-$1,000.00
Not sure how you got to 'Reserve' so early but maybe you were able to go "Back to Future/Past" and somehow know back in 0001 that you should reserve a Telsa! I'm impressed! I guess you have been waiting a really long time...;)
If you have been following some of the 'postings' from a month or so back you will know that many people ahead of you that ordered the LR option waited a very very long time and in many cases the wait was not fair...delivery was ok... but the car is freaking amazing!! I reserved on day one, invited 4/18, ordered 4/22, received June delay email on 5/20 and received NO communication from Tesla until July 6th and received my Vin on July 12th and the car on July 15th (85 long days of waiting) and i'm not too far from the Factory. I did get frustrated watching people, like yourself, who ordered on 6/27 and get their Vin the next day or the car well before i got mine but there was nothing i could do. I think Tesla could improve their communication 1000% but they are in crazy mode and i'm not sure that's going to happen anytime soon. I support the company and their vision and I believe that they will get better. (sip of kool-aid) I did share my frustration on the forum with other 4/18 invites who were also waiting and a few of them got theirs well over 90 days of waiting! I pinch myself every time i walk into the garage to take a peak... or drive to work. :p So from someone who reserved day one, ordered in April and waited 85 days for my car ...Cheers! I hope you can enjoy your car when it arrives and put the rest behind you!
Buying a Tesla is like giving birth....the process can be painful but after the bundle of joy is in your possession you forget all about the pain!

So I just got off the phone with Tesla because the "Reservation date" under "Payments" on my M3 Reservation page indicates a date paid of 1/1/0001. (see below). In speaking to the Sales/Support person at Tesla I was told "Don't worry about it because the Reservation Date (when I put down $1000) over two years ago is irrelevant now" he went on to say that someone who orders today can get their Model 3 before me even though I reserved over two years ago. This has me a little pi$$ed. That's not what was said when I shucked the $$$ to Tesla.

Anyone else get this story from Tesla? Now I wished I hadn't put down the $2500 non-refundable, I would just wait a little more and get the Jaguar or the Volkswagen.

If true this just confirms that I won't be buying a second M3 for my wife when the SR comes along as I had planned.

View attachment 321738

Deposit 1/1/0001-$1,000.00

We often make irrational decision when we're upset. Just wait a little longer and you'll get yours. You will love it!

Reactions: Mr X