Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just suspended... Software updates do not reset FSD disengagement counter - disengagements can happen in 1-2 seconds notice and other FSDB gripe/notes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tell people (and riders that I’m demo’ing FSD beta for), “FSD beta will blow your mind. Maybe 95% of the time it’s amazing. But maybe 5% of the time it’ll try to kill you. When it comes to driving, 5% dead might as well be 100% dead, which is why I have to stay hyper aware, even when amazed 95% of the time.” It does not put my mind at ease like production AP on long drives, but helping Tesla improve it and seeing the improvements with updates is rewarding enough for me to keep using it.

Reactions: pilotSteve
As you appear to be one of the rare few to ever get kicked out it’s possible this might be a you issue. 10 miles or 10 thousand bad driver is the same.
It could be but To qualify for FSD one has to get the safety score of 99 or 100 which is no easy task. To simply suggest that the author is a bad driver is an oversimplification. There are many variables that the author describes which seem valid.

I also didn't realize there was no longer a reset to zero until this 10.11.2 update. I had my first disengage strike just before the update and was expecting a reset. But no. Didn't happen. My strike was from the internal camera. I was tapping around on my iPhone, something it really really does not like, to start a lecture I follow on my work commute and the camera got really pissed. I must have missed the first warning. I was watching the road and on a long flat stretch that I knew well. The camera likes to see your head or eyes move. It's funny like that. In future, I'll be sure to use my other head to scout the iPhone.......

I received an undeserved strike after several warnings about paying attention to the road, despite my head and eyes looking straight ahead. It wasn't until after I got the strike that I figured out the problem. My visor was lowered part way so it was pointing down and toward me. Either the visor or its shadow must have confused the camera. As a result, I always push the visor so it points forward and have not had any more problems.

It could be but To qualify for FSD one has to get the safety score of 99 or 100 which is no easy task. To simply suggest that the author is a bad driver is an oversimplification. There are many variables that the author describes which seem valid.
Using your phone while in the driver seat seems pretty clear to me. Even when the car isn’t moving.

I received an undeserved strike after several warnings about paying attention to the road, despite my head and eyes looking straight ahead. It wasn't until after I got the strike that I figured out the problem. My visor was lowered part way so it was pointing down and toward me. Either the visor or its shadow must have confused the camera. As a result, I always push the visor so it points forward and have not had any more problems.
I have come to the conclusion that if you get more than one warning it is best to find a place to stop - get out of the car - and start a a new drive rather than risk anything. If you don't do this my experience was that one of the next warnings on the same 'drive' would be an instant strike with no chance to 'look forward' or if you already are looking forward no chance to manually disengage before the strike. The system seems to get much more strict on subsequent warnings before striking on the same 'drive'.

Try doing so for almost two months and averaging 100+ miles a day driving in a major city with some of the worst traffic, the people that only drive a few miles a day and live in less urban areas have it much easier. Trying to keep the safety score at 99 was some of the most stressful driving I have ever had to do in my 3+ decades of driving. So many times there were instances where you just really couldn't do anything about getting safety score hits because of the actions of other drivers around you. One of the hardest things was leaving space between you and other cars (not following too close) because in the city here any bit of space gets filled and then a car gets in that spot, then has to slow down immediately because traffic ahead of them is slowing or stopped, which then causes you to have to 'brake hard' or 'follow too close'. I learned to drive on autopilot as much as I could to prevent this (but that was stressful cause often autopilot would brake harder and later than a human would). I also learned to follow behind 18-wheelers because nobody tries to fill in the space between you to get behind a slow moving 18-wheeler. The other really hard part was turning slow from larger roads - traffic here doesn't expect you to slow down that much before pulling off of a larger feeder or highway into a parking lot or something like that so cars you get right on your tail before braking - it was nerve wracking.

Last edited:
Reactions: monkeyhouse2
I tell people (and riders that I’m demo’ing FSD beta for), “FSD beta will blow your mind. Maybe 95% of the time it’s amazing. But maybe 5% of the time it’ll try to kill you. When it comes to driving, 5% dead might as well be 100% dead, which is why I have to stay hyper aware, even when amazed 95% of the time.” It does not put my mind at ease like production AP on long drives, but helping Tesla improve it and seeing the improvements with updates is rewarding enough for me to keep using it.
Right, but you shouldn't have to remain 'hyper aware' in situations where you are not moving, or at this point really in situations where you are moving 1-2 MPH, a few feet at a time, in stop and go traffic. The Tesla system (as well as many other companies' adaptive cruise control and lane control systems) are really good at this and I can't imagine a situations where it would be able to 'try to kill you' sitting still or creeping in traffic. I am not saying you should be able to zone out, but there is a difference between gripping the wheel and waiting for Tesla to do something wrong, especially when you have learned it probably will do something wrong, vs being a bit more relaxed because there really isn't something it can do wrong at that moment (again like when sitting still, or barely moving in traffic). My arguments have been that they should consider the 'strike' system being set to be a bit less aggressive in extreme low risk situations like that, perhaps give a second or two before handing out 'instant strikes' in these situations. I know that would be something which would take awhile to program and test etc, so maybe in the meantime they could consider removing a strike every certain amount of strike free miles driven so that people who drive way more than average are less likely to get strike out over time.

This is why I am glad that my MS does not have an internal camera. We get only three strikes but that is easily avoidable.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Question: Do you get a beta strike for an over 80mph disengagement?

Not sure because with every update they can change the rules. I can tell you that this happened to me once and I did a few things immediately that may or may not explain why I did NOT get a beta strike. Upon over-taking a truck I exceeded 80 and all kinds of warnings went off. I immediately hit the brake to disable AP (NOAP) and slowed below 80. Then while driving I did a scroll wheel reboot thinking that maybe I could delete it before it got recorded to the cloud. So nothing conclusive but it worked once. YMMV.

I think this is ridiculous. Tesla is still selling FSD years after promising it with only a beta available. Tesla says watch out because the car can do the most dangerous thing at the most inopportune time. But we are required to hold the wheel tight and shake it almost continuously. In short, we cannot punish Tesla for their faults, but they can punish us for what they think we may have done. I drove with beta for over a year but in the last few weeks I got two strikes while I had my hands on the wheel was paying attention to what I was doing but got kick off without seeing anything or a beep until the red light flashed and I was disconnected.