Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just suspended... Software updates do not reset FSD disengagement counter - disengagements can happen in 1-2 seconds notice and other FSDB gripe/notes

Hello Dcam, Thanks for your reply!
You've been suspended for 4 months? I took a trip to my Aunt's 100th birthday from Northern NY to Lincoln City Or, down through California & back on a southerly route via New Orleans. I would guess I was on Autopilot >90% of the time and was forced to pull over & park to continue using Autopilot many times, so would've had to drive much more had this been implemented at that time.
Is it possible to turn beta off & still use Autopilot? I'm not up on acronyms, What is NoA(No Autopilot)?
I am very pleased with my Tesla and would not fault an inanimate machine, but whoever decided to suspend a person indefinitely for something that I will call trivial, is liable to find legal issues. I don't recall anything like this being in the agreement I signed onto when paying a considerable amount of money for Autopilot & Enhanced Autopilot. Would this not be a breach of contract or did the legalese slide one by?
Yes, you can turn off FSD beta in the car settings => Autopilot menu. I don’t, but some people create a second driver profile for themselves without FSD beta to be able to easily switch FSD beta on/off (while in park) as needed. For your long trips, it may be a good idea to not take the chance of getting too many strikes and getting suspended.

FSD beta is an limited early release, so it’s not what we paid for (actual FSD) and therefore we aren’t entitled to it. Only a relatively small group of cars are allowed in to help developers test and progress the FSD product development. So playing by their rules is to be expected to stay in.

For what it’s worth, yes I’ve had one strike for I’m not sure why in the 9 months I’ve had FSD beta. But even driving across the country from coast to coast we didn’t have any strikes during that trip.

AP = (Production) Autopilot
NoA (or NoAP) = Navigate on Autopilot
FSD Capability = package you purchased or subscribed to
EAP = Enhanced Autopilot (used to also mean early access program)
FSDb = FSD beta

I just came back from a very frustrating road trip with FSD Beta! I honestly want the production build back, and have no more confidence in Autopilot. This might actually be a hardware issue, as I suspect my main computer to have some issue. I hope it is a hardware issue honestly, this was terrible!

I now have 2 Strikes, both because the camera could not see my eyes, despite them being looking right at the road. I was driving between Salt lake city and Wadsworth nevada on highway 80. It is very straight and pretty flat.

The car gave me an error even saying that the cabin camera wasn't working correctly, and the very next drive, it was acting strange like I have never experienced.

Within 3 seconds of engaging autopilot, without and with sunglasses on "Please pay attention to road" shows on the screen. This happened over and over until I got 2 strikes. I had pulled over and tried to immediately get out of jail only to get put back in AP jail less than 5 minutes later.

Then on the 3rd drive, the cabin camera seemed to reset and I could drive without the "Pay attention to road" constant and instant warnings. Mind you I am very good about looking at the road and rarely look away. I was always looking right at the road. Then new behavior developed, which I have also never seen.

Literally within 2-3 seconds of activating autopilot, I would get a hands on wheel warning, with audible cue that would interrupt any music. This beep cue would continue approximately every 3-5 seconds unless I held constant heavy pressure one way or the other on the wheel.

I am not talking about normal constant hands on wheel pressure as I have experienced for the last 100k miles, I am talking about unreasonable heavy input near the limit of AP disengagement. If I released pressure for just a moment to relax pushing right or left, within 2-3 seconds I would get an audible cue and hands on wheel warning, this beep would continue every 2-3 seconds or less.

The usual progression of driver monitoring is:
Step 1 after 15 seconds or less without detected wheel torque "Please keep hands on wheel" shown on screen, no audible cue
Step 2, if you ignore that a few seconds the top of the screen flashes blue a couple times, slow then faster
Step 3 the car beeps if you still haven't responded to the other cues.
Sometimes the beep cues also happen when AP loses confidence in sun or other conditions like a steep curve.

New behavior:
Step 1 after 2 seconds, Audible beep plus "Please keep hands on wheel" repeats over and over within 2-3 seconds of releasing turning torque.

There sure are. But in that one release it was rampant, and Tesla quickly sent a fix.

BTW, the steering nag has been there for a long time. It can't make out if you just keep your hand on the wheel, you need to apply a slight torque from time to time.
What do you think about using a scroll wheel briefly as an alternative to applying a slight torque?

What do you think about using a scroll wheel briefly as an alternative to applying a slight torque?
It is nice when it works but there are some times when the scroll wheel simply will not substitute for wheel torque.

I suspect this an algorithm to prevent misuse. Someone could sell a replacement scroll wheel or device that simulated a roll up then down every so many seconds. The wheel torque seems to be the only way to get rid of the nag at times, and I do not totally understand those conditions..

Reactions: PhysicsGuy

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC