Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just test drove a model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove a model Y today and didn't like the drive. It felt fidgety with too much body roll and instability even in mild wind on the motorway. Overall, I thought the ride quality was poor compared to the model 3. My girlfriend agreed, although she really liked the way it looked. I know these are SUV characteristics so just wondering if anyone else felt the same, or chose one and got used to it?

Reactions: CAM3RON
The ride quality itself (suspension) feels similar to me between the two cars, but I prefer driving my model 3 Performance vs the model Y performance I just got for my wife, at least for my regular commute.

If I were going on a long trip, however, I would take the Y. I think its better for "cruising" but not better for "driving". I drive back roads home from the office that are windy roads, to "enjoy my car a little" but if I was sitting in traffic on the freeway, the Y would be my choice to do that. Its also a better hauler of stuff.

Depends on what you want to do with the car, but yes, the Y is bigger and sways more. Physics always wins.

Reactions: rpiotro
I test drove a model Y today and didn't like the drive. It felt fidgety with too much body roll and instability even in mild wind on the motorway. Overall, I thought the ride quality was poor compared to the model 3. My girlfriend agreed, although she really liked the way it looked. I know these are SUV characteristics so just wondering if anyone else felt the same, or chose one and got used to it?
@colt033 I felt the same way from my test drives last year. Unfortunately it is typical of CUV vs sedan/hatch/wagon in my experience - the crossover version usually rides and handles worse (unless fitted with a more advanced suspension to compensate). Other examples I've experienced are Subaru Forester vs Impreza, Volvo XC60 vs S60/V60, BMW X3 vs 3-series. What you gain in height and space, you lose in driving dynamics.

The Y has great seating positions and packaging, it's way better for hauling cargo or adult-size back seat passengers, but if those aren't priorities the 3 is much better to drive.