Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just thought about how to abuse free supercharging.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So letting all these “charge to 100%” folks charge away... they just won’t process it as their own fault when their car drops to a max charge range of 30-feet a few years from now...

Charging the battery to 100% does not affect long-term degradation if you drive the car once it's up to 100%. Long-term degradation occurs if/when people charge to 100% and leave the car at 100% SOC for more than an hour (or so). The internal heat buildup over time degrades the battery. But if you charge to 100% and drive right away to drain down at least 5%, no real degradation will occur. I've charged to 100% many times while on road trips when I needed the marginal extra range, and my battery is degreated about average compared to all other 2014/2015 P85D owners (3%-5%).

I've seen that happen at lesser-used Superchargers where idle fees are rare — somebody shows up in a different car, unplugs the Tesla that was there before I showed up, and leaves with it.

It's not abuse though. It's the free Supercharging that they purchased with their car. It is immensely stupid, economically speaking, when you factor in the time and fuel for the other vehicle versus just installing a charger at home.
When I’m on trips, I’ve used uber to go do some shopping while the car charges. Just to note that may be what you are seeing in some cases.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911