Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Please check out the latest TMC Podcast (#13) where we discussed new Model Y launches, Tesla improving service, nationwide EV charging expansion, and viewer comments from previous episodes YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Just to let you know , AMD Ryzen is so fast, everything feels like im using my home PC

New or old?

Attachments

• E8ED3819-0DE4-4D0B-9CD3-6AA5FEF39A82.jpeg
    E8ED3819-0DE4-4D0B-9CD3-6AA5FEF39A82.jpeg
    326.4 KB · Views: 107
Yeah im not computer expert and i really dont need fast computer in my car, all i need is good stereo and fast GPS maps. But this upgrade is so good, before i thought everything is slow (sometimes) because of poor internet signal, but i see now it is not the case
Most people have no clue what's running their phones, tablets or cars. (Most people actually had no clue how many chips were in a car until we started having supply issues that meant they couldn't get a car because there were no chips) The other thing people don't realize is just how much processing power goes in to full self driving - there's a ton of real time video image processing and analysis necessary that takes a fair amount of power.

What you can appreciate is quicker, more responsive performance from the map and touch screen. The other advantage is the better processors are more efficient, meaning less wasted energy and less drain on the battery.

Well I knew when I bought mine in 2020 that there was never an optimal "time to buy" and that the newer models would always have more cool stuff. But I'm not concerned enough to sell and upgrade... yet.

Fortunately for me, if I ever need to make the infotainment screen seem snappier, all I have to do is hop in my Bolt and drive around for a while. Even just pushing the "Home" button in that car, you can go get a bite and a cuppa* while you wait for it to update the display. Hop back in the Y and everything feels like warp drive by comparison.

I used to do a similar thing when I lived in Boston and was feeling like it was too big and noisy and crowded. I'd go to NYC for a show and after returning Boston felt like a small town!

*I'm talking about a cup of joe at Tim Horton's here of course, and I live 400 miles from the Canadian border!!
Tesla has adopted a model of continuous improvement in their cars meaning changes are implemented as soon as they're ready rather than waiting for a new model year. Overall, that's better, but it leads to the phenomenon or people waiting for 'next month' when something new is supposed to roll out. What you describe is true - figure out what you need and buy when it's right for you.

Interesting to see this. Intel used to be king in processors but they fell behind AMD some time ago and have mostly been riding their name since then. AMD has better performance both in terms of raw power and in terms of energy efficiency, both of which are important for mobile applications.

As an example, I have a MacBook Pro with an intel processor and the processor sucks so much power that it's almost too hot to touch. The new MacBooks equipped with Apple's processor only use ⅓ the power that the intel models used.

It's kind of annoying the 3s seem to get the upgrade before the Y. More 3s with the AMD. 3s got the upgraded door trim now standard on MIC MY.

I'm guessing a lot of this will change as the new factory comes online, but it's annoying the more expensive vehicle is the second to get the upgrades.

Still, congrats to those that got the new processor.

Interesting to see this. Intel used to be king in processors but they fell behind AMD some time ago and have mostly been riding their name since then. AMD has better performance both in terms of raw power and in terms of energy efficiency, both of which are important for mobile applications.

As an example, I have a MacBook Pro with an intel processor and the processor sucks so much power that it's almost too hot to touch. The new MacBooks equipped with Apple's processor only use ⅓ the power that the intel models used.
1640968935574.png

Here's a shot of my wife's M1 Air using 1/10th the amount of power doing the exact task as my Intel MBP. 36.7 watts vs 3.3 watts - The Intel MBP is long gone now

thesmokingman

Jun 21, 2021
Socal
Here's a shot of my wife's M1 Air using 1/10th the amount of power doing the exact task as my Intel MBP. 36.7 watts vs 3.3 watts - The Intel MBP is long gone now
Yea, it's insane how Intel didn't give a crap about what their customers wanted, just kept on printing the same wafers over and over with more +'s behind it. With Intel's latest gen, to get ahead of AMD's last gen they doubled up on power usage so you get same performance for twice the power draw.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC