Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just to let you know , AMD Ryzen is so fast, everything feels like im using my home PC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I knew when I bought mine in 2020 that there was never an optimal "time to buy" and that the newer models would always have more cool stuff. But I'm not concerned enough to sell and upgrade... yet.

Fortunately for me, if I ever need to make the infotainment screen seem snappier, all I have to do is hop in my Bolt and drive around for a while. Even just pushing the "Home" button in that car, you can go get a bite and a cuppa* while you wait for it to update the display. Hop back in the Y and everything feels like warp drive by comparison.

I used to do a similar thing when I lived in Boston and was feeling like it was too big and noisy and crowded. I'd go to NYC for a show and after returning Boston felt like a small town!

*I'm talking about a cup of joe at Tim Horton's here of course, and I live 400 miles from the Canadian border!!

Well I knew when I bought mine in 2020 that there was never an optimal "time to buy" and that the newer models would always have more cool stuff. But I'm not concerned enough to sell and upgrade... yet.
Yea, ironically Tesla Model 3/Y upgrade cycle has been insane. I've never seen anything like it even in IT circles. Phones, nope, graphics cards, nope... cpu nope. Teslas... 3 to 6 months, LMAO. Thus we have to be copacetic with what we have. Fight the urge to upgrade and well it's a lot more financially complex than a computer to swap. My wife joked the other day, don't be surprised when I upgrade like a she was taunting me. I think she was joking right?

Last edited:
Got my new MYLR yesterday in NV, immediately after delivery noticed how everything runs smoothly, Tought it is because new UI i just downloaded.
Gps map is loading so fast and all apps are much faster then my ex 2021 MYSR i sold.
And to my surprise i found out i have new processor.
Built date is 12/21 and win 3391xx.
My friend got delivery on same day with vin higher then mine and his car shows Intel Atom.

Not sure how but i just got lucky.

Also im curious to see if anyone else got it . My cameras are so much better, and video from sentry and dash look much better when comparing my old MY.
Wonder if it is because of new chip or something else
You are the only confirmed MYLR with AMD chip in the whole community. 347xxx, 349xxx and 351xxx all don’t have it.

But would you be able to post some pictures to validate?

Anyone know if the old atom based UI could be upgraded by Telsa? Is it just a card, or does the entire display need to be swapped out?
Your statement is confusing. the User Interface is based off the old atom cpu. The UI received an upgrade via over the air software update very recently. As far as upgrading from the your current MCU or old atom to the new MCU only time will tell. Tesla did offer an upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 for around $2000. The first MCU ran from 2012 to 2018. This second MCU started in 2018 and seems to be phasing out in favor of the third MCU right now. So the second MCU ran from 2018-2022. 6 years on the first generation. 3-4 years on the second generation. If the trend holds expect a new iPhone, I mean Tesla computer upgrade every 2-3 years

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Anyone know if the old atom based UI could be upgraded by Telsa? Is it just a card, or does the entire display need to be swapped out?
In the 3, Y, and refresh S/X the MCU computer is separate from the display, but the computer module contains both the MCU and AP computers. (It could likely be broken apart and just the MCU portion replaced, but as far as I know Tesla only replaces the whole module so you would be replacing the AP computer with a AMD retrofit. Making it more expensive.)

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
In the 3, Y, and refresh S/X the MCU computer is separate from the display, but the computer module contains both the MCU and AP computers. (It could likely be broken apart and just the MCU portion replaced, but as far as I know Tesla only replaces the whole module so you would be replacing the AP computer with a AMD retrofit. Making it more expensive.)
Ah, so it would be better to wait for the Hardware 4 AP ("H4") upgrade later this year/early next, then. I understand the Cybertruck will release with the H4 unit, if I recall correctly.

for people asking me if i got new 12v battery also, well i don`t know, i tried to look inside but under long plastic there is another one. I can not see battery unless i unscrew everything and i dont want to do that. I watched all youtube videos to see how to check the battery and none of them have this second peace of protection

Attachments

• 269882839_3021250604765422_4821389227599472417_n.jpg
    269882839_3021250604765422_4821389227599472417_n.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 226
  • 269931978_349500713206488_7479155436057769149_n.jpg
    269931978_349500713206488_7479155436057769149_n.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 186
for people asking me if i got new 12v battery also, well i don`t know, i tried to look inside but under long plastic there is another one. I can not see battery unless i unscrew everything and i dont want to do that. I watched all youtube videos to see how to check the battery and none of them have this second peace of protection
I believe that second piece covers the new, larger "bioweapon defense" air filter. My 2020 MY just has an intake on the left half of that area. Looks like the 12 V battery has gotten harder to access. Hopefully it is the LiFePO4 one and will last a decade.