Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just took delivery M3RWD, humming sound when the car is parked at home - normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

theocguy

M3RWD - MSM/BLK/OD:03/22/Picked up 10/31/2022
Feb 11, 2022
Southern CA
EDIT: Sorry for the typo on the title - I should have my reading glasses on before I post msg. haha

Edit the content in below as well...

Hi,

Just took delivery today. Absolutely happy with the car. Either I am lucky to have a good quality of car or I am not picky. I thought the car I got does not have much of the problems like other mentioned, and as, there are some slightly misaligned but I don’t think they are too big deal.

However, I can hear some low humming sound coming from the front of the car when I sit in the driver side and the car is parked. Screen is on but I don’t have the music turned on. So, is this humming sound normal?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: eaglesrest
Shoe away the animals.

More seriously, these cars make a lot of distinct sounds from who-knows-what as they sit parked, as they actively cool down, go to sleep, wake up, preheat, etc...lots of noises, and not just fans. Nothing should be crazy loud or "whoa-is-this-broken?" sounding though.

Our old OG Model S has an almost entirely different set of sounds it makes, compared to our Model 3 with heat pump. It's all normal. Usually. Except when it's not. :)

If you can capture an audio track of the sound we can all chime in on whether our cars make it too. I haven't thought of "humping" for any of the sounds our Model 3 makes but I'm guessing your sound is normal nonetheless.

Note I would expect heatpump/octovalve and pre-heatpump Model 3's to make different sounds, at least from their heating and cooling systems.

Reactions: theocguy
...humping sound...
I hope this is a typo. The humping sound is the noise animals make when they have sex. Humming sound on the other hand does not have to be related to sex. That means the car does not need to "hump" with another car in order to make a humming sound.

As @tm1v2 mentioned, your can make noises (non-sexual sound) as expected while the car appears shutdown, asleep...

EDIT: Sorry for the typo on the title - I should have my reading glasses on before I post msg. haha

Edit the content in below as well...

Hi,

Just took delivery today. Absolutely happy with the car. Either I am lucky to have a good quality of car or I am not picky. I thought the car I got does not have much of the problems like other mentioned, and as, there are some slightly misaligned but I don’t think they are too big deal.

However, I can hear some low humming sound coming from the front of the car when I sit in the driver side and the car is parked. Screen is on but I don’t have the music turned on. So, is this humming sound normal?
Our 2018 M3 Long Rang RWD makes all kind of interesting noises when parked. Kind of entertaining!

turn off climate, that should quiet down most of the noise.

Some noise is expected, however once the car is locked and has been "off" for a few minutes you shouldn't hear anything else
I sit in my garage most evenings having a cold one and a smoke, my wife's M3 makes all kinds of noises when off and locked. "What's the muffled sound coming from the trunk?"