Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just took delivery of my MY - uncertain about panel gaps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I just took delivery of my MY the other day. Honestly happy with the car so far. There are a couple of minor things I noticed such as moisture in rear taillights, a couple of scuffs (?) on the paint, which I have scheduled an appointment. The one area I'm unsure of is what I'm posting below would be considered panel gaps - I've been watching videos and seeing pictures and I really can't tell if this falls under that. Appreciate any input before I bring my car in.

IMG_0065.jpg

InkedIMG_0067_LI.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

InkedIMG_0070_LI.jpg

InkedIMG_0071_LI.jpg

Reactions: SimFox3
Hi all, I just took delivery of my MY the other day. Honestly happy with the car so far. There are a couple of minor things I noticed such as moisture in rear taillights, a couple of scuffs (?) on the paint, which I have scheduled an appointment. The one area I'm unsure of is what I'm posting below would be considered panel gaps - I've been watching videos and seeing pictures and I really can't tell if this falls under that. Appreciate any input before I bring my car
Congrats! What's the VIN number, e.g: 255XXX ?

For the trunk and the frunk you can turn the bumpers on the inside to move the gaps a bit. This really helped on my trunk lid gaps and even some road noice elimination. You can go to service center too and they can do that adjustment quickly - usually.

That crazy gap can’t possibly be in spec. I’ve seen many complaints on TMC where Tesla states “in spec”, but what is that exactly? Is there a service manual or service bulletin that actually lists the specs for panel gaps? I mean if that info were available, and after measurement with a tool such as calipers, and they are clearly NOT within Tesla’s own spec, what can the SA possibly say? Of course whipping out calipers probably won’t make many “friends” at your pickup location if, like me, you will be using the service center there for any future visits. So maybe best to measure when you get home. But you’d think that unless there’s a policy to actively screw over their customers (which I can’t believe there would be), when presented with indisputable facts, the associate would do the right thing and schedule service to fix the issue.

Reactions: glide
That crazy gap can’t possibly be in spec. I’ve seen many complaints on TMC where Tesla states “in spec”, but what is that exactly? Is there a service manual or service bulletin that actually lists the specs for panel gaps? I mean if that info were available, and after measurement with a tool such as calipers, and they are clearly NOT within Tesla’s own spec, what can the SA possibly say? Of course whipping out calipers probably won’t make many “friends” at your pickup location if, like me, you will be using the service center there for any future visits. So maybe best to measure when you get home. But you’d think that unless there’s a policy to actively screw over their customers (which I can’t believe there would be), when presented with indisputable facts, the associate would do the right thing and schedule service to fix the issue.
There is a “spec” for panel gaps that is published and exists somewhere on the forum. It’s a matter of a few millimeters. Certainly not what OP is seeing with their hatch.

Here’s the link to the thread with all the MY service bulletins.

There is a “spec” for panel gaps that is published and exists somewhere on the forum. It’s a matter of a few millimeters. Certainly not what OP is seeing with their hatch.

Here’s the link to the thread with all the MY service bulletins.

I checked that link, and the only TSB related to gaps is for the charge port. I’ve been searching this site for two days and cannot find any published spec for body panel gaps. Someone on these forums must have found something.
Please post specs or a link to them.

I checked that link, and the only TSB related to gaps is for the charge port. I’ve been searching this site for two days and cannot find any published spec for body panel gaps. Someone on these forums must have found something.
Please post specs or a link to them.

In his breakdown of the MY, Sandy Munro says 4mm is spec and uses a gauge to measure deltas:

Reactions: ScottNY