Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just took my Model Y in for service... literally cannot wait to get my car back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was fortunate enough to get a loaner so I'm not complaining about that but that being said the loaner they gave me is a Tesla Model S 75 (RWD in CO in the middle of winter...?) stuck in chill mode. Not sure what year but it has the dual pane sunroof that opens so it must be a bit older. They didn't have time to clean the car so it's filthy and I mean barnyard pig pen filthy. Spilled coffee all over the center console, gunk in the little pocket near the doorhandles. Dirt everywhere. It's gross. If I had gotten this loaner from BMW back when I had a BMW I would have immediately walked back into the service dept and asked to speak with the fleet manager. But again I know Tesla isn't necessarily a luxury brand and they have some growing pains so I'll let it go.

For some reason, even though it has FSD like my car, it is calibrating. Is this something all loaners do at the beginning of a new loan out? Also the center screen keeps going black and coming back on. I told my SA and he had me do a soft reset but it didn't fix it. Said they could maybe get me into an enterprise if it keeps resetting while I have it.

Again not complaining, I'm very thankful I didn't need to take a 15 mile uber trip but have to admit, I got better loaners and service when I had a bottom of the barrel BMW several years ago and even when I had an out of warranty audi I got nice clean loaners when they did service on the car from the audi dealership. This Model S feels like it's falling apart. Literally, the creaks are unreal. I'm nervous this may be what I have to look forward to in my Model Y in 25k miles... My only hope is this is just an older (less put together as a result perhaps?) model that has been beat up over the years and isn't a reflection of how my Model Y ownership will go but we shall see.

Anyway, counting the days down to get my car back.

Also quick question for anyone with a Model S, the steering is like crazy light even in sport mode. Is that a hallmark of Model S? Also the car doesn't hold the way the Model Y does when you come to a stop even with creep mode not enabled. If I'm on a hill, even a slight one, the car will roll.

I was fortunate enough to get a loaner so I'm not complaining about that but that being said the loaner they gave me is a Tesla Model S 75 (RWD in CO in the middle of winter...?) stuck in chill mode. Not sure what year but it has the dual pane sunroof that opens so it must be a bit older. They didn't have time to clean the car so it's filthy and I mean barnyard pig pen filthy. Spilled coffee all over the center console, gunk in the little pocket near the doorhandles. Dirt everywhere. It's gross. If I had gotten this loaner from BMW back when I had a BMW I would have immediately walked back into the service dept and asked to speak with the fleet manager. But again I know Tesla isn't necessarily a luxury brand and they have some growing pains so I'll let it go.

For some reason, even though it has FSD like my car, it is calibrating. Is this something all loaners do at the beginning of a new loan out? Also the center screen keeps going black and coming back on. I told my SA and he had me do a soft reset but it didn't fix it. Said they could maybe get me into an enterprise if it keeps resetting while I have it.

Again not complaining, I'm very thankful I didn't need to take a 15 mile uber trip but have to admit, I got better loaners and service when I had a bottom of the barrel BMW several years ago and even when I had an out of warranty audi I got nice clean loaners when they did service on the car from the audi dealership. This Model S feels like it's falling apart. Literally, the creaks are unreal. I'm nervous this may be what I have to look forward to in my Model Y in 25k miles... My only hope is this is just an older (less put together as a result perhaps?) model that has been beat up over the years and isn't a reflection of how my Model Y ownership will go but we shall see.

Anyway, counting the days down to get my car back.

Also quick question for anyone with a Model S, the steering is like crazy light even in sport mode. Is that a hallmark of Model S? Also the car doesn't hold the way the Model Y does when you come to a stop even with creep mode not enabled. If I'm on a hill, even a slight one, the car will roll.
I was provided with a similar (2016?, Model S 75 RWD, 60k miles) when I had my Model Y serviced in July. Same issues: dirty floor mats, windows. Mud in the rear hatch floor covering. I had the S for a week, even got used to the way the Autopilot stalk control operated (very archaic compared to my MY.) Although the S was in Chill Mode (speed limited to 85 MPH) I did appreciate the push sensation from the powerful rear drive unit at typical suburban street speeds. The S loaner did not have air suspension as far as I could tell. The ride was much smoother and better controlled than my MY when driven on rough sections of the local roads. I though the S was a good car, just not right for my needs. Driving the S reminded me of driving a large German sedan, especially the oversized hard surface steering wheel.

I was provided with a similar (2016?, Model S 75 RWD, 60k miles) when I had my Model Y serviced in July. Same issues: dirty floor mats, windows. Mud in the rear hatch floor covering. I had the S for a week, even got used to the way the Autopilot stalk control operated (very archaic compared to my MY.) Although the S was in Chill Mode (speed limited to 85 MPH) I did appreciate the push sensation from the powerful rear drive unit at typical suburban street speeds. The S loaner did not have air suspension as far as I could tell. The ride was much smoother and better controlled than my MY when driven on rough sections of the local roads. I though the S was a good car, just not right for my needs. Driving the S reminded me of driving a large German sedan, especially the oversized hard surface steering wheel.
Yeah mine doesn't have air suspension either. I found the stock suspension to be worse. I really do believe the MYP got a slightly different suspension recently because my car is SO smooth. Even for the few days I had the 21" uberturbines I had no issues. It was way smoother than either of my previous cars. The Model S isn't bad by any means but I do feel a little more jiggled than I do when driving the same roads in my MY.

I don't really mind the single rear motor. At least for the moment there isn't any snow on the ground but depending on how long they take to fix things I believe we're getting snow in a few days here in CO so well see how it goes. Chill mode is fine. I honestly didn't notice until midway through the drive when I went to try to pass someone and the difference in speed between 50% of the pedal and 100% was basically nothing. But otherwise for regular city driving chill mode is good enough. Certainly miss the passing power of my MY though haha.

Last edited:
Model S creaks are par for the course. At least they are for my 2013 - which has about 75K on the odometer.

Light steering - yes - definitely an S hallmark. I felt much more in tune with the M3 steering when I test drove one of those. The steering effort on the M3 was nicely balanced. Reminded me of the BMW 3 Series I had way back when. Meaning, a compliment to the M3.

Here's a moo to your barnyard filthy loaner. As you note, you're lucky your SC has one to offer. I guess $10 for a car wash is too much for Elon's business model.

In Northern California you'd sooner see a live T-Rex than a Tesla loaner.

• Funny
Reactions: kadify
Model S creaks are par for the course. At least they are for my 2013 - which has about 75K on the odometer.

Light steering - yes - definitely an S hallmark. I felt much more in tune with the M3 steering when I test drove one of those. The steering effort on the M3 was nicely balanced. Reminded me of the BMW 3 Series I had way back when. Meaning, a compliment to the M3.

Here's a moo to your barnyard filthy loaner. As you note, you're lucky your SC has one to offer. I guess $10 for a car wash is too much for Elon's business model.

In Northern California you'd sooner see a live T-Rex than a Tesla loaner.
I test drove a 2020 model S performance before ordering my Y and don't remember the steering being this light. It really shocked me when I got in this car.

I wonder why Tesla has such a shortage of loaners. Do they just preference selling all cars they produce over holding a few hundred in their loaner fleet maybe?

I had a X loaner and noticed a lot of the same things. The steering was light, hold didn't really hold, there were a lot of rattles, and the car was filthy.

Those doors were nice, it was roomy, and Model XMas was cool, though. I was still really happy to get the Y back.

I had a X loaner and noticed a lot of the same things. The steering was light, hold didn't really hold, there were a lot of rattles, and the car was filthy.

Those doors were nice, it was roomy, and Model XMas was cool, though. I was still really happy to get the Y back.
Why doesn't Tesla invest in a couple car washers? Or even just find a local carwash and take each car there after returning.

And speaking of it, who are these people spilling coffee and doing all sorts of other stuff in these loaners? Tesla's aren't cheap. You'd think the people getting loaners would have a little more respect for the loaners they get handed. Especially considering Tesla doesn't have many.

Why doesn't Tesla invest in a couple car washers? Or even just find a local carwash and take each car there after returning.

And speaking of it, who are these people spilling coffee and doing all sorts of other stuff in these loaners? Tesla's aren't cheap. You'd think the people getting loaners would have a little more respect for the loaners they get handed. Especially considering Tesla doesn't have many.
That's what I was kind of wondering. We all have needed these loaners over the years, regardless whether it was a Tesla BMW MB etc

You'd figure the Tesla crowd would have enough respect to keep things nice for the next guy.

The local Tesla SC is down the block from a nice car wash. Surely someone named Musk has enough pocket change to approve the SC's opening some kind of corporate account to get the cars cleaned.

That's what I was kind of wondering. We all have needed these loaners over the years, regardless whether it was a Tesla BMW MB etc

You'd figure the Tesla crowd would have enough respect to keep things nice for the next guy.

The local Tesla SC is down the block from a nice car wash. Surely someone named Musk has enough pocket change to approve the SC's opening some kind of corporate account to get the cars cleaned.
It really is wild the state the cars seem to be in. That being said who knows maybe the MB, BMW, audi loaners come back in similar state and you just don't notice since they are cleaned prior to being lent out again.

I don't think Tesla's SC is meant to be a profit center. All other OEMs rely on their SCs to generate profit. This is why their dealers are loathe to sell EVs.

It really is wild the state the cars seem to be in. That being said who knows maybe the MB, BMW, audi loaners come back in similar state and you just don't notice since they are cleaned prior to being lent out again.