Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just upgraded from a 2018 LR to a 2021 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just my initial thoughts here... I ordered my first Model 3 on March 31, 2016 and received it in February 2018. Just got my new M3P today, same day I ordered my very first Tesla 5 years later :)

Big differences:

* Speed and performance ... The M3P is nutty
* Seats in the 2021 M3P are WAY plusher than my 2018 seats, both front and back
* Headlights are better on the 2021 car
* Suspension somehow feels softer on the 2021 M3P, wasn't expecting this at all (could also be the newer seats)
* Overall ride is noticeably quieter on the 2021 vs. the 2018. Significantly less air/tire noise which I also didn't expect since the new car has the PZero tires and Uberturbine wheels
* Panel gaps are more consistent on my 2018 (go figure)
* UI is different; my 2018 had HW 2.5 and didn't display stuff like stop signs and trash cans etc.
* Enhanced autopilot on my 2018 is more capable (also go figure). I was surprised the "new" autopilot doesn't do as much, probably trying to get me to upgrade to the FSD
* Power trunk! Not sure why I like this one so much

Not so big differences:

* Center console redesign, not sure if I like the newer one better or not yet
* I got an error no matter what USB drive I used in my 2018 that said it was dropping video, the new one came with a USB drive already installed (no errors yet)
* Black trim looks pretty awesome on the 2021 car, the chrome on my old car looks... well old.

That's it for now. I love the new car and plan to keep it all stock for now.

Just my initial thoughts here... I ordered my first Model 3 on March 31, 2016 and received it in February 2018. Just got my new M3P today, same day I ordered my very first Tesla 5 years later :)

Big differences:

* Suspension somehow feels softer on the 2021 M3P, wasn't expecting this at all (could also be the newer seats)
* Overall ride is noticeably quieter on the 2021 vs. the 2018. Significantly less air/tire noise which I also didn't expect since the new car has the PZero tires and Uberturbine wheels
* UI is different; my 2018 had HW 2.5 and didn't display stuff like stop signs and trash cans etc.
* Enhanced autopilot on my 2018 is more capable (also go figure). I was surprised the "new" autopilot doesn't do as much, probably trying to get me to upgrade to the FSD

Not so big differences:

* I got an error no matter what USB drive I used in my 2018 that said it was dropping video, the new one came with a USB drive already installed (no errors yet)
* Black trim looks pretty awesome on the 2021 car, the chrome on my old car looks... well old.

enhanced autopilot is like 90% the same as FSD. Here are the differences (its not surprising at all that "enhanced autopilot" is more capable than "autopilot"

Here is the link on teslas website:

For those that dont like to click the links, here is the relevant text:
====================================

Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability Features​

Autopilot is a suite of driver assistance features that can be purchased before you buy your car or after it’s been delivered, and brings new functionality to your Tesla that makes driving safer and less stressful. Available packages include:

Autopilot​

• Traffic-Aware Cruise Control: Matches the speed of your car to that of the surrounding traffic
  • Autosteer: Assists in steering within a clearly marked lane, and uses traffic-aware cruise control
(this is all that "autopilot" is)

Full Self-Driving Capability​

• Navigate on Autopilot (Beta): Actively guides your car from a highway’s on-ramp to off-ramp, including suggesting lane changes, navigating interchanges, automatically engaging the turn signal and taking the correct exit
  • Auto Lane Change: Assists in moving to an adjacent lane on the highway when Autosteer is engaged
  • Autopark: Helps automatically parallel or perpendicular park your car, with a single touch
  • Summon: Moves your car in and out of a tight space using the mobile app or key
  • Smart Summon: Your car will navigate more complex environments and parking spaces, maneuvering around objects as necessary to come find you in a parking lot.
  • Traffic and Stop Sign Control (Beta): Identifies stop signs and traffic lights and automatically slows your car to a stop on approach, with your active supervision
  • Upcoming:
    • Autosteer on city streets
(the only current difference between FSD and enhanced autopilot, is "traffic and stop sign control (beta))". Enhanced autopilot has everything else on this list. This is why your enhanced autopilot car is more capable than a car with autopilot only.

Reactions: El joe
good summary. more of a 2018 vs 2021 thread compared to a LR vs P. IIRC, 2019 is the year they made some improvements to wind noise that really made a difference. Apparently the 2021 window changes didn't do much over say a 2020 version for noise.

The launch speed of the P is just wild. Definitely a good demo trick.

What is 'lifetime connectivity?'

Model 3s ordered before July 1 2018 got premium connectivity for the life of the car- everyone else has to pay for it after their free trial is up.

Curious if Tesla will offer EAP in the states like theybsre doing for Europe and China (think it was those too?). I would spend an extra 4k for it

They did until early 2019.

The take take on FSD is much higher in the US though- the fact it isn't overseas is the only reason they brought EAP back for those places.... and with the FSD subscription coming soon to the US it's incredibly unlikely you'd see EAP here again

I plan on keeping my 2018 RWD as long as possible for two reasons - lifetime connectivity and EAP. Tesla STILL insists on wanting to charge me thousands of dollars to upgrade to FSD, and all I can do is laugh!
Same. Got a LR AWD used with both features and have no desire to pay $5k for FSD with so little extra offered or $10k on a future Cybertruck or other Tesla. Love having these on my Model 3.

So I cannot use like the radio, maps, netflix or youtube unless i bluetooth through my phone or pay the fee?

Details are here:

Maps still work without premium, but no satellite view, and no live traffic view (traffic is still used behind scenes for routing decisions)

All the streaming media stuff and web browser you need premium or you need to use your phone as a wifi hot spot to the car. (and you have to manually connect the wifi each time you put the car in drive)

So I cannot use like the radio, maps, netflix or youtube unless i bluetooth through my phone or pay the fee?
I think that is the case but someone else will need to answer for sure as my Model S does have premium lifetime connectivity.

But even with paying the $10 monthly fee, at least it is unlimited data so no concern about streaming caps to my knowledge. Unless you have unlimited data plan with your phone, it might be cheaper to pay the $10 per month.

Reactions: OUengineer
Details are here:

Maps still work without premium, but no satellite view, and no live traffic view (traffic is still used behind scenes for routing decisions)

All the streaming media stuff and web browser you need premium or you need to use your phone as a wifi hot spot to the car. (and you have to manually connect the wifi each time you put the car in drive)
So if I buy a used 2018 model 3 (December build) it should have lifetime connectivity or is it per owner?

So if I buy a used 2018 model 3 (December build) it should have lifetime connectivity or is it per owner?

Build is irrelevant- when it was ordered is the cut-off. (ordered, not delivered). For example mine is an august 2018 build date, but was ordered late June.

Orders before July 1 2018 get lifetime.... and it will transfer with private-party sales.

If car was ordered after that date, or if buying the used car FROM Tesla (who can remove features anytime ownership passes back to them), no lifetime connectivity.

Big differences:

Not so big differences:

Congrats on a great new car! Let us know when you start tuning it up. That is for sure half the fun.

Big differences:

Not so big differences:

I've had my '21 M3P since January. I got a 3 month FSD trial which I hate--lane changes are too frequent and not appropriate most of the time (in regular, not mad max mode), and it doesn't really work on local roads anyway. So I turned off Nav on autopilot. I tried smart summon once (carrying a big box at a strip mall) and the car ended up blocking the entire lane. I have a 30 mile mostly HW commute and I'll just use the regular AP if I want to shut my brain off, or just the ACC so I can change lanes when I want. Loving the car, though, congrats on your purchase!