Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just venting over “first scratch”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update... With Amazon same day delivery, I procured myself a nice gray Sharpie marker. Removed the black and applied the gray. Good as new(ish)! Well not good as new, but not worth $125 to fix IMHO. Maybe next rash.

Tim

IMG_2301.jpeg
64200363449__1817E0C9-370A-4312-8A2E-12301721E151.jpeg

I don’t think I have “curbed a wheel” in at least 20 years. I was quickly moving my car because my painter needed to get to my garage door, and I grazed the curb in front of my house. Just venting to people who can understand, especially being one of those “I never curbed a wheel” guys, well up until just now. Ugh!

That‘s a super minor fix. Call one of those mobile wheel repair guys and $90 (or probably less since you’re in TX) and 20 min later you’ll be almost good as new.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Decided I'm going to have Tesla swap it out for a new wheel. I'll then take the old wheel for repair, to keep as a spare. That way, if and when it happens again, I'll be able to swap out a damaged wheel and can drop it off at the repair shop without leaving my whole car. Probably not the most affordable option, but it'll afford me some piece of mind.

Tim

Decided I'm going to have Tesla swap it out for a new wheel. I'll then take the old wheel for repair, to keep as a spare. That way, if and when it happens again, I'll be able to swap out a damaged wheel and can drop it off at the repair shop without leaving my whole car. Probably not the most affordable option, but it'll afford me some piece of mind.

Tim

All kidding aside, the temp fix looks good enough to just leave it. No one will notice it but you, or, as my wife always ends up telling me "until you tell them look at this".

All kidding aside, the temp fix looks good enough to just leave it. No one will notice it but you, or, as my wife always ends up telling me "until you tell them look at this".

Hey thanks for that. Over the past few days I've wandered by the passenger side to see if it's really noticeable. I have to get down on my knee close to the wheel to spot it, so your Wife is absolutely correct! I really just need to let it go, but I'm so OCD I keep thinking about it.

Tim

Hey thanks for that. Over the past few days I've wandered by the passenger side to see if it's really noticeable. I have to get down on my knee close to the wheel to spot it, so your Wife is absolutely correct! I really just need to let it go, but I'm so OCD I keep thinking about it.

Tim

I get that way about stuff too, which is why she is always telling me "no one will notice X but you, or until you tell them "look at this XXX!" The only reason I didnt do anything with the curb rash on my zero g wheels, is I have already replaced one of those because I drove over a screw (large one) that damaged both tire and rim, so I have already replaced one of those rims to the tune of like $780 for the rim.

How it looks with the camera zoomed in there tells me that no one will notice it but you... but its really easy for me to give someone else that advice, but not easy for me to apply it to myself (lmao).

Tim
How long are you planning on keeping the car? It could be the start of a good reason to upgrade to a newer 3P in a couple of years 😁

• Funny
Be happy you didn't attempt to miss a pothole only to hit the damn thing. I pulled over to check for damage and couldn't see anything, thinking I'm in the clear I make it home only for the tpms saying low pressure. Topped the tire off only for it to lose 24psi overnight.

Btw a replacement rim and tire is $1,500. Needless to say, I'm waiting for Titan 7s in a 19".

Be happy you didn't attempt to miss a pothole only to hit the damn thing. I pulled over to check for damage and couldn't see anything, thinking I'm in the clear I make it home only for the tpms saying low pressure. Topped the tire off only for it to lose 24psi overnight.

Btw a replacement rim and tire is $1,500. Needless to say, I'm waiting for Titan 7s in a 19".

$1,500? Holy crap, I was expecting a wheel to be in the $600-700 dollar range. That's insane!

Tim