Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just venting ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love the MS I got my wife (2015, AP1, S60 - non-upgradeable).
Getting AP1 was a considered risk, knowing AP2 was out and would eclipse it at some point. No problem there.
Knew AP2 would get all the love, so was not expecting much in the way of software updates - though a useful nav would be good.

But totally did not expect the resale value of my S60 to get devastated long before M3 was released.

First S60 is cancelled.
Then S75 price is dropped to S60 levels.
Then the S60 - S75 upgrade price is dropped to a few $K.
Now Supercharging is retro-actively re-applied to MS, and people going forward will be able to get it by referral. The last holdout add-value my S60 had ...

All of this is good for MS in general, good for S sales prior to M3 I hope.

But boy it's frustrating to be at the bottom of the pile :(

Still wife loves the car, looks great, drives great and no gas.

I know, get over yourself - but hey, seems like the 'continuously upgradeable' car got some real downgrades on it's value this year through well intentioned actions for those committing to new purchases.

Shame on Tesla for making improvements to cars as time goes on, devaluing every other owner's cars. In other news im mad at Tim Cook for making my iPhone 6S useless by introducing the iPhone 7.

Sarcasm aside, yes it is frustrating. But with all consumer goods, its an inevitability. I too bought the Model S 60 1 month before it was discontinued and for what i paid for a 60, i could've gotten a 75. But bygones be bygones, i sucked up $2k to upgrade and now its a 75 and i'm fine with it. My cabin interior is the same basically as a 100D and the range is more than adequate for me.

Keep in mind, most buyers are still buying ICE cars.

Tesla may be making new cars more desirable than your car - but the buyers are still going to be cross shopping with BMW, Audi, etc. That will likely limit the amount of value lost.

Tesla resale value is holding up better than most luxury cars, and they are the only ones who keep older cars up to date at all.

I can empathize where you are coming from. However look at it this way,
- Every car depreciates
- Your S60 still has better depreciation than similar cars
- Over a long period of ownership, these ripples don't matter anyway.

When I got my car, I figured at the end of 8 years, the total ownership cost would be more like a low end BMW 5 series (I got a 70D).
So, no regrets!

It's really not your configuration. Someone with a P85+ can say the same thing, someone like me with an S85 that missed out on AP can say the same thing, and people buying these cars now will be saying the same thing too... that's the just the nature of buying vehicles in this price range. They are not investments but depreciating assets, and significantly depreciating ones at that. Yes, some may lose more than others but if you enjoy and plan to keep your car for a long time, like I do, you've really not lost anything, but have gained a better quality of life by driving a Tesla. So perhaps look at it that way?

And if you bought TSLA in addition to your vehicle some time ago, it sure helps with the depreciating TESLA.

Reactions: ev-now and mblakele
I don't understand why these cars don't hold their value even better than they do. I bought my car new 14 months ago and currently in the process of selling it. I have kept great care of it and it looks new inside and out. The buyer is getting a fantastic deal and I'm happy for him. If I ever buy a tesla again I will most likely buy a used one. Other than missing new features there is very little to go wrong. You don't have to worry about missed oil changes or carbon buildup in cylinders or cracked heads or oil leaks or rusted exhaust etc etc. Perhaps the used car market will eventually figure this out.

Reactions: croman
I don't understand why these cars don't hold their value even better than they do. I bought my car new 14 months ago and currently in the process of selling it. I have kept great care of it and it looks new inside and out. The buyer is getting a fantastic deal and I'm happy for him. If I ever buy a tesla again I will most likely buy a used one. Other than missing new features there is very little to go wrong. You don't have to worry about missed oil changes or carbon buildup in cylinders or cracked heads or oil leaks or rusted exhaust etc etc. Perhaps the used car market will eventually figure this out.
I agree with you as there is so much less that can go wrong as there are way less moving parts as compared to an ICE.

You actually are going to loose less, on a percentage basis, than those who purchased fully optioned models.

Tesla has greatly inproved their offerings since you purchased your 60, and that will show up in lower used car values, but it will be nothing in comparison to what will happen to the value of used gas and diesel cars when the market place converts to electric vehicles. Your used Tesla will have far better resale than any of those gas hogs.

One way to beat the system is to realize that you drive a fantastic car, with unlimited supercharger access for life. Never sell it. You will have reasonable maintenance and have a wonderful car to drive for many years to come.

Like the older, aluminum bodied land rovers, they will run and run for decades. No rust, electric motors, simple single speed transmission, regenerative braking will make your pads last far longer than for ICE cars.

Enjoy what you have, and don't get caught up is your resale value or all the new wiz-bang options on the latest offerings.

Tesla...it drives like no other.

Honestly, the "bottom" S60 is generally the best deal given the depreciation curve (a bit less steap compared to the higher end models). I bought my CPO P85+ last Summer and it had lost half its value. Since that time, the value has continued to plummet in real dollars (In excess of $1000 month) - a more shallow curve than the prior three years, but it is a stinger for sure.

Reactions: Trunk Gap
I think that with all this time during which you got amazing AP1 functionality (and that you are still getting way better AP than I have with my wonderful upgradeable AP2 60, nee 75), should be a pretty great compensation.

Later this year, I'm going to be "crushed" when the MS gets a major refresh with all kinds of cool stuff including rapid SC, lots more luxury features, etc., and probably even with AP sensors that are really up to the task of FSD/EAP/etc.; however, I will have already have had a terrific car that is now a 75 for about 60 price for nearly a year. And did I mention it is still as gorgeous and comfortable as it was on day zero?

Teslas are still "cars," and as such, you need to consider them nearly worthless the moment you drive away from the dealership. The exceptional resale value that is still pretty much intact is just a bonus, and it is still not bad for Tesla MSs.

Oh, and I got the tax credit in a year when I really, really, really needed it!

You could have a P90D ludicrous that you bought for 130k and can't sell it for 80k less than a year later. I'm very happy with the depreciation of my 70. Take what I paid and subtract the 10k in rebates, savings in gas, and sheer joy of driving a Tesla everyday I can still pretty much break even on my loan. But I have no reason to sell my car. The only thing that will get me to sell is when I can go to sleep while the car drives me and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Great perspectives. Like I said - just venting.

My frustration is not in the inevitable hardware and functional changes, but in a series of well-intentioned business decisions outside of the technology.

Of course, with the exception of the non-upgradable range which is lower than will probably be available for M3 these decisions do affect the rest of the fleet too.

If the market moves as fast as it appears, then a used EV (of any variety) will outshine an ICE investment.

And as SageBrush observes, what is the value of a car I could not prize away from my wife (for my use, let alone to sell)? Priceless I guess.

Wish I did more than 8 miles per day - cannot justify an MS (or even an M3) until the ICE gives out unfortunately ...

I think that you may be able to either buy a Tesla or an after market battery upgrade in the future that would be very reasonable. As battery costs go down and the longevity of the platform becomes clear, it seems like it should be an attractive market for someone to start. Everything above the "skateboard " could also potentially be upgraded as tech prices drop. There could end up being a very vibrant aftermarket for Tesla upgrades. Maybe they will be the new Jeeps.

You may end up with a S150 or S200 someday without a bank breaking investment. Or, those types of options could make your used S60 more attractive to those purchasing when you finally sell it.