Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just want to say...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

davidmc

May 20, 2019
Leicester
What a fantastic community you all are :D

@Roy W. kindly popped down to test his car on my charger at work to see if we could repeat a problem I’m having with my charger/car - Huge thanks Roy and it was a great pleasure to meet you.

Also for all the other help you all give on this forum. It has been greatly helpful and I really appreciate all the help :)

Ps sorry it wasn’t a Golden globe speech - Ricky Gervais told me I wasn’t allowed to go on!

What a fantastic community you all are :D

@Roy W. kindly popped down to test his car on my charger at work to see if we could repeat a problem I’m having with my charger/car - Huge thanks Roy and it was a great pleasure to meet you.

Also for all the other help you all give on this forum. It has been greatly helpful and I really appreciate all the help :)

Ps sorry it wasn’t a Golden globe speech - Ricky Gervais told me I wasn’t allowed to go on!
Thanks @davidmc it really was no trouble.
Let me know if I can try and help again in the future.

Have you tried lowering the charge at that charge point in the car. I was having similar trouble at home and reduced the charging rate and the problem was solved.
From S Handbook "The current automatically sets to the maximum current available from the attached charge cable, unless it was previously reduced to a lower level. If needed, touch - or + to change the current (for example, you may want to reduce the current if you are concerned about overloading a domestic wiring circuit shared by other equipment). It is not possible to set the charging current to a level that exceeds the maximum available from the attached charge cable. When you change the current, Model S remembers the location. If you charge at the same location, you do not need to change it again. Note: If Model S automatically reduced the current at a charging location because of fluctuations in input power (see the note in Charging Status on page 164), Tesla recommends charging at the lower current until the underlying problem is resolved and the charging location can provide consistent power."

Reactions: davidmc
Have you tried lowering the charge at that charge point in the car. I was having similar trouble at home and reduced the charging rate and the problem was solved.
From S Handbook "The current automatically sets to the maximum current available from the attached charge cable, unless it was previously reduced to a lower level. If needed, touch - or + to change the current (for example, you may want to reduce the current if you are concerned about overloading a domestic wiring circuit shared by other equipment). It is not possible to set the charging current to a level that exceeds the maximum available from the attached charge cable. When you change the current, Model S remembers the location. If you charge at the same location, you do not need to change it again. Note: If Model S automatically reduced the current at a charging location because of fluctuations in input power (see the note in Charging Status on page 164), Tesla recommends charging at the lower current until the underlying problem is resolved and the charging location can provide consistent power."
Will try this next time, thx for the tip :)

I will monitor my charging tomorrow and see if it trips again and will then try this approach

I still think the biggest variable here is the use of other electrical equipment in the garage while you’re charging.

If you still get random tripping, it might be worth asking them to leave the charger powered overnight or at a weekend, and see if it still trips when nobody is at work in the garage.

Reactions: davidmc
I still think the biggest variable here is the use of other electrical equipment in the garage while you’re charging.

If you still get random tripping, it might be worth asking them to leave the charger powered overnight or at a weekend, and see if it still trips when nobody is at work in the garage.
Very true, will ask them to monitor what they use or find out when they are not in and try then

Reactions: Roy W.