Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

just what is configuration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After several miscarriages of software downloads I asked service what might be wrong. The answer while probably correct is mystifying to me.
Basically, they say: each car has different configurations, and software that is sent out isn't always intended for the makeup of a certain car.

So 2021 Plaid comes with 19 or 21-inch wheels. Other than that can we agree that seat color isn't software inhibiting? wtf do they mean by different configurations?
I think it implies different hardware was used as it became available in the build. The service tech denied this ( evidently he has been led astray) As I see no other possible explanation.
So I am thinking I have a bastard child car that has some assortment of hardware that does not meet software parameters.
where have I gone wrong?

Currently for the S there are at least 2 software versions. One has the Full Self Driving Beta if you have been given permission to use this by completing the Tesla safety score. Another version has more new features, but does not contain the FSD Beta. Occasionally, they release a version that contains specific features and fixes for the newest 2021+ cars, or for Model 3 and Y cars, etc. Usually, they try to keep different software version for the same model to a minimum. Typically, Tesla will send out a standard software version to all models (except FSD Beta cars). This software will determine the model and features and only install the applicable software intended to be installed dependent on the year, model and features of the car as it is being installed. My experience is that sometimes the install process does not update things as intended, and features and functions can either stop working, or not work as intended until Tesla fixes the issue in a future software release. Sometimes the updates appear to screw some things up, but they start working days after the update as the update "settles in" and stabilizes. Tesla obviously doesn't test the software very well before releasing it, and it is difficult to predict what the result of an update will be.

The Plaids have many different and new components. The horizontal screen is new to the S and different from all other Teslas because the others do not also have the separate dash screen. The video processor is different, the audio components are new. The heating system is new. The vents and most all the controls are new. Tesla has had to write new code to control all these things. It is buggy.

I've had three different software versions try to install and fail at 30 %. There are a handful of software versions that are intended for the Plaid, these are what I am talking about.
Your install should not be failing. They should be able to look at the install log and see exactly what the issue is, but that may take Tesla Corporate IT folks, and not your local dealership. It should all be able to be done remotely, unless there is defective memory or a module.