Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Justifying the ever-rising sticker price of our Model S (with shameless plug)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

zdre

40kWh Model S, Model 3LR
Jan 18, 2010
St. Louis
When I reserved a year ago, I was planning on getting the 40kWh Model S without any options. When options were announced, I had to have the Tech package. The the sticker price only went up from there. After the test drive, I had to have the air suspension and my wife insisted on getting the Sunroof. The extra service fee added another $1,900. Recently, I found out that memory was not included with the textile seats. I had already accepted that the fabric seats would not be heated, but the looming price increase made us somehow justify upgrading to leather to get memory and heated seats. We are now looking at spending over $10,000 above what was originally planned. I try to rationalize the purchase every day, but I know that the decision to purchase would be an emotional one.

We got our time-to-configure email two months ago, which was earlier than I expected, since the delivery estimate has been around March. I hoped to have the specs and EPA estimates for the 40kWh before finalizing, but now I don't think that's going to happen without having to pay the price increase.

We decided that we needed to raise some extra funds to justify the purchase. I am selling some unused things on ebay and craigslist that I have been wanting to get rid of for a while. My wife is also trying to raise some Tesla funds for me. She is a jewelry designer, but she left her full-time job to take care of our newborn daughter almost a year ago. She now works on her own fine jewelry line at home. She up-cycles antique and vintage jewelry using reclaimed materials whenever possible. Each piece is unique and one-of-a-kind.

So, if you are looking for a holiday gift for your special someone, please consider purchasing one of her hand-made pieces to support my Tesla addiction :). They are available here. PM me for the TMC discount.

stltoday300.jpgorange300.jpg

Thanks to those who ordered! We feel a bit better about ordering a car that's 3 times more expensive than the cars we have now.
I'm also considering skipping the pano roof because of the recent report of it making the car cold in cold weather.
Air suspension may also get cut from the options list. I just wish I could test drive with spring suspension to compare.

Thanks to those who ordered! We feel a bit better about ordering a car that's 3 times more expensive than the cars we have now.
I'm also considering skipping the pano roof because of the recent report of it making the car cold in cold weather.
Air suspension may also get cut from the options list. I just wish I could test drive with spring suspension to compare.

The cold weather problem was found to happen only when the defroster is on. Note that you really need the pano roof if adults are going to sit in the back.

We ended up finalizing on the last day before the price increase went into effect.
We decided not to get air suspension to cut the cost, but keep the pano roof after sitting in a car without one and having my hair touch on the headliner.
Although I'm still shocked to see the final price, I have to have to feed my Tesla addiction :). My wife is also becoming very interested and enthusiastic about the car.

The final configuration is:
40kWh, White, Pano roof, Tech Package, Grey Leather, Lacewood, Standard Suspension

We ended up finalizing on the last day before the price increase went into effect.
We decided not to get air suspension to cut the cost, but keep the pano roof after sitting in a car without one and having my hair touch on the headliner.
Although I'm still shocked to see the final price, I have to have to feed my Tesla addiction :). My wife is also becoming very interested and enthusiastic about the car.

The final configuration is:
40kWh, White, Pano roof, Tech Package, Grey Leather, Lacewood, Standard Suspension

Congrats!!! I know you have finalized and are happy with your decision but I thought I'd reply for any others that are having second thoughts or sticker shock!!!! Or for those that have yet to place a reservation...

The problem with an online configuration was that you couldn't see or try anything! (I still very infrequently buy clothes online for the same reason!).

1. battery pack: depends on your commute. Recommend 60kw at least b/c of twin chargers and supercharger capable. Also (at least in California) the $2500 state rebate ONLY applies to 60kw and 85kw batteries...NOT the 40kw. Also, this is a rebate where they mail you a physical check for $2500. This is NOT a tax credit (like the federal tax credit of $7500). This $2500 check effectively makes this a $7500 battery upgrade rather than a $10000 upgrade).
2. Performance: only for true off the line speed hounds. Great comparison numbers posted elsewhere comparing performance versus not and the real diff seems to be 0-30 mph. Rolling acceleration (like passing on freeways) is otherwise fairly close!
3. wheels: 19". Cheaper...as are the tires...AND are lighter (possibly better range!).
4. color: the white and black look great! The darker metallic paints look black anyways! (I have a blue and everyone keeps saying its black! Summertime that will change I'm sure...).
5. tech package: again a prob of online configuration and also of tesla not fully disclosing all the info. What won't work w/o the teck package. This was the one I struggled the most with! In the end...this car is a technological leap ahead versus current available vehicles...so I ended up going with it. Not sure about this one though....only time will tell (when someone gets it w/o tech package and reports back to us!).
6. Premium Sound: PASS! They aren't using a high end name brand like other luxury automakers. Several posts on the sound suggest this is an easy pass!).
7. Pano roof. Preference I suppose (which I wouldn't have thought until I saw all the posts of people saying they don't like it!). I LOVE it. Rear passengers LOVE it. I also live in sunny so cal :). Also, this was another one that is unique to Tesla. It's the biggest sunroof available in a sedan....
8. Leather seats: gotta have em! It's a luxury car...plus heated seats ...plus memory option. Remember also that in range mode (not range charging) the climate control is limited and the seat heaters are used to help warm up the car (and the passenger!). Your driving range NOT really effected by seat heaters but IS with cabin heating. Not having the heated seats is going to cost you range.
9. Body armor: MUCH cheaper after market (and is a full wrap w/o visible lines....according to other posts (I didn't get it).
10. Rear facing seats: family dependent.
11. Parcel shelf: save the money (or not...it's only $250). Not super useful in My opinion. Only hides what's in trunk...which you could also use the hidden footwell in trunk for. (That's what I do...).
12. HPWC: no need! Will charge you up in about 5 hours. 240V 40A will do it in about 7 hours (for a P85). Overnight there's no difference b/w 5 and 7!!!!
13. Twin chargers /supercharging: I would say yes as this is the future of "refueling" for EV's.
14. Active air suspension: AMAZING ride. Also lowers at higher speeds to improve handling and aerodynamics (ie. range!!!). Again another problem of not being able to try before you buy. Would love to see how it drives w/o it....

Final cost with above config is $73,820 (60kw non perf).
Again the 2 wildcards are the tech package and the air suspension for me (b/c not knowing what the car would be like w/o them...). Take those out and your cost is $68570. The difference is 5k over 5 years = about $90 month more.

Id consider the $73820 config to be the best config for those trying to save a few bucks while not compromising to the point that you are buying a stripped down vehicle just to join the MS club.

Anyone else have some input/regrets to pass along to FUTURE model S owners?

Just so you know...I got the P85, metallic blue, 21" wheels (grey), tech pack, prem sound, pano roof, leather seats, active air).
My biggest regret was the sound package....for $950 I could have gotten some killer aftermarket speakers! (And with the MS you don't need/can't buy a new stereo! Just need new speakers!).

Congrats!!! I know you have finalized and are happy with your decision but I thought I'd reply for any others that are having second thoughts or sticker shock!!!! Or for those that have yet to place a reservation...

The problem with an online configuration was that you couldn't see or try anything! (I still very infrequently buy clothes online for the same reason!).

1. battery pack: depends on your commute. Recommend 60kw at least b/c of twin chargers and supercharger capable. Also (at least in California) the $2500 state rebate ONLY applies to 60kw and 85kw batteries...NOT the 40kw. Also, this is a rebate where they mail you a physical check for $2500. This is NOT a tax credit (like the federal tax credit of $7500). This $2500 check effectively makes this a $7500 battery upgrade rather than a $10000 upgrade).
2. Performance: only for true off the line speed hounds. Great comparison numbers posted elsewhere comparing performance versus not and the real diff seems to be 0-30 mph. Rolling acceleration (like passing on freeways) is otherwise fairly close!
3. wheels: 19". Cheaper...as are the tires...AND are lighter (possibly better range!).
4. color: the white and black look great! The darker metallic paints look black anyways! (I have a blue and everyone keeps saying its black! Summertime that will change I'm sure...).
5. tech package: again a prob of online configuration and also of tesla not fully disclosing all the info. What won't work w/o the teck package. This was the one I struggled the most with! In the end...this car is a technological leap ahead versus current available vehicles...so I ended up going with it. Not sure about this one though....only time will tell (when someone gets it w/o tech package and reports back to us!).
6. Premium Sound: PASS! They aren't using a high end name brand like other luxury automakers. Several posts on the sound suggest this is an easy pass!).
7. Pano roof. Preference I suppose (which I wouldn't have thought until I saw all the posts of people saying they don't like it!). I LOVE it. Rear passengers LOVE it. I also live in sunny so cal :). Also, this was another one that is unique to Tesla. It's the biggest sunroof available in a sedan....
8. Leather seats: gotta have em! It's a luxury car...plus heated seats ...plus memory option. Remember also that in range mode (not range charging) the climate control is limited and the seat heaters are used to help warm up the car (and the passenger!). Your driving range NOT really effected by seat heaters but IS with cabin heating. Not having the heated seats is going to cost you range.
9. Body armor: MUCH cheaper after market (and is a full wrap w/o visible lines....according to other posts (I didn't get it).
10. Rear facing seats: family dependent.
11. Parcel shelf: save the money (or not...it's only $250). Not super useful in My opinion. Only hides what's in trunk...which you could also use the hidden footwell in trunk for. (That's what I do...).
12. HPWC: no need! Will charge you up in about 5 hours. 240V 40A will do it in about 7 hours (for a P85). Overnight there's no difference b/w 5 and 7!!!!
13. Twin chargers /supercharging: I would say yes as this is the future of "refueling" for EV's.
14. Active air suspension: AMAZING ride. Also lowers at higher speeds to improve handling and aerodynamics (ie. range!!!). Again another problem of not being able to try before you buy. Would love to see how it drives w/o it....

Final cost with above config is $73,820 (60kw non perf).
Again the 2 wildcards are the tech package and the air suspension for me (b/c not knowing what the car would be like w/o them...). Take those out and your cost is $68570. The difference is 5k over 5 years = about $90 month more.

Id consider the $73820 config to be the best config for those trying to save a few bucks while not compromising to the point that you are buying a stripped down vehicle just to join the MS club.

Anyone else have some input/regrets to pass along to FUTURE model S owners?

Just so you know...I got the P85, metallic blue, 21" wheels (grey), tech pack, prem sound, pano roof, leather seats, active air).
My biggest regret was the sound package....for $950 I could have gotten some killer aftermarket speakers! (And with the MS you don't need/can't buy a new stereo! Just need new speakers!).

+1 RE: sound package. Not impressed, bass anemic.