Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JVC boogie

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

slcasner

Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2011
Sunnyvale, CA
The faceplate on the JVC head unit that was standard on 2008 Signature 100 Roadsters will automatically rotate outward at the bottom to one of four settable angles. When driving home from work a couple of nights ago, I went to adjust the volume and noticed that the faceplate was bobbing in and out. Strangely, it was in time with the beat of the music I happened to be listening to at the time. I had a hard time trying to power off the unit to make it stop, and then a hard time trying to power it on again later. It behaved normally after I did get it to power on again.

Has anyone else seen this?

It sounds like the same (or very similar) JVC unit is in my 2010 2.0. It's never boogied, but once in a while it will start making funny noises and ripples appear across the screen. It will keep doing that, even if its power switch is cycled, until the car is turned off. Then it goes back to normal.

Also every time my cell phone transmits a data burst I can hear it through the car speakers. It doesn't matter if the radio is on or not; as long as the unit is powered up I hear the sound.

GSM phone I assume.

Yes, it is. Took me a while to figure out it was the phone... started to get suspicious when my computer speakers popped out the same sound one day.

The ripply screen and similar sound seems to be the JVC on its own - or maybe the Roadster; haven't figured that out yet. Has only happened a couple of times.

Yes, it is. Took me a while to figure out it was the phone... started to get suspicious when my computer speakers popped out the same sound one day.
At least you know you're getting a call before your phone rings. Somehow the GSM phones cause EMI at audible frequencies that many amplifiers pick up. I notice it all the time at public events where there is amplified sound. I'm surprised the FCC allows it.

There's no law against transmitting signals below 8 kHz, at any amplitude. That said, I'd be surprised if a phone could produce substantial output at that frequency. Surely it must be a modulated signal of some kind.

Somehow the GSM phones cause EMI at audible frequencies that many amplifiers pick up. I notice it all the time at public events where there is amplified sound. I'm surprised the FCC allows it.

GSM is time-division multiplexed with 8 slots per radio channel (ie. each radio channel carrying active phone calls is typically shared by 8 phones, each transmitting only 1/8 of the time).

The slots are 0.577ms long, giving a repeat rate of 217Hz. So you've effectively got the RF carrier 100% AM modulated at 217Hz - readily detected up at any preamp input or microphone unless you've done something to prevent it.

I don't know about FCC, but in Europe at least it's considered to be the audio equipment's fault for picking it up. EN55020 (testing standard for TV sets, radios etc.) has an explicit test to check that such equipment is immune to GSM transmissions. However, computer speakers are probably tested against EN55024 [IT equipment] that doesn't have this test - or if they are cheap ones, the manufacturers just slap the CE mark on the side without doing any testing at all and hope noone notices!

The faceplate on the JVC head unit that was standard on 2008 Signature 100 Roadsters will automatically rotate outward at the bottom to one of four settable angles. When driving home from work a couple of nights ago, I went to adjust the volume and noticed that the faceplate was bobbing in and out. Strangely, it was in time with the beat of the music I happened to be listening to at the time. I had a hard time trying to power off the unit to make it stop, and then a hard time trying to power it on again later. It behaved normally after I did get it to power on again.

Has anyone else seen this?
I so wish you had caught this on video...

BTW, good thing the mods never derail threads ;-)

I so wish you had caught this on video...

Today it happened again, and I did catch it on video this time. After that, I tried to make it stop by pushing all the buttons on the unit to no avail. Even turning off the car did not make it stop. Finally I was able to push the faceplate release button and take the faceplate off. That made the unit settle down, so when I put the faceplate back on it was quiet. I then started the car again, turned on the JVC, and proceeded on my way to work.

Last edited by a moderator: