Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JVC KD-NX5000 Removal & Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes the camera offers that as one way to wire it up but my understanding from others is that if i can provide a signal to both the radio and the camera, the response is quicker/more automatic on the JVC side. I shall report back after I have completed this adventure

Yes the camera offers that as one way to wire it up but my understanding from others is that if i can provide a signal to both the radio and the camera, the response is quicker/more automatic on the JVC side. I shall report back after I have completed this adventure
I'm pretty sure you can leave the camera powered up all the time (whenever the car is on), and signal the JVC that the car is in reverse with the Reverse signal into the back of the JVC. That signal can simply be tapped from a backup lamp, wherever you can find it. That will trigger the JVC to put the camera video on the display. If the camera is powered all the time, you can also view what it is seeing without going into reverse by hitting the Disp button (upper right, but not the corner) on the JVC twice (once to display the speed/voltage readout, the next to view the video). But the reverse signal is what triggers the automatic switchover. Leaving it powered may make the display come on faster too, but I haven't compared the two options. May depend on the camera, too. Of course, leaving it on all the time may make it fail sooner, especially if it has IR LEDs to illuminate things in the dark.

• Informative
Reactions: RobsJester
My goal is not to have to touch the JVC; I'm hoping a tap or relay can be added/triggered when the reverse selector is made to both signal the JVC and the camera, to be seen :)
It's highly unlikely that the Reverse signal input at the back of the JVC is connected to anything, so you'll need to at least pull it out to get access to the connectors in the back. The cable pigtail that supplies video into the JVC is the same one the feeds the Reverse signal. Given that your Nav system is working, it is assured that something goes to that socket (the Speed signal lands there too), but we don't know if the connector has the video and reverse input pigtail cables attached or not. My 2.0 Roadster did not have them; the cable harness from the car went directly to the radio, with no video wires broken out. The pigtail cable with all the wires was still in the original box that the original owner had saved. (Thanks, if you're reading this!)

For the "Roadster Historians" of the group, was the JVC 505 model ever supplied with the 1.5 models, or did the 5000 to 505 head unit switchover align with the 1.5 to 2.0 model change? If Msjulie's 505 head unit was a retrofit, there might already be the requisite set of pigtails connected to the back of the unit. Maybe?

The mystery continues - I went out to verify which unit I have and it is indeed a 505 and my VIN is 209 so does that mean this radio was not the original? It has nav and settings for both video input and camera (not sure what the difference is yet). I don't use the nav as I prefer Waze on my phone. Primarily the JVC is used to play bluetooth streamed Soundcloud from my phone and little other.

My hope is for dry warmish weather on the weekend to do some deeper investigation into what is really in the car already vs what needs adding

I have my radio pulled out of the dash, it has a plug in the jack that would normally house the new one and a single green line coming out.

I got this cable JVC KD-NX5000 KDNX5000 REMOTE /VIDEO IN/ OUT RCA CABLE *PAY TODAY SHIPS TODAY* | eBay

The pink speed sensor line from the above matches up to the single line in the existing connector so I guess my radio knows if I'm speeding :)

My plan is try to find the other end of that green line or otherwise adapt it so I can use the new plug and have the speed sensor and reverse signal (when I figure out what to tap), video etc all connected up..

Agree?

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I have my radio pulled out of the dash, it has a plug in the jack that would normally house the new one and a single green line coming out.

I got this cable JVC KD-NX5000 KDNX5000 REMOTE /VIDEO IN/ OUT RCA CABLE *PAY TODAY SHIPS TODAY* | eBay

The pink speed sensor line from the above matches up to the single line in the existing connector so I guess my radio knows if I'm speeding :)

My plan is try to find the other end of that green line or otherwise adapt it so I can use the new plug and have the speed sensor and reverse signal (when I figure out what to tap), video etc all connected up..

Agree?
Agree. Let us know where you find the signal!

BTW, what I did for the Speed signal was to take a short bit of wire (#24, I think), sticking one end into the existing connector, securing it to the side with a zip tie, then attaching the other end to the new pigtail (pink) with the matching female socket. This way I didn't alter the original factory harness (no cutting of wires).

Also, what were you planning to use for the camera, and related wiring?

I ended up splicing/soldering the green wire to pink one from the new plug; I figured if someone owns the car after me I'm still not removing the wiring. I also extended the length of the reverse sensor wire, dragged all the wires through so they come out where the VDS is (on left of drive in 1.5 Roadster) . I was able to put my hands behind the dash and feed the lines through easy enough so the radio is back in but the left panel still open.

This is the camera Amazon.com: AUTO-VOX Cam 6 Rear Reverse Backup Camera License Plate Parking Rearview System of 170-Degree Wide Angle for Truck & RV with Waterproof Night Vision: Car Electronics

I tested it by having video in to the radio plugged in and using a 9volt to power the cam and the display was pretty good and I hadn't even taken the little lens cover bit of plastic off yet. Not yet sure where I'll find a safe reverse sensor; I might get a relay depending on what I learn is behind the gear lever

Separate question - when I removed the little panel with trunk release, VDS etc I noticed the dimmer knob wasn't straight. Seems sometime in it's previous life the knob was damaged some so it doesn't fit straight anyway. Anyone know the source of it (google was not helpful). I might just take it to an auto parts place and look for some universal black knob or.. do nothing..

I was snooping around in the back looking to see if I could see any light from inside the back of the car to the interior (nope not yet) and I found something that stopped me for the day

Progress is the cable is attached to the back of the radio, cam test showed the display lighting up when the camera got power, wire hanging down driver's side below the VDS panel and left driver's side panel is off (the sill panel). But then this..

A bolt has gone awol

Ok the camera is in and running. Some tips I learned: got some help to pull the driver's side panel where the seatbelt is and there is a rubber grommet back there that wires can be fed through.. takes wiggling and a good snake to drag stuff through.

The 505 radio does have a quick regarding the back up sensor - if the car is started with the gear in reverse, the annoyingly long radio startup means it misses the camera signal and you then have to hit the display button to tell it yes, the camera has stuff now show me. If you go into drive then back to reverse w/o manually

All in all, it's what I was looking for and by far the hardest part was getting the wires from inside the cab to the back of the car; everything was piece of cake!

• Informative
re reverse signal - cheat - it's feeding on the light itself and the camera power is always powered, it too can watch reverse signal so i can both have video on just when the car is in reverse or watch the tailgaters...

re pics - no i'm a loser, the process got drawn; had a few early in but nothing useful. i'm thinking how i can get a pic from viewing inside the open rear deck.. we'll see