TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Kangaroo Island J1772 charging

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by BenT, Aug 31, 2016.

1. BenT

BenT Member

I am planning a trip from Adelaide to Kangaroo Island later in the year. The local council on KI have installed various EV chargers but they are J1772 so I would need an adaptor and to sign up to Charge Point. They are rated at 50 kW. Kangaroo Island Council - E-Vehicle
    My question is at what rate would these charge and how would it compare to just using my UMC with a 240v power outlet? I get 9km/h of charge from a standard 240 V 10A plug.

2. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

The chargers are not 50kw. The solar field at the airport is. J1772 typically charge at 7.5 kW. 1 kW equals around 5 km. So, around 35 km per hour.

3. alpal

alpal Member

image.jpeg I've used the one in the council car park at Kingscote and according to my notes got 54km/h!

4. timpoo

timpoo Member

They should be rated at 30A, which means you'll get approximately 28-32km of range per hour depending on voltage.

If anyone sees higher it may be because you're on Rated rather than Typical range. Unfortunately, a 30A charging station won't be able to supply 54km of range per hour as far as I'm aware.

5. alpal

alpal Member

Checked my online notes from the trip and they say 54km/h. Will check my paper notes when I get home. (Only ever used Typical range - why would you ever use Rated?)

But BenT, I would listen to timpoo every time!

6. BenT

BenT Member

I have 85S . I am not sure if I have the double chargers or single. Would this make a difference in charge rates? When I charge at Burnside Village destination charger I get around 34km/hr with 30A.

7. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Nope. That is what you will get on the island. Single phase connectors including the 40 amp Tesla connector only use one charger. Things have recently changed but amps are amps. My reason for for what I quoted in my original reply.