TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Kansas City SuperCharger (Independence, MO)

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by MSEV, Aug 16, 2014.

1. MSEV

MSEV Member

I'm expecting my Model S in November and make intermittent trips to KC. What is happening with the KC SuperCharger Station? Any news?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

If all current rumors/second hand info is accurate, building should begin any day in Independence, MO

3. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

What is the purpose of building a SC just 80 miles east of Topeka when Columbia MO is roughly where I-70 recharging is needed? Seems like a waste of limited resources and a redefinition of the purpose of SCs.
    --

4. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

I beg to differ. For fast charging of 85's, reasonable passage of 60's, fly like the wind driving styles, and bad weather reserves, Superchargers need to be no more than 133 miles apart on flat ground, closer with elevation changes. Few people buy Teslas to spend an extra 45 minutes to get that last 20% of charge and/or hypermile their way cross-country.

Topeka to Columbia is 189 miles; that's too much distance between Superchargers. Besides, having a Supercharger near the triple intersection of I-70, I-29, and I-35 is pretty nice triple dipping. :biggrin:

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Right. Junction City would also be a great place because it's 136 miles from Independence and on the corner of 18, 77, and 70.

6. efusco

I might agree if the East-West corridor was the only thing to consider. However, significant traffic flows N/S to/from Des Moines, Joplin, Springfield as well. Had a trip just last month that was practically in drivable in a timely fashion because of the lack of a KC Supercharger.

7. Model S P

Model S P Member

It's curious that Kansas City is not on the Supercharger map going out to 2015.

8. jerry33

I don't believe they update the map all that frequently.

9. efusco

10. MSEV

MSEV Member

Does anyone know anything more about and Independence SuperCharger? I go to KC from Omaha, and the mileage is about 210 to Independence, so I could make it pretty well with my 85kWh...

11. jerry33

The only thing worse than the wait for the Model S is the wait for them to open Superchargers where you need them.

12. MSEV

MSEV Member

I'm such a newbie--more waiting and ouch!

13. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

#13 wycolo, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    "KC Supercharger" can include a lot of different choices. It does not need to be inside the city limits or even in the metro area. When I suggested Cameron, MO it was based on the Topeka site existing. My bad since Topeka site does not exist. Cameron serves north-south on I-35 as well as east-west on US36. Driving across Missouri on four lane US36 is a relaxing and unimpeded experience. You will arrive way before your shadow does beating his way across I-70, fighting rush hour traffic, semis, circumferentials on top of circumferentials (he will need a navigator!). Unbelievable what drivers put up with simply because 'that's the way its done'.

I just round tripped US36 last week for the umpteenth time (Lincoln NE to Decatur/Normal IL). Try it, you'll like it.
    --

14. MSEV

MSEV Member

Any news on KC SuperCharger? Independence?

15. xhawk101

xhawk101 Active Member

16. wcfinvader

wcfinvader Member

Supercharger under construction in blue springs by harley davidson dealership. Hotel parking lot. Can be seen from I-70 on the north side :) should be completed very early next year.

17. basf_audio

basf_audio Member

!!!!!! YES!!! :) Driving through to Kansas City tomorrow - will poke around!!!

18. MSEV

MSEV Member

Please do!

19. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Google maps indicates that it's just a Super 8 there, so it'll be in a Super 8 parking lot.

20. xhawk101

xhawk101 Active Member

Report indicates no evidence of construction. Can you cite source of information please?