Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Independence, MO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Tesla employee at the Kansas City Service Center told me that the supercharger at Bass Pro (intersection of 291 and I-70) is operational but not yet on Tesla's website. Can anyone confirm this? I'll be driving through next week from the midwest to the west coast using the I-70 corridor. Thanks.

This makes me happy. Oh so happy... I've asked one of my family members who lives in Kansas City to take a drive for me but I can't seem to get them as excited to drive out of their way as I would be...

Kansas City SuperCharger--What's Happening?

04f9ab64b7696ce8cfcf6fa201a3af63.jpg

c27554e015b98a6ddbada79016670071.jpg

Lookie lookie we've got ourselves a supercharger in Independence! Stopped by today and it is next to the Bass Pro shop as someone said. The new Stoney Creek hotel is nearby but not sure if it is open yet. Other than that there is not much within walking distance.

Six stalls. I plugged in and it works! The only thing I noticed is that the "for service call this number" stickers on the stalls do not have a phone number on them, so maybe Tesla is waiting on having a support contract in place before advertising the supercharger as available?

Two contractor guys came by and were finishing the wooden fencing. we're really happy to see the car. Had heard about the one in St Louis being next but didn't know much.

Happy charging!

04f9ab64b7696ce8cfcf6fa201a3af63.jpg

c27554e015b98a6ddbada79016670071.jpg

Lookie lookie we've got ourselves a supercharger in Independence! Stopped by today and it is next to the Bass Pro shop as someone said. The new Stoney Creek hotel is nearby but not sure if it is open yet. Other than that there is not much within walking distance.

Six stalls. I plugged in and it works! The only thing I noticed is that the "for service call this number" stickers on the stalls do not have a phone number on them, so maybe Tesla is waiting on having a support contract in place before advertising the supercharger as available?

Two contractor guys came by and were finishing the wooden fencing. we're really happy to see the car. Had heard about the one in St Louis being next but didn't know much.

Happy charging!
Oh Yea!! Thank you for going by. Please post pics if you shot any and a specific address would be great since it's not live on the Nav yet.

There were pics in his post that you quoted...? Mobile browser not showing pics perhaps?

RE: address -- Google says:
18001 Bass Pro Dr, Independence, MO 64055
Google Maps link
Weird, I'm on a PC browser (Chrome), no indication that there are or were pics attached...strange. (work machine, so maybe blocked)
edit:Tried IE (same machine) and no pic.
edit2: Using my iPad browser I can see them. Thanks. And oh God are they beautiful for a long waiting Missouri owner!!

The second picture is a nice illustration of something I've wondered about with superchargers. Why aren't they installed facing the opposite way, so the cable connection is close to the car's charge port rather than coming from the far side of the stand? It would give more slack if the cable attached to the side closest to the car.

This is good news but it still leaves a long stretch across Missouri to Springfield, IL (300+ miles) without a Supercharger.
What's wrong with Missouri?
I'm planning a trip across I-70 in a few weeks and it looks like I'll be stuck in Missouri. I don't want to travel north out of my way.
Columbia, MO would split the difference but no Supercharger there.

The St. Charles, MO site has a permit issued and is beginning construction. We also have a few owners that reside in Wentzville and other places west of St. Louis who might be able to help you out.

The St. Charles, MO site has a permit issued and is beginning construction. We also have a few owners that reside in Wentzville and other places west of St. Louis who might be able to help you out.
Good news! Looking better now... supercharge.info shows a permit for 25 days so hopefully construction will be complete soon.
Independence to St. Charles is 218 miles which should be possible if it's not too cold, etc.

This is good news but it still leaves a long stretch across Missouri to Springfield, IL (300+ miles) without a Supercharger.
What's wrong with Missouri?
I'm planning a trip across I-70 in a few weeks and it looks like I'll be stuck in Missouri. I don't want to travel north out of my way.
Columbia, MO would split the difference but no Supercharger there.

Columbia, MO has 2 Chargepoint public chargers within walking distance to the Stoney Creek Hotel. Only a 25 mph charge rate, this requires an overnight stay, but is better than going north. I made this trip a few weeks ago. Springfield, IL SC's to Columbia, Mo to Topeka, KS SC's then on to California. I posted this in a different thread

Watching for I-70 Superchargers from Denver to St. Louis

Last edited:
Columbia, MO has 2 Chargepoint public chargers within walking distance to the Stoney Creek Hotel. Only a 25 mph charge rate, this requires an overnight stay, but is better than going north. I made this trip a few weeks ago. Springfield, IL SC's to Columbia, Mo to Topeka, KS SC's then on to California. I posted this in a different thread

Watching for I-70 Superchargers from Denver to St. Louis

Thanks, that looks like a good option. I will have to stop and sleep at some point during the trip. I can try to plan to arrive there in the evening.

Stoney Creek Hotel does look like a good option if it was a good place to stop for the night. I'm passing through next week and was going to stop at an RV Park near Columbia called Pine Grove to charge at 50A. I am heading west so I planned on topping off at the Tesla St. Louis Service Center so will only need a little boost to get to the newly opened Independence supercharger (depending on how cold it is).

(LMB spouse)

The second picture is a nice illustration of something I've wondered about with superchargers. Why aren't they installed facing the opposite way, so the cable connection is close to the car's charge port rather than coming from the far side of the stand? It would give more slack if the cable attached to the side closest to the car.

Maybe because there would be much more torque on the extremely thick and inflexible cable if the pedestal were flipped? Just a guess.

We've used about a dozen different charging stations and the only one where the cable length is marginal is Milford, CT. Those are original first gen pedestals; I've heard they will be soon / have been recently upgraded, but haven't been there this winter.

Stoney Creek Hotel does look like a good option if it was a good place to stop for the night. I'm passing through next week and was going to stop at an RV Park near Columbia called Pine Grove to charge at 50A. I am heading west so I planned on topping off at the Tesla St. Louis Service Center so will only need a little boost to get to the newly opened Independence supercharger (depending on how cold it is).

when I saw that the independence supercharger is next to the new Stoney creek hotel there, it made me think that maybe they would put the Columbia supercharger at the Stoney Creek in columbia? however it is not next to I70 so not the best location. But I know a few of us would be happy with a supercharger anywhere in Columbia!