Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kansas City Test Drive Event -- April 18-19, 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
For anyone in the area who didn't already know. Test drive event in KC on April 18 and April 19, 2014. Check it out if you are in the area. So far, KC doesn't get many events like this. I'll be getting my first ever Tesla test drive myself. I'll report back on my experience afterwards.

You can get some details on the event here: Test Drive Model S in Kansas City! | Events | Tesla Motors

I was told that they have extended the event through Tuesday due to high demand.

I got a test drive today. Very awesome car. I test drove a black Model S (non-performance S85) with tech package, air suspension, parking sensors. No pano roof.

Some things I learned --

1) I'm no longer concerned about high pitched motor whine. It's actually not bad at all. Sounds pretty cool actually, and not annoying like I was afraid it might be.

2) I'm actually glad it was a non-performance model. Because now I know I will be satisfied with the non-performance model. The acceleration was quite good, enough to make me happy. And that's pretty good considering I'm a (or was a) V8 Mustang GT guy. Yeah, if I was rolling in dough, the more the merrier, but since I am already stretching my finances, it's nice to know a standard Model S model is good enough for me.

3) Headroom in the back without the pano roof is not too good for tall people. I hear there is a little more room with the pano roof. Still, it's not bad either.

4) Wind buffeting with the 1 front window down is minimal. After driving a Chevy Volt for the last 2 years where it nearly rips your eardrums off, I was very happy to find the Model S doesn't seem to suffer much from this.

5) After experiencing it, I give my full approval to the 17" touchscreen being used for most all functions. I still see some merit in physical buttons, but the advantages that come with the big 17" touchscreen and good software far outweigh the disadvantages.

6) The feature where it can save your settings for everything (driver profiles) is totally awesome. I didn't realize it also did stuff like mirror position and wheel tilt/telescope. My wife and I switch cars periodically, so this is awesome awesome awesome.

7) The nav system is very nice. Better than what I have had in other cars. I don't know why I run across complaints about it. Very cool how it also puts it on the instrument display as well.

8) The most configurable instrument display I have ever seen. More buckets of awesome.

9) It felt a little awkward getting in and out. I could get used to it pretty easily though. But for the less mobile or people who frequently transport the less mobile, the upcoming Model X may be a better choice.

10) The view out the back while backing up is not so good. But the backup camera gives the largest and most clear picture I have ever seen in a backup camera, so that more than compensates.

I want this car. I reeeeaaaaly want this car. There is very little I can fault it for, and it is very cool. Wow.