Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kansas is full. Working our way back from Colorado to Missouri and after the new addition at limit every other supercharger had a line to wait. 3/6 not working in Hays today. Had to charge for 2 hours at destination charger at local comfort in- thankyou, otherwise the line was more than 8 cars with only 3 working. Lines everywhere else. Hope they increase size of these with more chargers. Have had my Tesla for 4 years and never experienced anything like this across mid America. We are growing too with cross country trips this year. Go Tesla and thankyou for future high volume chargers on I 70

Reactions: Prairie
Kansas is full. Working our way back from Colorado to Missouri and after the new addition at limit every other supercharger had a line to wait. 3/6 not working in Hays today. Had to charge for 2 hours at destination charger at local comfort in- thankyou, otherwise the line was more than 8 cars with only 3 working. Lines everywhere else. Hope they increase size of these with more chargers. Have had my Tesla for 4 years and never experienced anything like this across mid America. We are growing too with cross country trips this year. Go Tesla and thankyou for future high volume chargers on I 70

106 miles
10 stalls v2 Colby, KS
106 miles
6 stalls v2 Hays, KS.
93.9 miles
6 stalls v2 Salinas, KS
104.5 miles
Topeka, KS

Clearly, that's a potential choke point, and unless you'd have been lucky that the 3 failures were in different pairs, it's going to be bad.

Tesla will have seen that, and I hope they can expand and get some splitters in there.

That makes me a little nervous. I've been making periodic Missouri<-->Colorado trips for years in my Teslas and have never had to wait for any chargers on I-70. Guess demand is finally exceeding charger supply on this route, at least during peak seasons. Hopefully they expand the route. I-70 has always been a busy route for motoring.

BTW, it's possible we have seen each other around town. You location is very close to mine.

That makes me a little nervous. I've been making periodic Missouri<-->Colorado trips for years in my Teslas and have never had to wait for any chargers on I-70. Guess demand is finally exceeding charger supply on this route, at least during peak seasons. Hopefully they expand the route. I-70 has always been a busy route for motoring.

BTW, it's possible we have seen each other around town. You location is very close to mine.
Just wait until it’s cold. Time to charge becomes ridiculous Without superchargers and distances become limiting.

The issue isn't _directly_ demand _exceeding_ supply, it's demand being closer to supply, and there being a lack of redundancy due to the 100 mile gaps, and slower (v2), low capacity (6 stall) Superchargers.
With a fault that knocks out 3 of 6 stalls (probably at least 2 in a pair), traffic piles up and the effect ripples, as people charge less there, and charge more either side.

Put 1 new v3 location between Hays and Salina and it would have a huge impact.

The issue isn't _directly_ demand _exceeding_ supply, it's demand being closer to supply, and there being a lack of redundancy due to the 100 mile gaps, and slower (v2), low capacity (6 stall) Superchargers.
With a fault that knocks out 3 of 6 stalls (probably at least 2 in a pair), traffic piles up and the effect ripples, as people charge less there, and charge more either side.

Put 1 new v3 location between Hays and Salina and it would have a huge impact.

Or put 2 new locations, one between Hays and Salina and another between Salina and Topeka and it would also have a huge impact.

Tesla findus said:
Russell, KS
Target opening in Q1 2023

Abilene, KS
Target opening in Q4 2022

Putting dots for the above at the McDonalds, you can see that there would be much more flexibility in travel, as well as, of course, adding new v3 capacity :

From\ToColbyHaysRussellSalinaAbileneTopekaBig Springs
Colby-106131.3199221.4302.5317.8
Hays105.8-26.194116.1197.2212.5
Russell131.325.9-68.490.5171.7186.9
Salina199.393.968.2-23.4104.5119.7
Abilene221.7116.290.623.4-81.596.8
Topeka302.7197.3171.6104.581.7-16.4
Big Springs317.9212.5186.8119.696.917-

Reactions: Prairie