Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #29 is available now with topics time-stamped. We discussed the Tesla Cybertruck's expected 1 MW Ultra-Fast Charging capability, the Tesla Semi Delivery Event, the coming Model 3 refresh (project "Highland"), and more. You can watch it now on YouTube.

Kansas - Proposal to Double Tax EVs

swaltner

Oct 13, 2012
Kansas, USA
Kansas legislature is trying to implement a double tax on EVs since we aren't paying for road maintenance through the excise tax on gasoline sales.

In Kansas there is currently a 18.4 cent/gallon federal tax on gasoline and a 24.03 cent/gallon state tax on gasoline. Fuel taxes in the United States - Wikipedia To make up for the lack of paying road taxes through gasoline purchases, Kansas implemented a $70/year premium on yearly license plate fees for EVs. The base registration fee on a car is $30/year and the base registration fee on an EV is $100/year. That does not include property tax and a few other fees. The $70 premium on your license plate is the equivalent to the state tax on 288 gallons of gasoline. For a vehicle that gets 30 mpg, that's equal to 8,640 miles of driving each year. I didn't complain when this increased registration fee was introduced in the 2019 legislative session Kansas Department of Revenue - News - 12-13-2019 Electric and hybrid vehicle owners to see change in registration fees

Now, Representative Bill Rhiley | Legislators | Kansas State Legislature has introduced HB 2488 | Bills and Resolutions | Kansas State Legislature which aims to double tax electric vehicle owners.

Establishing the EV energy equity road repair tax act and providing for a road repair tax on electricity distributed from a public charging station for electric vehicles.

This bill will enact a 3 cent/kWh tax on all electricity provided by public charging station. A "Public charging station" means "any device or infrastructure that supplies electricity to the public for the charging of an electric vehicle. "Public charging station" does not include such a device or infrastructure located at a primary residence." This applies even for charging facilities that give electricity away for free. Penalty for not paying the proper tax to Kansas is punishable by a $25/kWh fine (minimum: $5,000 maximum: $50,000) and/or 30-365 days in jail.

There are so many things wrong with this. The biggest is that the 3 cent/kWh fee is a double taxation on the stated goal of recovering lost road taxes since they are already receiving that with the higher registration fees. Many EV charging stations have been installed without any monitoring capabilities. There is no way to determine how many kWh were delivered each year on these installations. On top of that, the definition of public charging station is so generically written ("any infrastructure") that someone would be subject to a fine and jail time if a 3rd party put an entry on PlugShare for an electric outlet on the outside of a building.

The bill was introduced on Jan 18, 2022 and went to the Committee on Transportation. Current members of that Committee are:

Chair​

Vice Chair​

Ranking Minority Member​

Members​

Edit: To put a number on the proposed tax, last year, My Model 3 consumed 5,250 kWh (most of which was done at home) for 15,703 miles of driving. 3 cents per kWh would come out to $128.31 for that much electricity if it was all consumed at "public charging stations".

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: IWRBR and GSP

charlesj

Oct 22, 2019
Monterey, CA
I am surprised that they don't require odometer check to see miles drive each year and pay a fair fee on that instead of all this nonsense.
There needs to be a class action lawsuit about being taxed twice.

And, come to think of it, while they are at it, why not check those hybrid cars that get really good MPG as they pay less taxes for the same miles drive as a gas hog. ;) Maybe I should not give them ideas. :D

swaltner

Oct 13, 2012
Kansas, USA
Luckily, this bill died in committee this year. It will be something to keep an eye on though and make sure any new members on the Committee on Transportation understand this is double taxation and any similar bill in the future meet a similar fate.

Kansas doesn’t have vehicle inspections (other than a one-time VIN inspection to check for stolen vehicles on out-of-state titles as vehicles are brought into the state), so doing yearly mileage checks would be a nuisance to implement. I do agree that a more equitable way to collect road taxes as we move from gasoline to electricity would be mileage checks, but I don’t see that happening any time soon.

charlesj

Oct 22, 2019
Monterey, CA

Kansas doesn’t have vehicle inspections (other than a one-time VIN inspection to check for stolen vehicles on out-of-state titles as vehicles are brought into the state), so doing yearly mileage checks would be a nuisance to implement. I do agree that a more equitable way to collect road taxes as we move from gasoline to electricity would be mileage checks, but I don’t see that happening any time soon.
Then the question is how many electric vehicles in the state. We do smog checks every two years. I lived in NJ once many years ago. Had vehicle inspection.
It could be self-reported annually and then officially checked every few years and any mischief caught up with penalty? ;) :D

I may be giving too much credit to the state Rep, but I'm wondering if the intended target is tourists/pass-through drivers (and KS residents who use public charging are just an added $ source in his eyes).

I and a friend fall in the former category; I have done a few trips on I-35/335/US-81/75 over the years, but my friend makes multiple roundtrips a year of TX to MO in an EV.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC