Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Karaoke | Caraoke - I don't have it; what am I missing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to find anyone discussing this and couldn't seem to find it.

I have a 2017 Model S. I brought her in for annual several weeks ago. I got a Model S as my loaner. The car was otherwise stripped from what I could tell. The loaner had this cool Caraoke function on the touchscreen that my GF loved. I got my car back, I've updated to the latest software update, and I still don't have it on my screen.

Guidance?

I don't have it either on my March 2017 AP2.0 Model X. They haven't released it for that configuration. Some weeks ago Elon said they were "working on it" but who knows if we'll see it released or not. I hope so. It's such a fun feature!

It's only available on MCU2, which was installed beginning around April of 2018. MCU2 is a different architecture (both hardware and software) and more powerful. It's likely that Caraoke isn't missing because MCU1 isn't powerful enough - rather, it's probably that the Caraoke app is written on a stack that the operating system and frameworks running on MCU1 just doesn't have. As a result, although it's technically possible to back-port Caraoke by re-writing it, I would put the odds at fairly low that they'd actually do it. It's a lot of work for a fringe feature. Same reason Tesla Theater isn't supported - it's because the browser framework used on MCU1 is outdated and there is no Chromium port to the hardware used in MCU1.