Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Karpathy leaves - what's next for AP/FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Frankly you are barking up the wrong tree. FSD, autopilot and NoA are SAFETY features. You are all still here, very, very few fatal car accidents. Especially compared to any other car brand.

yes, it would be nice to sleep or read in the car. But it is much more impressive to have the car avoid accidents with people, animals, bikes, etc.

FSD is becoming a better driver than most humans most of the time today. I, too, expect more edge cases to be resolved, but I mostly want to live to see that happen.
I took a eight hour drive to a birthday party and felt rested as if I had driven only a hour or so.

The costs of FSD are high, but how much money are you saving by not having a accident? Cost - benefit.

We will see how far FSD gets this year and whether or not we need HW4. But today, it is a successful safety feature.

Frankly you are barking up the wrong tree. FSD, autopilot and NoA are SAFETY features. You are all still here, very, very few fatal car accidents. Especially compared to any other car brand.

yes, it would be nice to sleep or read in the car. But it is much more impressive to have the car avoid accidents with people, animals, bikes, etc.

FSD is becoming a better driver than most humans most of the time today. I, too, expect more edge cases to be resolved, but I mostly want to live to see that happen.
I took a eight hour drive to a birthday party and felt rested as if I had driven only a hour or so.

The costs of FSD are high, but how much money are you saving by not having a accident? Cost - benefit.

We will see how far FSD gets this year and whether or not we need HW4. But today, it is a successful safety feature.

Sure - I drive towards the median sometimes, like my EAP did. I always race the car merging ahead of me onto the freeway and get into a side swipe type situation. (Please don’t say that’s not FSD, that it’s a different stack, etc. It makes no difference to me, they are both ADAS.)

Now for the FSD : obviously you have not watched YT videos of the FSD where it makes mistakes no normal human would make, as recently as 2 weeks ago.

I don’t disagree FSD has come a long way, but to claim it’s safe is frankly, ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrHappy

FSD was sold as autonomous driving and marketed as such. Don't rewrite history when Tesla can't deliver on their promises.

Safety statistics based on a specially selected group of people who are dedicated and focused to succeed is unrealistic. Release the same tech to all drivers and see what happens.

Perhaps all cars should have attention monitors, i.e. steering wheel nags, in-cabin camera monitors. That would probably produce the best safety results.

Safety statistics based on a specially selected group of people who are dedicated and focused to succeed is unrealistic. Release the same tech to all drivers and see what happens.

Perhaps all cars should have attention monitors, i.e. steering wheel nags, in-cabin camera monitors. That would probably produce the best safety results.
Yes. Even plain BT handsfree in all cars would probably save lives.

That is true...but all testing has to start with those who have an interest....but when you have millions and millions of miles of data, you can still extrapolate useful information from it...plus you could start with the premise that if it makes safe drivers safer then it will do wonders for bad drivers