TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Katahdin Scenic Byway Rally October 2020

Discussion in 'New England' started by Gwgan, Oct 17, 2019.

?

When would you like to go?

1. Spring - late May when flowers bloom

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Summer - late August when it is less hot than further south

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Fall - early October for Fall foliage

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Now that the Medway Supercharger is online I would like to plan unofficial Tesla Rally along the Katahdin Woods and Waters Scenic Byway (rt 11).

Basic idea: drive from the Medway SC to the north end of the byway, about 60 miles, and back if that is not too long. I will make a scout trip soon any local knowledge is welcome. Once in the area participants can extend their visit to the south end of the byway, the park, and experience local outdoor adventures. The byway road is paved but there is a dirt loop road around the mountain in the national park for those who would like to continue on. Dinner near the South Gate at the end of the day.

Step 1. When can most people go?
    A. Spring, Memorial Day weekend late enough in May to not risk snow and when flowers start to show.
    B. Summer, late August when it is hot, green, and the weather is usually calm.
    C. Fall, Indigenous People’s Day (10/12/20) weekend when colors are at or near peak. Weather is unpredictable.

Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)
    Welcome - Katahdin Woods & Waters Scenic Byway (OFFICIAL WEBSITE)

If you would like to help plan please message me.

• Like x 3
  2. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. tga

tga Supporting Member

Thanks for posting that. I've driven over the bridge a dozen times since it opened, and had no idea there was an observatory. I'll have to check it out next summer.

4. JWardell

JWardell Member

Oh wow, I'll definitely put that on my list to visit, I love bridges and old forts.
    Lots of fun exploring around that VR, somehow I ended up inside the bridge where the cables terminate!

5. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Marking one vote for Fall and one for Summer given to me in person. Still no winner. Maybe we make three trips?

6. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

#6 Gwgan, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    Getting ready to plan for Fall foliage trip October 2020. Weekend of 10-11-12 with Indiginous People’s Day on Monday. Which day will depend on a survey of participants travel needs.
    Will make a scout trip as soon as the frost heaves settle down and that could be very soon if this premature warming continues.

7. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

What's the charging infrastructure like up there?

8. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Supercharger at Medway (circled) is the key and will be the start and finish. Can get there from all directions now. Will be talking about destination chargers with an area hotel where I hope to have dinner meetup and people may stay overnight before and or after. C0CB3244-55B9-4273-B7BA-820AD1C90ABC.jpeg

• Like x 1
  9. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

• Love x 1
  10. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon