Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Katahdin Scenic Byway Rally October 2021

Interested and Able to attend?

• Yes

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gwgan

Almost a wagon
Aug 11, 2013
Maine
Third time is the charm?

I booked a small cabin at Outdoor Adventure and Lakeside Lodging in Maine | New England Outdoor Center for the weekend of October 9-11 2021, yes, 2021 and will schedule the rally for that Sunday October 10 2021.
Why not 2020? NEOC is booked through 2020 already and can only plan to open pending virus numbers.

postponed 2020 thread Katahdin Scenic Byway Rally October 2020

Please join in for the Unofficial Tesla Rally along the Katahdin Woods & Waters Scenic Byway
--meet at Medway Supercharger 11AM
--drive north on 95 with Mt. Katahdin view rest stop (20 miles highway)
--turn south onto scenic Rt 11 at Sherman (25 miles winding road)
--return to Supercharger
--meet for dinner 5PM

Consider a pack lunch stop along the way
Continue north to Patten for another magnificent view, grocery shopping, the Lumberman's Museum, or further north towards Baxter State Park Northgate at Matagamon (roads are not as nice).

Combine this event with a weekend adventure in Baxter State Park or with area outdoor activities.

Welcome - .
Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)
If approaching Medway from the south along the coast a visit to the top of the Penobscot Narrows Bridge is worth a stop.
Penobscot Narrows Bridge & Observatory & Fort Knox

Reactions: RiverBrick
Here's the final details as of today. We'll try to schedule an afternoon meal as the date approaches.
Please complete the attached form for fun and feedback. The awards prizes are for fun and entertainment.

Katahdin Woods & Waters Scenic Byway Tesla Rally

Ride Itinerary:

Leave from the Medway Supercharger at 12 Noon.
Drive north on 95 for about 10 minutes to the Mount Katahdin Scenic Overlook for photos.
Continue north on 95 for about 15 minutes to Exit 264/Sherman/West 158.
Turn south onto Rt 11/Grindstone Road.
Drive south on Rt 11 for about 25 minutes to the Grindstone Falls Rest Area. Limited parking, restrooms, picnic tables.
Continue south on Rt 11 for about 15 minutes back to the Medway Supercharger

Optionally, after exiting and passing under the highway, head North on rt 11 from Sherman to another photo opportunity on Ash Hill on the way to Patten. Continue north to the Matagamon Gate of Baxter State Park.

Attendees will confer on a group meal at the River Driver’s Restaurant after the rally.

Key locations:

Medway Supercharger 1941 Medway Rd, Medway, ME 04460
Mount Katahdin Scenic Overlook rest area on I-95N PG6G+WG Medway, Maine
Exit 264 on I-95 North at Sherman. Exit off the highway to the right. Turn left. Driver under the overpass. Turn left onto Rt. 11
Grindstone Falls Rest Area PCH6+6P Medway, Maine
River Driver’s Restaurant 30 Twin Pines Rd, Millinocket, ME 04462 P5GJ+GQ Millinocket, Maine. Be sure to check their page for directions before departure Driving Directions to the New England Outdoor Center, Maine

Resources:

The Byway https://www.katahdinwoodsandwaters.com Explore Maine Scenic Byways: Katahdin Woods & Waters
The National Monument Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)
Natural Resources Council of Maine Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument
Katahdin Chamber of Comerce https://katahdinmaine.com
Friends of Katahdin Woods and Waters https://www.friendsofkww.org

Notes:

Warning: you may not have cell service in the region. The DeLorme Paper Atlas & Gazetteer is available online and in local service stations.

You are encouraged to explore the area and enjoy outdoor activities however available area lodging may already be booked so plan ahead.

If traveling north on Rt 1 through Bucksport and the skies are clear consider a quick stop a the Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory when they open at 9AM then drive 1.5 hours north to Medway for the Rally Rates and Hours | Penobscot Narrows Bridge & Observatory

In Maine the weekend is Indigenous Peoples' Day Indigenous Peoples' Day - Wikipedia

The mountain is pronounced kuh·taa·dn.

Attachments

• Form 2021.pdf
    42.1 KB · Views: 86
  • KWW Tesla Rally 2021 Brochure.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 72
  • Informative
Reactions: Tdreamer
My father-in-law has fallen and broken (torn?) two shoulders. I don't know if we will make it as I don't yet know when we are heading to MA to visit with him.

Unfortunately, it looks like the weather looks better for this Saturday instead of Sunday, I am hoping that the weather people are wrong. I hope it's a great drive!

Not a large group so I've not made advance plans for such--we can make that decision after the ride.
If you've not signed up via e-vite then please let me know here so we have an approximate head count.

Make your reservations now for a leaf peeping weekend next year before everything is booked. We'll try for Sunday October 9 2022, unless people prefer Saturday or the actual holiday Monday.

This weekend should be spectacular.