Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Katy Tx - Do I need city permit to install Tesla Wall connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cypress here checking in. Typical no permit due to county and not city. Not sure if Katy is it's own city now, check and see their requirements. Either way, go with TECL certified electrician and inquire whether they have done wall charger before and ask for references. Another good way would be to use Nextdoor app to find neighbor based recommendations. Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I am in Pearland (Brazoria County) and used Chams Electrical Services. They are one of Tesla's endorsed/aproved service providers. I can't say enough good things about their service. They were extremely professional, punctual and are extremely experienced with wall connectors. Reach out to them at 832-659-3442. They installed my wall connector back in April.

I'd guess your local county clerk would know better than a worldwide message board.

The better bet would be the Texas TMC forum. I'm in Galveston county and this type of work would be a city permit, so the county clerk would NOT be a good choice (if Harris county operates the same way).

OP: I'm guessing if you are not touching the main breaker or doing any trenching, a permit is not necessary, but a licensed electrician can answer best.

This is from my experience talking with a person at my city permit counter, your city may be different:

If you are doing a NEMA 14-50 dryer plug type (50A breaker, 40A continuous), you don't need a permit because it's under 60A. Recommended but not required.

If you are doing a hard wired install with a HPWC, it is typically set to 100A breaker (80A continuous, max 72A in practice due to car's onboard charger), then you would need a permit for being over 60A. And on top of that, you would need a kill switch within line of sight of the HPWC.

The kill switch is necessary because if you ever need to service the HPWC, you cannot just flip the breaker to off at the main panel. While you're working on your HPWC, someone could come along and flip the breaker to on. 100A flowing through you is not a good day. The NEMA 14-50 dryer plug does not need a kill switch because it is a kill switch built-in. You can simply unplug the HPWC (if you convert it by using a dryer pigtail) and then you can service it all you want.

Hello,
Thanks for helpful reply.

I live in katy texas but my home is not under city of Katy limit. Also, I called Chams Electrical Services and asked him about permit.
He also confirmed that as my home is not under city of Katy limit so do not require a permit.

I will install HPWC with 60 amp , my breaker panel is outside so I am planning conduit underground to bring it to garage.
Let me know if this is not a good way to install it. I may hire Chams Electrical Services to do it.
Appreciate your response.

I am not sure what "...not under city of Katy Limit." means, but you are dealing with a fair bit of power here, and you do not want to see your house go up in flames here to save a couple of bucks on permits, or a sub-standard installation. Get somebody who has done Tesla chargers before.

Katy has the following - "The City of Katy is a Zoned City, and we do require permits to be obtained from the building department BEFORE work is started. Permits are required for... electrical...", so yea - you need one
and
EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2019: The City of Katy has adopted the 2015 International Building Codes and the 2017 National Electrical Code.
Permits & Building | City of Katy, TX

There are tons of entries in this TMC on charging installation. the good, the bad, and the Ugly.

I am in Fort Worth. I had requested 72 Amp capability, as I had the available current capability. During the install the installer could not find a 90 Amp breaker, so put in an 80 amp breaker, and then set the HPWC to 60 Amp Max.
During my initial inspection, (the installer was not present-nor was required to be) the inspector wanted to verify the current limitation of the HPWC setting, when they could not get the cover off, the deferred the inspection until the installer could come out to take off the covers for that verification. The Inspector was very clear that their task was to make very sure the installation was correct so that there was no safety issue. Since it was my house, I absolutely agreed with them. The second inspection was very quick.
Eventually the installer was able to get the correct 90 Amp breaker, and reset the unit to the full 72 charging capability.

I normally just plug the car in at night and it is all charged put in the morning for running around. In the year and a half I have owned the only once have I really needed the high speed charging capabilities mid-day - so in my case - having the 72 Amp capability is really overkill.

I am not sure what "...not under city of Katy Limit." means...

I think he was trying to say "my postal code / mail delivery city is Katy TX, but I live outside the city limits."

Hello,
Thanks for helpful reply.

I live in katy texas but my home is not under city of Katy limit. Also, I called Chams Electrical Services and asked him about permit.
He also confirmed that as my home is not under city of Katy limit so do not require a permit.

I will install HPWC with 60 amp , my breaker panel is outside so I am planning conduit underground to bring it to garage.
Let me know if this is not a good way to install it. I may hire Chams Electrical Services to do it.
Appreciate your response.

OP: If you are in unincorporated land, then agreed, no city permit is required.

I did exactly as you suggest, conduit from main breaker to my garage; if you are going to the effort of trenching/conduit, you may want to install a subpanel in the garage and have the breaker for the HPWC there (to add flexibility for future garage changes without having to retrench). In any event, with this level of work, I would hire an electrician.