Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kayak on roof rack Whispbar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I haven't seen too much discussion about actually carrying a kayak on the roof rack, I thought I'd share a picture of me doing so...

I have a Wilderness Systems Pamlico 100 kayak (10 foot, 42 lbs) on a Whispbar, without any saddles or other rack attachments. I used one long strap that looped over the top of the kayak twice, and two other straps on the front and rear of the kayak. Getting rack saddles, such as the Yakima Evenkeel, might still be worth looking into since there is a little of left-to-right sliding possibility if you take a turn quickly.

There doesn't seem to be any good anchor points on the front and rear of the Model S so I just fed the straps through the hole in the rectangular latches and carefully shut the trunk/frunk on them. Some microfiber cloths were used to minimize areas of direct contact with the paint. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone could suggest better front/rear attachment points.

Energy consumption on my 70D isn't any higher than my overall average (was actually a little lower), but I attribute that to me driving a little slower and less aggressively while carrying the kayak.

Attachments

• IMG_1024.JPG
    IMG_1024.JPG
    501.8 KB · Views: 1,245
  • IMG_1025.JPG
    IMG_1025.JPG
    484.7 KB · Views: 813
Reactions: sublimaze1
Since I haven't seen too much discussion about actually carrying a kayak on the roof rack, I thought I'd share a picture of me doing so...

I have a Wilderness Systems Pamlico 100 kayak (10 foot, 42 lbs) on a Whispbar, without any saddles or other rack attachments. I used one long strap that looped over the top of the kayak twice, and two other straps on the front and rear of the kayak. Getting rack saddles, such as the Yakima Evenkeel, might still be worth looking into since there is a little of left-to-right sliding possibility if you take a turn quickly.

There doesn't seem to be any good anchor points on the front and rear of the Model S so I just fed the straps through the hole in the rectangular latches and carefully shut the trunk/frunk on them. Some microfiber cloths were used to minimize areas of direct contact with the paint. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone could suggest better front/rear attachment points.

Energy consumption on my 70D isn't any higher than my overall average (was actually a little lower), but I attribute that to me driving a little slower and less aggressively while carrying the kayak.

I have been looking at options for carrying w kayaks on the Whispbars. I wonder if a dedicated mount could allow for the omission of the front and rear guide lines. Nice pics.

So - I have been looking at getting kayaks as the 12 year old has decided that fishing is cool (this is AMAZING news to the father who has raised two girls - now 21 and 18 - and is embarking on legal excuses, that pass muster with the wife, do fish, hunt, IRL, football, baseball, etc.)

Anyhow, I am jaded by a 2000 mile trip this summer with the yakima whispbar HD setup with a 16 Carbonite skybox and a 445+ wh/Mi drain and reduction of air conditioning etc. etc. But I digress

I like the idea of the straps going through the frunk latch (hadn't considered that) as well as the trunk. Don't suppose you have any pictures of that attached to the yak?

Thanks.
WJ

@Bitjockey - I am not a big fan of aftermarket wheels ... but I kinda like yours !!!!

I avoid straps near any painted surfaces as they can become loose and will quickly abrade the paint. If your kayaks are shorter like 14 ft then I think double straps at the front are sufficient to hold them down safely. We have transported two kayaks this way for years at speeds of 75 mph. If you are considering a tandem kayak or maybe two then a trailer is a better option. People have added tailer hitches to a Model S (custom) and it wouldn't need to be higher than Class 2. A light trailer with longer tongue and J racks would do the job.

I have been considering a trailer to tow our kayaks behind a Miata but with Current Design Kestrel 14s, two on the roof of a car is not a problem. Certainly drag goes way up with anything on the roof where as a trailer should be much less drag. During a road trip to the West Coast in our Miata I considered a trunk rack for extra luggage capacity. Instead I added a trailer hitch and small platform behind the rear bumper. It was perfect and even when it rained the bag didn't get wet so air flow must have passed over.

Towing kayaks on a trailer low and behind a car is best and roof racks are second best, in my opinion.

I avoid straps near any painted surfaces as they can become loose and will quickly abrade the paint.

Excellent point, and I agree completely. However, the trailer option is not in the cards for me at this point. I have a whispbar HD rack that I have used, and want to expand upon.

Door (cup) handle protection film may provide a solution. They are cheap and easy to remove.

Just to clarify.... we also have Whisper bars for our Model S and J holders for the kayaks. With 14 foot boats I am confident that double straps around the forward cross bar will be plenty strong. I have no plans to attach lines to the front of the car.

However, if this ever became a requirement I will have custom stainless steel tabs fabricated that mount inside the frunk leaving the tab end protruding along the edge of the fender panel. To this I will attach a shackle and webbing to the boats.

Here's one more idea for your consideration.... With two boats on the roof use an aluminium pole to attach the bows of the boats together so that they support each other during wind gusts. You could do the same at the sterns of the boats creating a more riding structure on the roof.

I would do anything to avoid straps to the body of the car after seeing the damage that they can do. In fact, most applications of front straps that I have seen on the road show that the straps become loose very quickly and hence not effective except to tether a flying boat to the car. It's better to make sure that boats can't leave the car, in my opinion..

Reactions: Steve S
A few weeks ago I needed to transport three kayaks on my Model S, with one of them being a tandem (K2). I was quite nervous in doing so, especially since I needed to drive 40km (24mi) with them. I didn't use any front or rear attachment points, just my Thule J racks, which fit nicely on the Whispbars.View attachment 185580

Thank you for this post. I was looking at an inflatable Hobie Mirage for fishing, but I like to fish timber so I know I would be swimming at some point. I really need a hard shell kayak and it looks like you have the perfect setup. :)

A few weeks ago I needed to transport three kayaks on my Model S, with one of them being a tandem (K2). I was quite nervous in doing so, especially since I needed to drive 40km (24mi) with them. I didn't use any front or rear attachment points, just my Thule J racks, which fit nicely on the Whispbars.View attachment 185580

I still look at this and commend you on the rather large brass ones that we do not see hanging around in the picture.

My kayak is a fishing kayak (and not an adventure) and with gear, runs in at around 155#. Lifting it there is one thing, and having it stay there is another. Also, mine would have to be flat unless I dismantled everything and put it inside the vehicle.

Either way I applaud your success, and admit to liking your aftermarket wheels.

I have been looking at options for carrying w kayaks on the Whispbars. I wonder if a dedicated mount could allow for the omission of the front and rear guide lines. Nice pics.
Just wondering how this worked out. Did you end up carrying your kayak(s) without a front tie-down? Would you do it again or was it a bad idea? Have you found a better solution? I'm planning a trip that will involve two touring kayaks on the roof rack but it's still not clear to me what to do about the front and rear tie-downs.

@Bitjockey
I'm wondering how you executed this setup with 3 kayaks and whether it might work on the new Model 3 rack system? It looks like you have 2 Thule J hooks and then the kayak in the middle is flat on it's bottom on foam blocks? That middle boat must be pretty slim to fit between the other two? What sort of blocks did you use in the center to support the middle boat?