Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

KBB Private Sale Valuation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because there’s quite the lead time for a brand new vehicle. Cash in while you can before Supply meets the Demand.

Are you trading in for something else or just selling? There’s sales tax stuff that goes into trades, I don’t know how to explain it though. Someone SMRT will come along and explain it I’m sure.

Reactions: jawnly211
Because there’s quite the lead time for a brand new vehicle. Cash in while you can before Supply meets the Demand.

Are you trading in for something else or just selling? There’s sales tax stuff that goes into trades, I don’t know how to explain it though. Someone SMRT will come along and explain it I’m sure.

I was surprised how many new Model 3 are in stock within 200 miles of Houston. In the past, there's been zero new, but there's almost 50 right now with zero cost delivery fee. And I am not talking about demo's that are being sold as new cars. These are true new cars with only delivery miles.

So I don't think it's a good idea to pay more than new for a used Model 3. Supply has already exceeded demand around here.

I was thinking about outright selling it. I have a feeling my job will remain remote for the foreseeable future so we don’t really have much use for a second car.

Do you know of any good sites to list the car?

I was surprised how many new Model 3 are in stock within 200 miles of Houston. In the past, there's been zero new, but there's almost 50 right now with zero cost delivery fee. And I am not talking about demo's that are being sold as new cars. These are true new cars with only delivery miles.

So I don't think it's a good idea to pay more than new for a used Model 3. Supply has already exceeded demand around here.

I would think so too but wonder why KBB is indicating people should.

Some areas have a good amount of supply but other areas are struggling to keep up with the demand.

I was thinking about outright selling it. I have a feeling my job will remain remote for the foreseeable future so we don’t really have much use for a second car.

I haven’t used any websites to sell before sorry. Try CarMax/Carvana/etc

Reactions: calidreamz808
I hear you. I have been remote since March 10th and will likely retire next year while still remote (to Texas, where gas is a little over a $1.60 a gallon). I bought mine specifically because of the SoCal traffic and the ability to drive in the HOV lanes (for free). Seriously, if I had known a year ago August about this covid, I likely would not have bought it. Up until a few months ago I had 4 cars in my stable, now I have three and one probably hasn't been driven to any great extent in a year, the other two, including the Tesla, we rotate their use.

Don't pay much attention to KBB values on Teslas as they are too often out of touch with the volatile EV market. As far as places to list the car, in addition to the traditional sites (Autotrader, CarGurus, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc.) you could also try the "Only Used Tesla" website or even the "for sale" section on this forum..

Because there’s quite the lead time for a brand new vehicle.
As mentioned by others, that's not the case anymore. I ordered an M3 LR Dec 14, and I could have picked up car today (Dec 23), directly from the factory (not a transfer). I might kill the deal because of issues with the new place here (they've been a PITA), plus no new headlights.

The 'problem' with lead time is Tesla makes cars for each market every quarter. So people who ordered early October, are getting their cars at the same time as me, who ordered 1-1/2 weeks ago. And SA said there were a ton of unsold vehicles, at least in my configuration (M3 LR white/white). So the delay doesn't mean there's more demand than supply at the moment, but it certainly looks that way when you order early in the quarter.

Reactions: DDHEverything
If you try all the common car sales sites, and then Craigslist, after the scammers clear out in the first few days, you'll be surprised that Craigslist brings the most serious buyers.
That was exactly my experience for cars in the ~ 10k - 20k USD range. I'm skeptical about cars that are in the $30 - 40k range since the lion's share of people will require financing.

I sold my car to vroom, they offered 47.5k and I sat on the offer. A couple of days later they offered 48k. It was a no brainer and it was super easy. They picked up the car and I had a check in hand 2 days later.

Wouldn't hurt to give them a shot

That was exactly my experience for cars in the ~ 10k - 20k USD range. I'm skeptical about cars that are in the $30 - 40k range since the lion's share of people will require financing.

A lot of them in that range use their credit union for loans, so it's not a problem. Of course, you will get a bozo every now and then that wants you to offer owner financing with them swearing they'll pay you $500 each month, lol.

If you get that one, the easy way to get them to quit bothering you is to tell them you need the full amount right away to buy your next car.

There's definitely an art to selling on Craigslist.