Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

KBB vs Tesla.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering selling my 2014 Model S (60 kWh, 31,000 miles) and on the steep learning curve. KBB say my car is worth $45,000. Tesla has one for sale for $66,000. How do I determine realistic pricing for my Tesla? I'm leaving the country and would prefer to sell though not really necessary. I'm in the San Diego area.

tech package. I went from owning a Nissan Leaf to Tesla. I knew I didn't need a bunch of extras. Just a few more miles on the battery. I got more than I expected with this car, obviously. It's a terrific machine! White exterior, black interior. Very good condition as I was pretty anal about it. Small scratch on rear bumper. That's it. Does that help in the comparison between KBB and Tesla.com? No pics yet.

What are the options? Can you post pics and spec sheet?

Tesla's pricing on CPOs is *very* inconsistent. That $66k 2014 S60 will not get sold until they come down on the price a LOT. It is loaded with options (autopilot, etc.) but still way overpriced. For example, there is this late 2014 S60 with every option except autopilot, and it comes with the new 4 year 50k mile warranty, for $49k:
Used Inventory | Tesla

Someone recently sold a white 2014 S60 (tech package, sunroof) with around 33k miles and about 3 years and 40k miles left on a 4/50 CPO warranty, here in this forum. They started out asking $43,500 if I remember correctly, and after a couple of weeks dropped it to $42,500, and eventually sold it for $40,500. IMO that $40-45k range is realistic. If the car has autopilot though you could increase that to probably $47k-52k. Some people seem to really want autopilot.

Thanks for the info, DrMike. What is CPO? This forum has so many abbreviations it's like reading a foreign language. I'm just an ordinary, average guy ...

off topic: I'm in NH a lot - got a cabin in the Whites - would like to talk to you about getting another Tesla when I return stateside and buying it in/via New Hampshire.

Here is the one I mentioned that recently sold here:
2014 Model S 60

While this is obviously anecdotal, I've found that a decent rule of thumb for market value (actual sales price) of private party cars is to get a trade-in quote from Tesla and then add about 12-13%. Based on a more limited sample, Tesla seems to charge at least a 20% (or greater, sometimes much greater) premium on CPO cars (20%+ above the trade-in quote).

Of course, the CPO car carries a longer warranty and (supposedly) meets minimum standards and has been reconditioned so that extra cost may be worth it over a private party buy. Nobody seems to know, however, what those minimum standards are -- I know of at least one instance of Tesla buying a car with previous accident history/body repair and selling it as CPO.

Thanks for the info, DrMike. What is CPO? This forum has so many abbreviations it's like reading a foreign language. I'm just an ordinary, average guy ...

off topic: I'm in NH a lot - got a cabin in the Whites - would like to talk to you about getting another Tesla when I return stateside and buying it in/via New Hampshire.
CPO = Certified Pre Owned = Used Car.
Most CPO cars sold by Tesla are freshened cosmetically and offer a good warranty.

It looks like AP1 CPO 2014 model S cars have recently sold for $45,000 to $47000, those were nicely optioned and the highest recent sale last year being $61.5k, but that was a loaded car with 22,000 miles. A private sale would have to be less than a comparable Tesla CPO car all things being equal. The KBB numbers may be a bit high with recent CPO releases and the new model 3 numbers pushing the Tesla entry point down. I think the used Tesla price trend may start to decline quicker on the older S 60’s with the option of new 3’s as they start to hit the market quicker with more range and fresh 4 year factory warranties.

Good point. sorry, but what's AP1 ? I need an abbreviation reference sheet ...

It looks like AP1 CPO 2014 model S cars have recently sold for $45,000 to $47000, those were nicely optioned and the highest recent sale last year being $61.5k, but that was a loaded car with 22,000 miles. A private sale would have to be less than a comparable Tesla CPO car all things being equal. The KBB numbers may be a bit high with recent CPO releases and the new model 3 numbers pushing the Tesla entry point down. I think the used Tesla price trend may start to decline quicker on the older S 60’s with the option of new 3’s as they start to hit the market quicker with more range and fresh 4 year factory warranties.

Good point. sorry, but what's AP1 ? I need an abbreviation reference sheet ...
AP1 is first gen Autopilot. AP1 is almost flawless, it was designed by Mobileye (same company that designs the tech for other manufacturers). Tesla had a fallout with them and in haste designed their own system AP2, they keep hoping that with each new update AP2 is going to catch up to AP1. With each update they say it will match AP1, then it’s the next update that will catch up and then the next and so on. Actually the AP2.0 has now been replaced with AP2.5 and that is the one they are pinning their hopes on. Craigslist is a tough one but it covers a large audience. I recently sold a car to a buyer 3000 miles away through Craigslist with no issues. I think you can find good and bad buyers wherever you advertise.

Last edited:
for those of you who have sold your tesla(s) - any advice on screening potential buyers? would you post to craig's list? I'm obviously concerned about people showing up to drive my car with no intention to buy.
Have you ever sold a car? Selling a Tesla is no different than selling any other car. I'd first start with not just on-line research but go to your local Carmax and get a quote. Similar to the advice above, I'd add about 10-15% to get a baseline for selling it yourself. From there, I'd evaluate the time/effort it will take and if it's worth it to you for the premium. I sold my last vehicle to Vroom. It was a painless process, I inputted the VIN, answered some questions, and uploaded pictures. Got a quote within 24 hours and had cash in my bank within a day of acceptance. I also got about 10% less than what I would have through craigslist or other means but it saved me the headache of dealing with potential deadbeats.

Got a quote within 24 hours and had cash in my bank within a day of acceptance. I also got about 10% less than what I would have through craigslist or other means but it saved me the headache of dealing with potential deadbeats.

This. I've sold dozens of cars - the older I get, the happier I am to dump them at CarMax rather than squeeze out the last 10% dealing with potential buyers. Selling cars on forums to people who know the car is relatively easy -- sifting through the CL guys is a pain in the ass, with autotrader and cars.com guys only marginally better.

Made appointment at Carmax. I don't need/want to deal with craig's list. I'll post it here as well though no pics yet.

This. I've sold dozens of cars - the older I get, the happier I am to dump them at CarMax rather than squeeze out the last 10% dealing with potential buyers. Selling cars on forums to people who know the car is relatively easy -- sifting through the CL guys is a pain in the ass, with autotrader and cars.com guys only marginally better.