Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep ‘18 LR RWD with FSD or upgrade to P3D - sleeper with no FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m reaching out to the community as whether I should keep the model 3 I have currently: 2018 MSM with FSD, window tint, full front PPF and 18 inch.

There is an opportunity to reserve a sleeper model 3 aka P3D-, stealth.

The only thing is I would lose out on not getting the FSD on the new model 3.

What would you suggest:
Keep ‘18 LR RWD with FSD or upgrade to P3D - sleeper with no FSD.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 0AD05624-FEA2-4472-808F-85D228F36CB4.jpeg
    0AD05624-FEA2-4472-808F-85D228F36CB4.jpeg
    406.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Funny
Reactions: tvad
You have the best 3 made, why would you give it away? This is coming from a person that purchased a P3D+. If the Rear Wheel LR was available, I would have picked it over all of them, with that said, I am happy going really fast too. The P3D- is a pretend track car that is only good for red light shows.

I have kept quite on here about the variant people call the “unicorn” but really it’s a fast car without a purpose. Do you research with Tesla, not people guessing on a forum, before you commit.

Last edited:
I’m reaching out to the community as whether I should keep the model 3 I have currently: 2018 MSM with FSD, window tint, full front PPF and 18 inch.

There is an opportunity to reserve a sleeper model 3 aka P3D-, stealth.

There is always an opportunity to upgrade, and eat a big fat depreciation pie on the current car.
What is motivating your upgrade itch?

The only thing is I would lose out on not getting the FSD on the new model 3.

Why?
You threw away $6K on the FSD once, you could certainly do so again!

What would you suggest:
Keep ‘18 LR RWD with FSD or upgrade to P3D - sleeper with no FSD.

Since you haven't shared anything to explain you motivation for the upgrade, if money is no object, I would say go for the proper TM3P, or Taycan S.

If money is a consideration, stay put with TM3 RWD.

I had an '18 LR RWD. I would have upgraded to a P3D-, but it wasn't available, so I got a P3D+.

By upgrading, you'll get AWD and a quicker car. But you'll lose FSD, some efficiency and presumably some cash (especially since you aren't likely to get anything back for the PPF and tint). It sounds like none of those things are necessary, so it just depends on which ones you value more.

I really enjoy the P3D acceleration, and I like how AWD is more buttoned down when you take a fast corner or accelerate through a sweeper. But to be honest the LR RWD is plenty quick for most situations, and unless you are pushing it the handling is just as nice too.

I wrote more on the differences in THIS thread. BTW, I made my trade over a year ago, and was able to sell my LR RWD for everything I had in to it (including tax and registration), so it wasn't as big of a financial hit as it could have been. I love my P3D, but really didn't get anything I needed in the upgrade, and it would have really made more sense to keep the LR RWD.

A few things for upgrading would be another year of carpool / HOV access for another year here in California. Last quarter for Fed Tax credit and additional CA and PG&E rebates too. AWD performance speed over the RWD.

My monthly payments would actually go down (1.74 %) but would reset it for another 5 years vs 3.5 years on my current LR RWD.

I did a test drive today on the full performance version and it was a lot of fun. I did read that the 2020 stealth version with 18 inch rims is rated for 322 miles as well. This is particularly the same as the 325 miles range of RWD.

Do you think I could be able to get $43500 or more for my model 3 with about 27K miles?

You have the best 3 made, why would you give it away? This is coming from a person that purchased a P3D+. If the Rear Wheel LR was available, I would have picked it over all of them, with that said, I am happy going really fast too. The P3D- is a pretend track car that is only good for red light shows.

I have kept quite on here about the variant people call the “unicorn” but really it’s a fast car without a purpose. Do you research with Tesla, not people guessing on a forum, before you commit.
lol, get over yourself man. Bigger brakes, wheels, and a spoiler does not make a track car. None of these cars are track cars. They're fun, they're fast, but far from an ideal car to take to a track.

No need to gatekeep. The Stealths are really fun cars, just like the full performance, just like the regular LR-AWD, and just all like all the other variants of this car.

The opportunities to go illegally fast are very few and far between. And then what? The single motor has power to spare among mortals any day, and it gives you more range. I don't know about you, but I drive in NOA on freeways over 95% of the time, including crawling through the mazes in stop & go and in 75 MPH conveyor belt mode. I was a fool not to buy it with FSD and finance it, I had to come up with cash. And if you get a Tesla without it, you WILL have to come up with more cash too. A Tesla without full automation is half a Tesla. The automation on the new HW 3 computer will keep evolving (and updating) for years. It's a paid off subscription to the most exciting AI robotics breakthrough of our times. That's what FSD is, it's the new computer and one heck of an exciting process, every update like Christmas.

If your 2018 Model 3 is as good as mine - as most are, and you have LR, and you've even done your cosmetics, you've got a perfect car, don't mess around.

Last edited:
I have a 19 Model 3 Performance with full self drive. It's been in the shop for a couple days and I'm in a loaner. The loaner is a Model X 100D. It has the adaptive cruise control and auto steer. It drives me nuts not having the full self driving. Especially not being able to change without disengaging auto pilot. I really miss being able to change lanes by just turning on the turn signal or just letting the car do it on its own. The speed and performance hasn't been missed in daily driving. If you aren't going to go to a track or venue where you can really open it up the extra speed will rarely get used.