Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep 2015 P85DL or trade for 2022 Model 3 Perf?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BigNick

Infamous Fat Sweaty Guy
Dec 3, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Currently I am driving a 2015 P85DL with roughly 46K miles (as listed in my signature). I have been kicking some virtual tires in my brain, and am considering trading it in on a new 2022 Model 3 Performance in a couple months.

I know there are some fundamental differences between the two cars, hatchback vs non-hatchback, FUSC vs paid Supercharging, SC speeds, real vs vegan leather, etc.

Since the pandemic I've been driving about 3000 to 4000 miles per year. I rarely if ever use Ludicrous+ (the old "Max Battery" option.)

I've test driven a 2021 Model 3 LR AWD and know it's not as fast as my P85DL. Has anyone driven both a Performance 3 and an P85DL back-to-back? Are they relatively close in straight-line performance?

I would make the switch if I were you. I went from a P85D to a MYP and was very glad I did.

The 85 was full of rattles, charged slowly, and looked dated IMO. Plus, you’re probably coming up on the warranty period and I would absolutely not want to be in a 2015 85 pack when that happens.

Be sure the lack of hatchback is not a concern for you (it’s why I chose the Y). performance in the 3 will overall be better than your S. S is quicker off the line but the 3 is more nimble, can repeat launches, and battery conditions need not be optimal to pull full power.

Reactions: Phlier
What is your reasoning for trading in a car if your driving behavior has slowed down? To me that would make more sense to just keep what you currently have if you don't need any the benefits of a newer vehicle like supercharging speeds, smaller vehicle profile or fsd. I also don't use the + option on my P85D either unless I'm showing someone the launch control or something but I do usually drive around in insane mode. For me the ride quality of the 3 vs the S is a bit rougher than I'd like for a daily. Sure it feels more sporty than the S but if I want to drive a sporty car I'll drive my other car that actually makes engine noises. I know our car is older but I'd still take a P85D over a newer 3 any day. The only 2 things I have FOMO over are charging speed and range. I'm going to hold out for a used LR refresh or plaid in a few years or new if the price drops back to decent amount for the LR.

Reactions: DCEV
When you say trading it in, do you really mean trading it in to Tesla? Or selling it privately?
Tesla has been pretty rude in some of their trade in estimates in the past, but the used market has changed over the short term so maybe it is more favourable: Did you get a quote?

Current Tesla trade quote is $44K and has gone up considerably over the past few months. I'm sure I could get more via private sale, especially if I kicked in the never-used Arachnids in my garage.

Maybe I've been reading the forum too much but I get the feeling that the longer I keep this car, the more it becomes a ticking time bomb: an "85" battery pack, MCU1 with original eMMC, suspension prone to sudden failure, door handles, etc.

While there is some wisdom in "the devil you know" philosophy, a new car with full warranty brings peace of mind, of sorts.

If I were you, I'd do the MCU 2.0 4G upgrade and perhaps the front bumper refresh install and hold on to that car forever!

Personally I love the feel of the Model S. Especially for longer trips and I absolutely LOVE having a working sunroof in the car.

For additional peace of mind, I might consider getting this third party warranty:

Within the next 1-2 years there will be about a dozen really compelling EVs that will come out. If I did not need to buy a new car now, I would wait.

Personally, I'd love to buy something like a Rivian for my next EV purchase. I'd like something with rain sensing wipers that work, a music player/USB audio that worked, and 360 view for tight parking situations. Android Auto/CarPlay would also be nice.

Also would be nice to be able to call the service center and talk to a human.

All I'm saying is that some really compelling options by Tesla and other brands are on the horizon.

We currently have 2 model S (P90DL and 75D). I sold my 2013 S and was going to get the model Y but I couldnt pull the trigger as I really like the look and size of the S compared to the other tesla options. I was also considering a new P 3 but I couldnt get over how small it felt and how it felt like a go-cart when sitting in it. Im not tall (5 ft 10 in) and I couldnt imagine sitting in a 3 for any extended period of time. Im very happy that I got my P90DL and havent looked back (unless your in my rear view mirror) and even though you get new tech with the newer teslas I still dont regret my decision.

Everyone has different wants, needs when it comes to a car purchase. I suggest you go drive the one you want and compare side by side.

Reactions: Eugene Ash
I've test driven a 2021 Model 3 LR AWD and know it's not as fast as my P85DL. Has anyone driven both a Performance 3 and an P85DL back-to-back? Are they relatively close in straight-line performance?
I've driven both and they're pretty close, though the cars' performance does drop off a bit with age, and your car has almost 50k on the clock. I think a new M3P might be a tick faster now. They're comparable though - maybe not enough to notice.

You can get a lot of repairs done (if needed) for the depreciation on a new car. Look at total cost of ownership and not just how often you open your wallet.

Reactions: blodg1
I would highly recommend taking a test drive in a M3P before making a decision.

I have a "stealth" Model 3 Performance, which doesn't have the performance suspension, and to this old guy with his 7 spinal fusions, the suspension is firm. Bordering on not acceptable. The performance suspension is even more firm. Coming from an S, it might be too firm for you.

But then again, it might not be... unless you're an old guy with spine problems like me, you might like the tighter Performance suspension.

As to your other lines of reasoning, I do agree with your points about the car's (and especially the battery pack's) age.

The 2021 Model 3 Performance is a fine car, there's no doubt about it. The improvements they've made (especially the double pane glass and heat pump) make it even more so.

FWIW, I'd rather own a new Tesla with four years of warranty on it than a 7 (soon to be 8) year old S with an aging battery pack. Just keep in mind that I'm a bit biased, though, as I freaking love my Model 3 Performance. ; ) Model 3's have really been holding their resale value well, too. It might be wise to sell your older Tesla while it still has some resale value left to it.

So many things to consider! Let us know what you do? :)

I would highly recommend taking a test drive in a M3P before making a decision.

I have a "stealth" Model 3 Performance, which doesn't have the performance suspension, and to this old guy with his 7 spinal fusions, the suspension is firm. Bordering on not acceptable. The performance suspension is even more firm. Coming from an S, it might be too firm for you.

But then again, it might not be... unless you're an old guy with spine problems like me, you might like the tighter Performance suspension.

As to your other lines of reasoning, I do agree with your points about the car's (and especially the battery pack's) age.

The 2021 Model 3 Performance is a fine car, there's no doubt about it. The improvements they've made (especially the double pane glass and heat pump) make it even more so.

FWIW, I'd rather own a new Tesla with four years of warranty on it than a 7 (soon to be 8) year old S with an aging battery pack. Just keep in mind that I'm a bit biased, though, as I freaking love my Model 3 Performance. ; ) Model 3's have really been holding their resale value well, too. It might be wise to sell your older Tesla while it still has some resale value left to it.

So many things to consider! Let us know what you do? :)
I test drove a 3 LR AWD back in June. I don’t think they had a Performance model available for a test drive at the time.

I will have to check with a sales advisor to see if the “stealth“ configuration can still be ordered, or maybe just swapping the 20” Uberturbines with 19” Geminis.

I had a 2015 Model S P85+ for six years. Absolutely loved it, but was concerned about things breaking out of warranty – I had to replace the main instrument cluster, and a door handle was about to go south. As solid and smooth and quiet as it was, it just felt “fragile.” Sold it for a great price and now have a 2021 Model 3 Performance, and could not be happier.

Although I do miss the softer ride and stunning looks of the Model S, I am enjoying my new snappy software, full self driving, iPhone key and white interior.

To be honest, if I had another $30,000, I would have purchased another Model S. :)

Trade-in offer just dropped from $44000 to $40800 today. I didn’t cross any mileage thresholds (still at 46K and change.)

Maybe the value was only higher for EOQ sales boost and now they wouldn’t be able to have a car delivered by September 30?

Or maybe the monkey hit the “drop offer by 5 to 10 percent” space on the dartboard?

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Trade-in offer just dropped from $44000 to $40800 today. I didn’t cross any mileage thresholds (still at 46K and change.)

Maybe the value was only higher for EOQ sales boost and now they wouldn’t be able to have a car delivered by September 30?

Or maybe the monkey hit the “drop offer by 5 to 10 percent” space on the dartboard?
What is your production date? Maybe you crossed the 72 month mark?

I experienced the same magnitude drop from 40 to 35 in the span of 3 months. Not really sure why such an abrupt drop. Tesla did offer low range of NADA (rough shape). Between that and private sale it is a 10-12k difference.
I also test drove a 3, and decided to stay with S. Yes 3 is tight as a drum. S is more comfortable and gracious. Throttle response is sharper in 3, but the speed is the same, S requires more throttle input. Also on a pre-Raven car regen is weaker.

Reactions: WhiteWi