Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep 2016.5 MS 75D (AP2/FSD) or upgrade 2016 MX P90D/90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scenario: I am leaving for work abroad for 1 year in another country where I can't (for both logistics considerations: no Tesla presence and sanity/rough tight roads)

2016.5 (i.e. Facelift) Model S 75D
I currently own outright a 2016.5 Model S 75D, Oct 2016 build that just managed to make the small cut-off to get AP2.0 and the free unlimited supercharging, it's got about 18K miles, and will be under warranty through Oct 2022 or 50K miles. Barebones spec (just the way I wanted it, with no air suspension, but was eligible and got the performance uncork). I also paid into the $2K FSD upgrade so it should be getting the HW3 or "FSD computer" as Elon calls it at some point.

I absolutely love this car but have been tempted with dropping prices on AP1 Model X, plus the fact that I'll be gone for a year and by the time I get back in a year I would be able to buy

Competition:
2016 Model X P90D or 90D. These would have between 30-40K miles, sold by Tesla (get the 4 year/50K warranty) and would have AP1.0, 6 seats (preferences) and the premium upgrades package. I've also seen 3rd party sellers selling a rare AP2.0 car here and there as well.

Decision:
I know I'm preaching to the MX Choir/board, but would you do the trade? I would basically sell my MS now, pocket the money, then buy an X when I get back? My brother in-law has offered to store and keep charged my MS in his garage for the year I'm gone, so no storage fees would exist. And keeping in mind that it's a year only of being away.

Would you trade the car in my signature for a 1st year MX 90D or P90D? I'm just on the fence because it's trading a mature/bugs worked out over the years Model S for a first year Model X, especially one with the controversial battery "90" battery.

Other background is we commonly have friends/family/guests over and are a 3 person household looking to expand to 4. Would really love the 3rd row and/or more cargo room for strollers/luggage, etc..

Thanks for your insights!

IMO I would keep your car that has AP2 and unlimited free super charging for life. That is a very good to have and you will never see that again. That is the only reason I am not parting with my X to a new X. When you get back then buy another one if you can for the extra space.

Reactions: Blitz3RS
IMO I would keep your car that has AP2 and unlimited free super charging for life. That is a very good to have and you will never see that again. That is the only reason I am not parting with my X to a new X. When you get back then buy another one if you can for the extra space.

Thanks for the advice, it's a nice perk nonetheless. Maybe I should just stretch and try to get an X once the Y presumably reduced X values similar to the 3 did to the S.

Reactions: Freerster and Gen3
Sell the S now, make the decision on what to buy when you get back... Everything will be cheaper then. I have one of the rare AP2 2016 Model X with Unlimited Supercharging myself, with the even more rare 5 seat folding configuration :) Took a bit to find it, but I eventually did. Anyway, a lot can change in a year, don't just sit on the depreciating unused Model S...