Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep 2016.5 MS 75D (AP2/FSD) or upgrade 2016 MX P90D/90D

Blitz3RS

Nov 2, 2018
Virginia Beach, VA
Scenario: I am leaving for work abroad for 1 year in another country where I can't (for both logistics considerations: no Tesla presence and sanity/rough tight roads)

2016.5 (i.e. Facelift) Model S 75D
I currently own outright a 2016.5 Model S 75D, Oct 2016 build that just managed to make the small cut-off to get AP2.0 and the free unlimited supercharging, it's got about 18K miles, and will be under warranty through Oct 2022 or 50K miles. Barebones spec (just the way I wanted it, with no air suspension, but was eligible and got the performance uncork). I also paid into the $2K FSD upgrade so it should be getting the HW3 or "FSD computer" as Elon calls it at some point.

I absolutely love this car but have been tempted with dropping prices on AP1 Model X, plus the fact that I'll be gone for a year and by the time I get back in a year I would be able to buy

Competition:
2016 Model X P90D or 90D. These would have between 30-40K miles, sold by Tesla (get the 4 year/50K warranty) and would have AP1.0, 6 seats (preferences) and the premium upgrades package. I've also seen 3rd party sellers selling a rare AP2.0 car here and there as well.

Decision:
I know I'm preaching to the MX Choir/board, but would you do the trade? I would basically sell my MS now, pocket the money, then buy an X when I get back? My brother in-law has offered to store and keep charged my MS in his garage for the year I'm gone, so no storage fees would exist. And keeping in mind that it's a year only of being away.

Would you trade the car in my signature for a 1st year MX 90D or P90D? I'm just on the fence because it's trading a mature/bugs worked out over the years Model S for a first year Model X, especially one with the controversial battery "90" battery.

Other background is we commonly have friends/family/guests over and are a 3 person household looking to expand to 4. Would really love the 3rd row and/or more cargo room for strollers/luggage, etc..

Thanks for your insights!

Freerster

Sep 4, 2017
Austin
IMO I would keep your car that has AP2 and unlimited free super charging for life. That is a very good to have and you will never see that again. That is the only reason I am not parting with my X to a new X. When you get back then buy another one if you can for the extra space.

Reactions: Blitz3RS

Blitz3RS

Nov 2, 2018
Virginia Beach, VA
IMO I would keep your car that has AP2 and unlimited free super charging for life. That is a very good to have and you will never see that again. That is the only reason I am not parting with my X to a new X. When you get back then buy another one if you can for the extra space.

Thanks for the advice, it's a nice perk nonetheless. Maybe I should just stretch and try to get an X once the Y presumably reduced X values similar to the 3 did to the S.

Reactions: Freerster and Gen3

clyjr

Nov 9, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Sell the S now, make the decision on what to buy when you get back... Everything will be cheaper then. I have one of the rare AP2 2016 Model X with Unlimited Supercharging myself, with the even more rare 5 seat folding configuration :) Took a bit to find it, but I eventually did. Anyway, a lot can change in a year, don't just sit on the depreciating unused Model S...

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC