Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep A/C running after leaving car, with no App?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
..been covered before, I know. My search-fu is coming up dry this morning.

HOT DAY.

Need to do many short drop offs.. and need to keep the A/C running cold while away from the car.

What's the trick when leaving the car to keep the A/C blowing.. as I take the fob with me.

Prefer to have the car secured (locked) while away from it.
Don't have a smartphone to kick A/C on using App each time.

THANKS!

The Emergency Brake button engages the parking brake.

Doh, I didn't realized that they either renamed the button, or it looks different when it's parked.

It used to look like this:

Ebrake.png

But it seems to have changed. I still call it the emergency brake.

Anyway, if your car is currently in Park, the button reads:
"CAR IS IN PARK - Press for Neutral"

and then you press it and it changes to:
"PARKING BRAKE - Brake is off"

and then you press it again, and it changes to:
"PARKING BRAKE - Brake is on"

Doh, I didn't realized that they either renamed the button, or it looks different when it's parked.

It used to look like this:

View attachment 179982

But it seems to have changed. I still call it the emergency brake.

Anyway, if your car is currently in Park, the button reads:
"CAR IS IN PARK - Press for Neutral"

and then you press it and it changes to:
"PARKING BRAKE - Brake is off"

and then you press it again, and it changes to:
"PARKING BRAKE - Brake is on"

Got it. That makes sense.

The last one is to apply Parking Brake.

BTW I do this a lot, but if somebody is staying in the car, I'd recommend unlocking your car from the app or disable go away auto lock. If your family opens the door while the car is locked, security alarm will be activated.

What happens if your passenger has the car's second key fob with them. When you as driver set the gearshift to P as usual and get out, does the car lock if you have walk away lock set? Does the AC turn off? Or does the key fob remaining in the car keep it unlocked and everything turned on?

Not sure what you mean? My instructions are:

The Emergency Brake button engages the parking brake.

On my refreshed Model S, if you try to engage the E brake by pushing the button on the end of the gear stalk, the car automatically goes from Neutral to Park, and the A/C and accessories will not stay on when you leave the car. It is necessary to set the E brake on in Control>Settings>E Brake on the computer screen.

Be advised that the car will give you a warning when you try to leave the car in Neutral with the E Brake on and ask if that's what you really want to do.

What happens if your passenger has the car's second key fob with them. When you as driver set the gearshift to P as usual and get out, does the car lock if you have walk away lock set? Does the AC turn off? Or does the key fob remaining in the car keep it unlocked and everything turned on?

If the person in the passenger seat touches the display in the first 10 seconds or so, the AC stays on and the radio keeps playing. Otherwise AC turns off and car turns off.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy